Hawthorn renamed - The Tassie Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it true that hawks only play 11 games in vic? Would make it pretty hard to mount a real flag challenge?

4 games at a semi neutral venue?
11 at neutral vic venues?
7 interstate?

MAG87 said:
chill mate. and what are you saying. wce are gonna be relocated to west sydney LMAO. i wouldnt want hawthorn or any team in that matter to be relocated it makes any fan angry. but for you suggesting wce would move to sydney is preposterous. your club is more likely to go than wce which is arguably the richest club behind adelaide and still used to reap in crowds when they were on the bottom of the ladder.
ahh shaddup - i thought you were a dog supporter:D

I guess Tassie Hawks supporters should be happythey did not get the Tas Government's prefered name change:
The Tassie Spuds.

rodogs said:
Is it true that hawks only play 11 games in vic? Would make it pretty hard to mount a real flag challenge?

7 interstate?
No,

11 home ground - MCG
4 home ground - Hawk Park
3 Neutral venue - Victoria
4 Interstate

How are the AFL chairty payments going btw?

rodogs said:

7 interstate?

A minimum of 11 games in Melbourne. The other 11 will consist of a minimum of 4 away interstate games (although I've heard this could be the maximum), 4 Tasmanian games and a further 3 Melbourne games, ie v St. Kilda, Bulldogs or Kangaroos at the Dome.

Hawkk said:
No,

11 home ground - MCG
4 Interstate

How are the AFL chairty payments going btw?

charity is not actually a dirty word. i think they're going well - might make a profit sometime soon. but the 17 games in melb have been all very enjoyable this year

rodogs said:
charity is not actually a dirty word. i think they're going well - might make a profit sometime soon. but the 17 games in melb have been all very enjoyable this year
Well we have made profits for the last 10 years champ.

You won't be playing 17 games in Melbourne - rather 15 compared to our 14, and your West Sydney bound in 8-10 years.

Hawkk said:
11 home ground - MCG
4 Interstate

You have been guaranteed 11 matches in Victoria and that is all.

Pure speculation to think you will get any more than this.
It is all up to AFL scheduling now.

Hawkk said:

You won't be playing 17 games in Melbourne - rather 15 compared to our 14, and your West Sydney bound in 8-10 years.

Source? ...yeah - there isn't one is there.

Dogs are safe.

We get to attend 17 games in melb ;)

LongBomb said:
You have been guaranteed 11 matches in Victoria and that is all.

Pure speculation to think you will get any more than this.
It is all up to AFL scheduling now.
No it's not, we have been assured of 11 games at the MCG.

Traditionally we don't travel much to Geelong and interstate.

We will get 14 games in Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkk said:
No it's not, we have been assured of 11 games at the MCG.

Traditionally we don't travel much to Geelong and interstate.

We will get 14 games in Melbourne.

traditionally you were called hawthorn

LongBomb said:
I'd feel gutted if I was a hawthorn supporter.

This on top of only having 11 matches in Victoria next year. :thumbsdown:

Trust Kennett to sell the club off.
Bit weird because the sponser is the name of a state, so it sounds like we are relocating.

But we are currently known as HSBC hawks, but I haven't heard anyone refer to us on this forum as that sponsors name since the company was given the naming rights for us.

Hypothetically Tassie should work the same way, but because of the place been an actual state, unfortunately we'll probably hear Tassie Hawks been used a little more than HSBC.

The club is still the Hawthorn football, is primarily based in Melbourne, have moved to Waverly to make use of the high class facilities, but have done a deal with Tassie which benefits us greatly for the future (5 years of very decent revenue to help us survive and take advantage of two membership bases).

I heard someone say they'd be annoyed if they 'only' got to see their side 11 times in a season. But that's pretty much the same as interstate side, and coming from a Geelong support who doesn't get to see them 11 times in Geelong anyway is a bit hypocritical.

I would have thought the map on the jumper was enough though to pay back Tassie, it'll be interesting if Kennett tries to play this down because obviously the Tassie premier was going to over state the importance of the naming rights to Tasmanian people. I doubt many/any of our supporters would refer to us as that.

OldMav said:
Too many teams in Victoria and i seee this as the first step for a relocation.
I see you as being a douche bag.

I also see Melbourne, Bulldogs, Kangaroos and possibly St.Kilda leaving the scene before us.

*While the Saints don't sell any games interstate, at relative positions on the ladder (2006 Hawks vs 2002 Saints) we are much much stronger financially.

OldMav said:
Too many teams in Victoria and i seee this as the first step for a relocation.
I doubt we'd be one of the teams that would be forced to relocate though, we've been doing pretty well off the field of late and if anything this should begin to guarantee a long term future.

vanders said:
No different to Camry Crows, HSBC Hawks etc. Its all for advertising purposes.
Agree although I think it may be used a little more because of it been a State.

It is a sponsor that's all, but tourism tasmanian hawks would have been better perhaps to highlight that it is only a sponsor, and not a name change as such which can't go through without members consent.

Hawkk said:

We've heard that for the last 15 years, I'm glad your still confident the move will happen coz I'm not too sure after being handed all that money by the Federal Government...maybe we should have been named the Australian Bulldogs ;)

I actually feel bad for you guys...I don't think its any good for a football club to align its name with another location. Hopefully, in 5 years time it won't be renewed.

cschreuder61 said:
and coming from a Geelong support who doesn't get to see them 11 times in Geelong anyway is a bit hypocritical.

It's not hypocritical at all.
I get to watch my club 17 times a year in Victoria.

You get 11. Maybe one or two more if you are lucky.

LongBomb said:
It's not hypocritical at all.
I get to watch my club 17 times a year in Victoria.

You get 11. Maybe one or two more if you are lucky.
In Victoria, but its still not your home side, its plays its game an hour or so out of Geelong. Its about a 50 minute plane flight to Launie and heaps of supporters come over. Its not difficult to watch the game.

Plus more MCG games, as I believe our supports don't embrace Telstra Dome as much as other clubs which should increase our melbourne membership.

We can still watch our side in Victoria about as much as the interstate sides.

I'm happy with the deal, and we wouldn't do it unless it was benefiting the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back