NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:
Heard Betts comments on AFL 360 about how he was told to get out of the pool by a couple.

What the * is wrong with people i was bloody disgusted after hearing how we was treated those people should be bloody embrassed and ashamed.
No the couple asked the lifeguard to ask him to get out of the pool because it was making their kid feel uncomfortable. And the lifeguard obliged.

I mean WTAF, how did the lifeguard actually think that would be the right thing to do.

Abusers groom their character witnesses as well as their victims because it works so well

Exactly.

And again I’m not saying at all that I’m convinced of anyones guilt or whatever I’m just saying that all the good deeds in the world aren’t a bulletproof vest against doing the wrong thing

As a proud Aboriginal man I am broken but not even slightly surprised. If even part of it is true then those involved must never be recognised in our game. They must be wiped from our history.
These alleged atrocities if proven would be AFL Footballs darkest day. We were born fighting for equality and still we fight.
What about current St Kilda coach Brett Ratten? He was an assistant coach at Hawthorn between 2012-2018...
Beveridge 2012 - 2014.

For those wanting to champion Clarkos “character and personality” as reasons he could never do what’s alleged.

Dude was a control freak that over stepped in players lives time and again. You read Jake Nialls article and you don’t walk away going “yeah there’s no way Clarko could ever possibly do what’s been alleged”.

Seriously, what sort of moron goes and buys a puppy and dumps it on a player (or anyone) on a whim that they may be lonely?

That’s whacked on so many levels. First, does Birchall even like pets? Nope. Does he know how to care for a pet? Nope. Does Clarkson have a clue how much of a burden a pet is on someone that don’t want one?? Clearly not.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Plenty of people that have experience with Fagan aren't shocked going back to his days coaching in Tassie

Elite sport does this all the time, its just mostly covered up re how it treats athletes and their families

People who watched the Tour De France on SBS might recall the discussion they had about how the team bosses treat the cyclists when they get injured in a race. The context of the discussion was a injured & clearly struggling Ben O'Connor looking like he was wanted to retire but getting pushed to continue in the race by the team boss.

Hey buddy, do you remember that time that Clarkson had an aggressive alteraction with a Port Adelaide fan, resulting in the fan being punched? No?
Do you remember the time he abused an amateur, junior football umpire at his son's football match? No? I do.
Oh, and do you remember the time he punched a hole in the wall of the coaches box? Yeah, I do.
What a reputable human being he is. He could never have done anything like this...
Not to mention the role played in 'The Battle of Britain' exhibition match in London in 1987.

If they drafted a kid from a troubled background.

Are they more racist for trying to straighten him out, or if they hadn't drafted him in the first place ( like all the other clubs ).
If you believe the stories, the problem with this is they drove their wedges without knowing anything about the relationships. Pretty hard to imagine anything other than racial stereotyping driving that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the article. All the below should be verifiable

“Short on alternatives, she went to a police station and asked if they could carry out a welfare check on Zac, providing the phone numbers of Clarkson, Burt and Fagan. She says the police called them but none answered, and that a message was left with Burt.

In a string of increasingly panicked emails, Kylie sought explanations from Hawthorn officials, or even confirmation that her partner was safe.”

“In one of the emails, to the club's most senior management, Kylie's torment can be summarised in one line: "Not one person has contacted me and asked if I'm OK or needed help, nobody has checked that the baby is OK."

“I have not heard a word from Hawthorn since the last time I emailed them, and their response to that email was that my issues were 'beyond their scope of expertise and influence '."

Verifiable by whom? Why would they have access to the records on either side/related parties e.g player/managers ?

May be more difficult than it appears.

It's not about blaming people for those sins. And most of us Indigenous Australians don't, for the simple reason that so many of us are, by definition, also descended from white rapists. It's about the fact that those sins have consequences. The most obvious being the dispossession of Indigenous people and the generational trauma inflicted on them which have consequences today. We have, for instance, Gil at the head of the AFL. Everyone jokes about his posh background and the fact that he plays polo. Is he responsible for the sins of his grazier ancestors? You could argue that, as long as he draws revenue from land that was stolen, that, to some extent he does. His uncle, the former head of the National Farmers' Federation, was a cabinet minister in the Howard government when it enacted the Northern Territory "Invasion", legislating to exempt itself from the Racial Discrimination Act in order to do so. Another member of that cabinet, Alexander Downer, had a more immediate connection to past "sins" in that his grandfather, as Premier of SA in the 1880s, presided over a series of massacres in the NT Gulf Country. Systemic racism isn't just about attitudes, it's about power and about how that power is wielded to exclude and oppress people of colour. That could include the power of a cop, or even a pool attendant. It could, of course be the power of a football coach.

Do you think we will get to the day when we can look at a matter like this and simply judge it as appalling, unacceptable, and unsafe alleged behaviour by Clarkson, Fagan, Hawthorn and co - nothing more, nothing less?

Let's be real. If he had gone to the AFL, they would've done everything they could to bury it and stick it in a drawer. Look at the report they commissioned regarding female umpires. Managed to keep that buried for 6 months before some.of the more damning comments got out (and according to a late night caller on SEN who is said she was part of the female umpiring community, nothing has actually been done to address the issues raised in the report). They tried giving the bombers a slap on the wrist for the drugs saga until WADA/ASADA said no go.

If you think the AFL actually has integrity or care about a fair competition than I have a non existent house to sell you. They care about their brand and money as first and foremost. Clubs, especially the bigger ones drive that
Surely Gilligan is tarnished from all this. Cant possibly be off to run the Olympics.

Under his time, its been scandal after scandal. Off the top of my head...

1) drug saga
2) adelaide issue
3) aFL house culture issues
4) female umpiring issues
5) mortgaging Marvel as the AFL suddenly ran out of money 2 weeks into covid
6) multiple racism stories now

Doesnt look like a CEO that leads great culture. But he is one that cashes in on token gestures and sweeping things under the rug

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Do you think we will get to the day when we can look at a matter like this and simply judge it as appalling, unacceptable, and unsafe alleged behaviour by Clarkson, Fagan, Hawthorn and co - nothing more, nothing less?
Are you suggesting that the racial element should be ignored? Or simply that Clarko and co should only be judged for their actions and not those of Colonial governors?

Off topic, but the AFL have had it out for us ever since we turned them down to go to the Gold Coast. Like I said in a separate post, thinking the AFL has any integrity or cares about a fair competition when their priority is to protect their brand and $ is laughable.

Yes, we had massive bad luck with what has transpired in the last 36 hours but that assistance package was the final nail in the coffin for me believing the AFL actually gives a * about North.

Better this stuff comes out now with Clarko than a year from now, or even 6 months from now. Can cut losses very early now.

Since when did we become a society that blamed people for the sins of their ancestors?

Go back far enough in history, and each and every one of us have ancestors who - looking through the lens of modern values - we’d be embarrassed and appalled by.

It's hard to blame someone for the sins of their ancestors when they have for 200 years refused to even acknowledge the sins of their ancestors.

Hodge admitted things like this was discussed. But no one had done what was stated. I would think a captain during the 3-peat era would have some knowledge if something was happening.
No one had done to him? We’re not talking about Hodge. We’re talking about a young Aboriginal fella. He may not have said anything to anyone so as not to make waves.

Surely Gilligan is tarnished from all this. Cant possibly be off to run the Olympics.

Under his time, its been scandal after scandal. Off the top of my head...

1) drug saga
2) adelaide issue
3) aFL house culture issues
4) female umpiring issues
5) mortgaging Marvel as the AFL suddenly ran out of money 2 weeks into covid
6) multiple racism stories now

Doesnt look like a CEO that leads great culture. But he is one that cashes in on token gestures and sweeping things under the rug

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
I don't think any of them can be pinned to him and think he'll be highly regarded in administrative circles for pulling off season 2020. That was a pretty magnificent effort to keep the show on the road.

It is possible that the indigenous person is lieing, are you saying 100% that he is not lieing and how would you know either way unless you were there? Hopefully it's more a case of the truth being somewhere in the middle between telling a player to get his partner to have an abortion and Clarko's complete denials. Obviously as well Hawthorn need to get an Indigenous welfare manager full time at the Club to oversee/manage all these types of issues.

On level of probability, the fact there are 3 seperate player stories and the chance of all of them being made up seems very low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back