NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:
Something Russell, in his arrogance and ignorance, overlooked when he thought he could give the little woman a clip for daring to think for herself.

The whole "Well silly Sonja just listened to Clarkson and believed everything he said" line as run by Rusty and others on this thread like is the worst kind of misogyny.

She's one of the most powerful people in footy. One of the 18 people who gets to vote in a few weeks on whether a new team is added to the competition or not.

And she's earned that standing, and built that resilience, by working her guts out with disadvantaged and often marginalised communities, for years. She ran The Huddle at North, she runs the community hubs helping migrant woman now.

Rusty grandstands and wants medals for staying in touch with the people who's stories he's using as leverage for another Walkley and to feed hsi white saviour complex.

Sonja's done the hard yards there for well over a decade, actual on the grounds hard work, not sitting behind a laptop in Frankston regurgitating a drop from Phil Egan.

It is also worth remembering that Sonja stood by Majak Daw when he was targeted by racist police and charged with serious offences - and she was vindicated there too.

I only came back on this thread because the one I started about Russell's nasty misogyny was moved here - thanks to you and Wosh for letting it happen.

I'll give it a rest now until there's further developments as there's no point relitigating the only publicly available material we have via Rusty's shoddy (very likely defamatory) reporting.

But I reckon now we've seen Rusty's ugly snarling poisonous fangs out in public, it might be worth considering why other folks involved/caught up in this are behaving the way they are.

I guarantee you that if Sonja was getting word from her vast and varied footy connections that there was a big fire under this smoke, or she felt Clarkson's responses weren't good enough, she wouldn't be risking her entire reputation and career like this.

She already sacked one coach this year, she can do it to another.
"The worst kind of misogyny", get a grip. If as you say she is one of the "most powerful people in the AFL" she doesnt need you're hyperbolic cheerleading.

You do a disservice to real victims of misogyny.

The whole "Well silly Sonja just listened to Clarkson and believed everything he said" line as run by Rusty and others on this thread like is the worst kind of misogyny.
I am sure that's where it comes from for some people.

[Sonja] has form in struggling with her public comments, but in both scenarios (this and the Noble presser trainwreck)...

???

What are you talking about? Sonja was pretty much universally praised for the Noble departure press conference.

You're just completely making stuff up now. Sonja's "public comments" have been one of the things she has been frequently praised for by the media.

I don't know why anyones trying to allude to who they may be.
Fair enough. In my defence, I was just refuting a claim that was demonstrably false based on publicly available information, ie:
Fair chance one of the accusers has just been delisted by Nth.
I’m happy for mods to delete my subsequent posts if that original claim goes too.

???

What are you talking about? Sonja was pretty much universally praised for the Noble departure press conference.

You're just completely making stuff up now. Sonja's "public comments" have been one of the things she has been frequently praised for by the media.
Not too much praise over claiming that North has a "great list".

???

I imagine they are referring to the "good list" comment.

That's about the only mis-step she's had in the media but it was nothing more than a President being passionate about her club.

That's about the only mis-step she's had in the media but it was nothing more than a President being passionate about her club.

The main person who complained about that was Kane Cornes, and follownig Cornes' outburst one or two other pundits weighed in.

But he was first, and I think we've seen since that he has some weird personal grudge against Dr Hood so I don't think it's worth putting a lot of stock into that.

Other commentators and journalists praised Sonja's performance in that press conference. Mark Robinson said "I thought she was brilliant, I really did. Really strong. Really decisive."

???

🎣

She's class and very likeable, but her initial response regarding Clarkson was really poor. Senior management just can't express their opinion on the merits of an employees version of events in the face of an allegation - until that allegation has been fully investigated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason HFC and AFL are now moving on this is because of the public interest Due to the article .
They were both sitting on the report .

Your depiction of Jackson is a fantasay.
So you think the only way to get the afl to move on the report was to put the past players in potential legal jeopardy?

Like i said, if they had lawyers at the time, they most certainly would have been advised to to do it more subtlety, protect themselves, while still being able to force the afl to act.

The main person who complained about that was Kane Cornes, and follownig Cornes' outburst one or two other pundits weighed in.

But he was first, and I think we've seen since that he has some weird personal grudge against Dr Hood so I don't think it's worth putting a lot of stock into that.

Other commentators and journalists praised Sonja's performance in that press conference. Mark Robinson said "I thought she was brilliant, I really did. Really strong. Really decisive."
We rate Robbo's opinion now?

So you think the only way to get the afl to move on the report was to put the past players in potential legal jeopardy?

Like i said, if they had lawyers at the time, they most certainly would have been advised to to do it more subtlety, protect themselves, while still being able to force the afl to act.
It doesn't sound like the people in the story are in a strong enough finincial situation to have any concern regarding a defamation case being directed at them.

???

You need to spend less time on the North Board dude.

She's class and very likeable, but her initial response regarding Clarkson was really poor. Senior management just can't express their opinion on the merits of an employees version of events in the face of an allegation - until that allegation has been fully investigated.
I guess we'll all know whether she was right to do that when the AFL inquiry wraps up.
In the meantime, you won't find too many North supporters who took issue with how she's conservatively acknowledged she'd familiarised herself with Clarkson's version of events and found it to be a plausible account.

Weird how there seems to be more people who have a problem with her comments than those who've called out Jeff Kennett for flat out complaining that the leaking of the allegations was "unfair," and describing the revelation an indigenous Hawks player was allegedly told to have a pregnancy terminated as "a bump along the highway".

I wonder what possible reason there could be for that double standard.

I guess we'll all know whether she was right to do that when the AFL inquiry wraps up.
In the meantime, you won't find too many North supporters who took issue with how she's conservatively acknowledged she'd familiarised herself with Clarkson's version of events and found it to be a plausible account.

Weird how there seems to be more people who have a problem with her comments than those who've called out Jeff Kennett for flat out complaining that the leaking of the allegations was "unfair," and describing the revelation an indigenous Hawks player was allegedly told to have a pregnancy terminated as "a bump along the highway".

I wonder what possible reason there could be for that double standard.

It doesn't matter on the outcome. It was inappropriate for her to comment on it until it'd been fully investigated.

North supporters have this arse up. An investigative journalist can write from one perspective about Clarkson's alleged misdemeanours at Hawthorn. A company president shouldn't be saying anything about Clarkson's alleged misdemeanours at Hawthorn until they're fully investigated.

No one's pushing back about Kennett's comment being criticised, thus it's gone quiet. North supporters are pushing back about Sonja's comment being called stupid, thus it's still being discussed.

It doesn't matter on the outcome. It was inappropriate for her to comment on it until it'd been fully investigated.

North supporters have this arse up. An investigative journalist can write from one perspective about Clarkson's alleged misdemeanours at Hawthorn. A company president shouldn't be saying anything about Clarkson's alleged misdemeanours at Hawthorn until they're fully investigated.

No one's pushing back about Kennett's comment being criticised, thus it's gone quiet. North supporters are pushing back about Sonja's comment being called stupid, thus it's still being discussed.

Difference is no-one has much time for Kennett and many if not most have some time for Hood.

One of the more surprising aspects of the Hawks review was that Egan was retained to do the work.

Why are you so convinced about that? And why does it matter so much? There is no jury to unduly influence or trial to prejudice.

[

I agree.

She acknowledged on SEN a couple of days after the Noble trainwreck (the whole package was a disaster, not all on her performance). She told them that it was her first Press conference, and she was freaking out. Fair enough too. Tough situation, and she handled it as well as anyone probably could have.

Those press conferences are never done right. There is no right way to sack someone publicly whilst they're sitting there next to you.

But in terms of her ill informed Clarkson comments, as I said, she has form:

I should also note that I think I got a fair amount of criticism for describing it as a great list. I apologise for the hyperbole in that”

She was wrong, and acknowledged it. She's not a polished media performer, yet.

So I wasn't surprised to see the subsequent club statement wind back the Clarkson position fairly considerably.

And without stoking the whole Russell Jackson thing up too much (I'd never heard of the guy before this), I can understand how her initial comments would have triggered some bemusement and even anger, given her role in the community.
As much as this is story has a racism tone to it, it also clearly has a strong misogynist tone to it - which made her relatively strong support of Clarkson extra weird.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back