Hawthorn renamed - The Tassie Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
fusion said:
I've just head the news - is this jumper for real? The brown and yellow are already ugly - but this jumper is awful.

I'm a bit confused - Will Hawthorn be known in the official AFL fixture/ladder etc as "Hawthorn" or "Tassie Hawks"? If it is still Hawthorn, then what's the big deal? It would be dreadful to win a flag and have "Tassie Hawks" engraved on the cup.

I didn't really like us having "Kangaroos" engraved on the 1999 cup, would have preferred "NM". I guess it's a nice dilemma to have.

It's more like the 'Camry Crows' or over here the 'Coke Wildcats' was used quite a lot. It's a sponser name rather than a new name for the club like the Dogs or North.

Black JuJu said:
Of course you don't, but if the media jump on it and the presence of the Tasmania logo on the jumper it could become something that is brought up more often than other such sponser names. Say an advert is done to promote Tasmania and references the 'Tassie Hawks' with a big picture of Luke Hodge with a Tassie logo on his Hawks jumper, to a casual follower of the game, that would cause a lot of confusion. Remember it's the casual supporters of the AFL that make the difference between clubs getting by and clubs making real money.

Yea i agree, I never hear of the Lease Plan Bulldogs, or even the HSBC Hawks or the Lexus Magpies or the Ford Cats. But i have no doubt i'll hear the Tassie Hawks every weekend when they play. Must be confusing for casual supporters or ever Kids. The Hawthorn Tasmanian Hawks.

fusion said:
I'm a bit confused - Will Hawthorn be known in the official AFL fixture/ladder etc as "Hawthorn" or "Tassie Hawks"? If it is still Hawthorn, then what's the big deal? It would be dreadful to win a flag and have "Tassie Hawks" engraved on the cup.

I didn't really like us having "Kangaroos" engraved on the 1999 cup, would have preferred "NM". I guess it's a nice dilemma to have.

It is not an official name change, as was the case with North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs. Sadly, some of the more 'challenged' members of the forum are unable to grasp this small, but significant, difference.

And I agree - it must have been dreadful for all those NM supporters to deal with that premiership cup 'naming rights' dilemma.

fusion said:
I've just head the news - is this jumper for real? The brown and yellow are already ugly - but this jumper is awful.

err... you do know what we call a "Map of Tassie" don't you?

Do a Google search if you don't.

PS The Brown and Gold are their current colours.

LOL! All Dawks supporters bag us about relocating!

Tassie Hawks + Map of Tassie on jumper + 4 game deal (for now)

I smell relocation!

Suck **** Dawks, might want to speak carefully about us going to the Gold Coast, cause looks like your being softened for a move!

Butane said:
Yea i agree, I never hear of the Lease Plan Bulldogs, or even the HSBC Hawks or the Lexus Magpies or the Ford Cats. But i have no doubt i'll hear the Tassie Hawks every weekend when they play. Must be confusing for casual supporters or ever Kids. The Hawthorn Tasmanian Hawks.

Why do you have no doubt of it? Is Steve Quartermain going to scream 'and here comes the Hawthorn Tasmanian Hawks' Buddy Franklin, who kicks accurately from the boundary to give the Hawthorn Tasmanian Hawks a nineteen point lead'? (x6!)

I think there are people who are enjoying the opportunity to stir Hawkk and some others up, without thinking about what it all actually means.

Thaihawk said:
Richmond, Melbourne, Roos and Dog supporters are jeleous because they rely on AFL support to survive. This is a five year deal, the same as any other major sponsor deal that's going to set our club up to be one of the wealthiest in the AFL.:) :)

WE will always be HAWTHORN!

Just to reinforce a point we have not recieved one extra cent from the AFL. All we got was a guarentee what we would receive for our dividends that year. Standard business practise.

Lets Roar

Khan

It must be said that Tassie Hawks supporters can never again bag Melbourne supporters again for being 'pro-merger'

With this move, Kennett has basically set the wheels in motion for a future relocation.

Mero said:
err... you do know what we call a "Map of Tassie" don't you?

I just asked if that jumper that was posted was for real, or someone taking the ****. Where did I ask about a map of Tassie? I heard on the radio that there would be a Tasmanian logo on the jumper, so I thought that maybe a jumper had been designed. (I know its officially brown and gold.... and you also know what everyone else calls the colours.)

If Hawthorn is still officially known as Hawthorn in the match program/fixture etc then this is all a storm in a teacup. "Selling your soul" is what my club and Footscray have done, by officially renaming the club. At least we had the sense to change our theme song back from the "Kangaroo" version to the "NM" version.

I think Hawthorn has got a great deal, in securing a lot of money, and guaranteeing matches at the MCG. It sounds better than the deal North has got for the Gold Coast.

I've given up...I'm going off to take a cold shower.

I hope to god Kennett and co. can organise a good deal for the Victorian members because if we can't get 11 games at the MCG we have well and truely been sold up the river.

Just remember what happened the last time Hawthorn supporters were sold up the river....

I'm not concerned about the gay marketing name or the 4 games in Tasmania, I'm concerned about our presence at the MCG - which apparently isn't assured of yet.

Hawkk said:
Traditionally we don't travel much to Geelong and interstate.

We have begun playing St Kilda and the Doggies in Melbourne now when traditionally they were always the teams along with North and Melbourne that we used to play down in Geelong. The Hawks will be picking up the slack for as long as they are below them on the ladder and drawing inferior crowds for our matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LongBomb said:
It must be said that Tassie Hawks supporters can never again bag Melbourne supporters again for being 'pro-merger'

With this move, Kennett has basically set the wheels in motion for a future relocation.

Then why did we move to Waverley? My god people on here have NFI:mad: It is a sponsorship people. Is it that hard to understand? Every team has sponsors (Even the Kangas Roosurgence)! You need them to survive. Hawthorn will remain a Melbourne based team and are now financially secure for the future

Fusion, just take deep breaths and give thanks for that fact that you have a brain that allows you to see the complexity of the issue.

The Vic based clubs outside the Big 4 have to create strategies that will see them remain Vic-based. And in response to those who say that this is the first step to relocation - you fail to recognise that Tasmania simply does not have the economy to support a team on it's own.

Trav 20 said:
Well, they play like *****

yeah right Trav, we own SouthEast Victoria, now we own Tassie, 15 million bucks in the bank, Waverly Park all ours, the best young kids in the comp! When your watching the replays at your Snow resort holiday next season, you will witness the most successful club both on and off the field in the Hawks, after salivating at Franklin and Ellis and Hodge and Mitchell, you can watch a reel (dont think VHS was invented at the time of your last flag) in black and white of Melbournes most recent premiership. You can rejoice whilst watching Hassa Mann and the MCC members throwing there top hats in the air after every goal ...

Didnt your club actually vote to merge?

BUBBALOUIS said:
yeah right Trav, we own SouthEast Victoria, now we own Tassie, 15 million bucks in the bank, Waverly Park all ours, the best young kids in the comp! When your watching the replays at your Snow resort holiday next season, you will witness the most successful club both on and off the field in the Hawks, after salivating at Franklin and Ellis and Hodge and Mitchell, you can watch a reel (dont think VHS was invented at the time of your last flag) in black and white of Melbournes most recent premiership. You can rejoice whilst watching Hassa Mann and the MCC members throwing there top hats in the air after every goal ...

Didnt your club actually vote to merge?

:thumbsu: :D

Roosurgence said:
I allways knew the Dawks were a bunch of girls, now they are showing us their map of Tassie:D

Whoo ho ho ho. You really are a brain surgeon, aren't you? Quit whatever you do now and go into comedy. Seriously. :rolleyes:

That joke has been done 420 times already moron.

Roosurgence said:
LOL! All Dawks supporters bag us about relocating!

Tassie Hawks + Map of Tassie on jumper + 4 game deal (for now)

I smell relocation!

Suck **** Dawks, might want to speak carefully about us going to the Gold Coast, cause looks like your being softened for a move!

You must like making yourself look stupid.

Hawthorn are still called Hawthorn
North elbourne are now the 'Kangaroos'

We will get $600,000 per game in Tasmania.
You will get $400,000 per game on the Gold Coast.

We have 27-30,000 members
You've never broken 25,000.

We have a state of the art facility in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne that will one day be ours.
Your ****hole burnt down.

Our club is, as far as mergers and relocations are concerned, are mentioned behind Melbourne, St. Kilda, Western Bulldogs and the Kangaroos.
Your club is the most likely, given the Gold Coast will more than likely be the next location for a team. You have a major foot in the grave, whoops I mean door.

LongBomb said:

You idiot.

windyhill said:
Embarassing. Right up there with carlton`s m&m jumper.

3 mobile Bombers along with the Essendon team is embarrassing, Tassie Hawks is better than HSBC Hawks. :thumbsu:

Also why are Melbourne fans so eager to give crap over this, its feels like a beggar laughing at your new suit. :confused:

eros said:
The Vic based clubs outside the Big 4 have to create strategies that will see them remain Vic-based. And in response to those who say that this is the first step to relocation - you fail to recognise that Tasmania simply does not have the economy to support a team on it's own.

Well summed up. Having lived in Tassie for 6 months last year, I just can't see how their economy could support a full time team. If they can sell out every game and buy a heap of memberships over the next five years, then that may change, but I can't see it happening.

Hawthorn, Melbourne, North and Footscray have all bein proactive in trying to bring in more revenue to try to ensure their survival in VICTORIA. I've yet to find a passionate supporter of any of these four teams that genuinely want their team to relocate or end up like Fitzroy.

It would be negligent to not try new things (North experimented with Friday night footy, developing corporate sponsorship in the 70s, coming up with a Grand Final Breakfast, playing home games in Sydney, then Canberra, and now Gold Coast, renaming the club for broader appeal, playing in ugly orange and white jumpers for sponsorship etc)

Most people say that the Vic market is saturated, and cannot support the current number of teams, so the poorer clubs have to look at playing a few games elsewhere unfortunately. The big clubs will always be powerful and attract better sponsors. The little clubs like North and Footscray will always be fighting for survival, having to experiment. I'm happy with the way things are - it would be an uninteresting competition if there were no underdogs, and it was just the current 6 interstate teams and 4 powerful Vic teams.

Hawkk said:
No it's not, we have been assured of 11 games at the MCG.

Traditionally we don't travel much to Geelong and interstate.

We will get 14 games in Melbourne.

Not quite. No deal has been done, as posted on the tassie hawk website:

Hawks future secured with double announcement
10:57:25 AM Fri 1 September, 2006
Hawks future secured with double announcement

The Hawthorn Football Club is today proud to announce the signing of two partnership deals for the 2007 season and beyond.

A new five year deal has been struck with the Tasmanian Government, which will become the Club’s Naming Rights Partner, effective from January 2007.

The Club is also pleased to announce its three year relationship with HSBC will continue, with the bank negotiating a further three year Principal Partner agreement.

To top off today’s exciting announcements, the Hawthorn Football Club has become the second Victorian-based AFL club, alongside Geelong, to play matches at its own homeground as Aurora Stadium officially becomes its home-away-from-home.

Subject to final sign off with the AFL, the Club intends to play four home games each year at Aurora Stadium during the home-and-away season for the next five years. The Tasmanian matches will be a mix of games between Victorian and non-Victorian teams.

Hawthorn President Jeff Kennett said the Club was looking forward to enjoying an exciting and successful future with two very strong brands, which will share the Hawks’ jumper.

“As a result of the new agreement we will have a split jumper — Tasmania on the front and HSBC on the back,” Mr Kennett said.

While the Tasmanian Government Naming Rights Partnership is commercially attractive, there was more than money involved in making the deal.

“We have been playing games in Tasmania since 2001 and our team enjoys playing at Aurora Stadium,” Mr Kennett said.

“In addition to that, we have a very supportive following within the Tasmanian community which, along with the eastern region of Victoria, we intend to grow into a thriving membership base.”

Tasmanian Premier Paul Lennon said the Tasmanian community had demonstrated its passion for live AFL football over the last six years and the State had taken another major step forward in its commitment to the game.

“The deal will see the Tasmanian brand promoted nationally like never before and will ensure that Aurora Stadium remains a vital part of AFL operations for years to come,” Mr Lennon said.

Mr Kennett described Hawthorn’s association with HSBC as a successful partnership which the Club looked forward to continuing.

“HSBC has been a wonderful partner and we are very pleased we were able to reach agreement with HSBC to become our Principal Partner from 2007,” Mr Kennett said.

HSBC Chief Executive Officer Stuart Davis said the deal was a win-win for Hawthorn and HSBC and looked forward to further on-field successes.

“HSBC has enjoyed a successful partnership with Hawthorn over the past three years and we look forward to continuing as principal partner from 2007,” he said.

“Research shows HSBC is in the top five most recognised AFL sponsors. This is testimony to our successful partnership to date and it provides a platform for HSBC to build our brand through this new relationship.”

While respecting that the AFL controls the home and away season, Hawthorn hopes to leverage from the deal to play more games in Tasmania by negotiating more games played at the MCG.

“The Club is working with the AFL, within the overall fixture process, to maximise the number of home and away games at the MCG,” Mr Kennett said

Doesn't sound like the 11 games at the MCG is a done deal yet :rolleyes:

eros said:
Fusion, just take deep breaths and give thanks for that fact that you have a brain that allows you to see the complexity of the issue.

If that is the case its doing a bloody good job disguising how it is doing a seriously large slice of that right here. For some reason people think that a city of the size of Geelong and basically Ford works fine but Hobart and Cadbury's wont. I am not saying for one second I am happy with what has transpired here, particularly as a tax payer, but those who assume Tassie hasnt got at least the equivalent base in terms of population and industry that Geelong has are misguided. FFS we get 20,000+ to a game in Launcestion which is almost one third the size of Hobart.

It can certainly support its own AFL side if it got serious, moved it to Hobart and actively sought backing, but the AFL dont want that, they'd prefer untested waters in Qld to a smaller fry of already die hard AFL support they knwo they dont need to win over.

There's a massive difference between being named after a sponsor and being named after a state.

Any Hawthorn supporter who says otherwise is deluding themselves to the path that this step puts them on.

Hawthorn might as well just relocate IMO

Dont try and sell me this sponsorship spin, the fact is for 4 games a year your no longer the Hawthorn Hawks your the Tassie Hawks.

If so next years fixtures will have the Tassie Hawks written on them.

If I was a member I'd be ****ed right off, talk about selling out. Surely the Hawthorn board could have come up with some other alternative, you have sold your name.

Might aswell go the whole way and just jump into the deep end.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back