Hawthorn Training Sunshine Coast 13.12.12

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone able to provide some more reports on the training up at sunshine coast? :)
Added some pics of last session. www.sunnycoast.shutterfly.com

Killkenny flying
Smith best of the runners and has bulked up.
Woodward looking ready. Doing all drills
Hill much bigger. Pulled up sore today, no big deal
Spang has a big tank as does Grimmers
Shiels being nursed as is Hodge.
Lake impressive, great mark.
Schoe definitely bigger
Ellis still looks like you could snap him in 2.

Goal shooting was impressive today, including Buddy.

Just my hunch but I'd expect Killer and Hill to play significant roles next year. Smith is burning up the track.

Thanks for the report and photos Hawker08, greatly appreciated. Interested to know your thoughts on Ceglar, Grimely and Lowden. Where do you see them in terms of us going forward? Also, how's Amos looking?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the report and photos Hawker08, greatly appreciated. Interested to know your thoughts on Ceglar, Grimely and Lowden. Where do you see them in terms of us going forward? Also, how's Amos looking?

Thanks again!

On the track, Grimley kills them for fitness. Skill wise Lowden looks the goods and is clearly tallest of the 3. Ceglar doesn't excite me at all, insurance only. Grimley looks more suited to key defence, where Lowden looked far more capable in ruck drills. They'll all play 2nd and 3rd fiddle to Big Max, Hale and Rough.
Can see Lowden getting a good run pre season cup but really can't see any of the 3 playing if Max stays fit.
Amos looks like a completely different player. Last year he was carrying plenty of condition, he now looks fit and hard. Thought his skills were a bit hit and miss. Jury still out for mine but expect he'll be given a chance to impress in pre season stuff. FWIW Wang seems to show more at this stage and is a very similar type.

I don't want to go too early on this but I am delighted to read Kilkenny is showing a bit. As the best young player in the GAA he would be expected to have exceptional athletic ability but there would be question marks about his ability to adapt it to our game. Let's hope he continues his rapid development.

Added some pics of last session. www.sunnycoast.shutterfly.com

Killkenny flying
Smith best of the runners and has bulked up.
Woodward looking ready. Doing all drills
Hill much bigger. Pulled up sore today, no big deal
Spang has a big tank as does Grimmers
Shiels being nursed as is Hodge.
Lake impressive, great mark.
Schoe definitely bigger
Ellis still looks like you could snap him in 2.

Goal shooting was impressive today, including Buddy.

Just my hunch but I'd expect Killer and Hill to play significant roles next year. Smith is burning up the track.

I'm liking what I'm hearing, Hawker08. :thumbsu: Big hopes on Woody and Hill pushing for senior spots and, who knows, dare I say possibly even Irish?

Good to see Lake continuing an impressive pre-season by all reports.

I don't want to go too early on this but I am delighted to read Kilkenny is showing a bit. As the best young player in the GAA he would be expected to have exceptional athletic ability but there would be question marks about his ability to adapt it to our game. Let's hope he continues his rapid development.
His skills were solid and held up in match simulation. Snapped a couple of nice goals. He runs to the right spots and appears suited to a running half back role. Killer's fitness was second only to Smith. Bring on the pre season cup so he can show his stuff.

I'm liking what I'm hearing, Hawker08. :thumbsu: Big hopes on Woody and Hill pushing for senior spots and, who knows, dare I say possibly even Irish?

Good to see Lake continuing an impressive pre-season by all reports.

Lake is the missing piece of the jigsaw. I can see Shoe growing a leg with the big fella on board. Wood, Hill and Irish are a lock for preseason stuff. They'll play a role this year. Wood seems to have trimmed down but still has the tree trunk legs. Hill is much bigger, I'd be checking the odds for "rising star". I'd expect Killer to be the 1st rookie elevated.

Of the 3 I'd expect Hill to play Rd1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks H08. Did you notice if the rucks were doing anything different in their training to get ready for the no contact rule?
No specific ruck training, they just had standard match practice (two games at once across the field) They'd throw the ball up and the two rucks would duke it out. Once a goal was scored they'd send the ball back to the middle. Lowden and Max most dominant. Hale and Rough weren't involved in ruck work from what I saw. see pics and video

Any comments on Suckling/Birchall? Are any of them being groomed into a winger role? Trying to figure out who makes way in the back 6. o_O

Im yet to hear anything about Burgoyne so far!!

The rumour about a blood clot in his ankle earlier must be true!!

Hawker08 did you see Burgoyne taking part in any of the training?

On the track, Grimley kills them for fitness. Skill wise Lowden looks the goods and is clearly tallest of the 3. Ceglar doesn't excite me at all, insurance only. Grimley looks more suited to key defence, where Lowden looked far more capable in ruck drills. They'll all play 2nd and 3rd fiddle to Big Max, Hale and Rough.
Can see Lowden getting a good run pre season cup but really can't see any of the 3 playing if Max stays fit.
Amos looks like a completely different player. Last year he was carrying plenty of condition, he now looks fit and hard. Thought his skills were a bit hit and miss. Jury still out for mine but expect he'll be given a chance to impress in pre season stuff. FWIW Wang seems to show more at this stage and is a very similar type.

Lowden, close, but no Ceglar?

Any comments on Suckling/Birchall? Are any of them being groomed into a winger role? Trying to figure out who makes way in the back 6. o_O
Birch has a real presence on the track as does Gibbo. Birch looking great (solid) while Suckling seems slimmer for mine. No real defined match practice to indicate they'll be going to a wing.

Implants?
Hill is a flying machine on the track. Smith winning 1 km TT easily. Hill and Killer coming in second/third, although Hill sat out most of the running stuff yesterday and told the lads he couldn't kick. He wasn't hobbling, so no big deal there. Bruest has a good tank as is definitely bigger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn Training Sunshine Coast 13.12.12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back