Preview Hawthorn v Bulldogs, 3 August 2014, 3.20pm @ York Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spangher, Hartung or Sewell are possibilities to come in but would be harsh to drop anyone after last night. Woody, Langford, Simpkin and Schoey are at most risk (the latter three all played very well last night) but all deserve to hold their spots.

Ceglar has gone past Hale (by a far margin at the moment) so can't see him being rested at this stage unless he is injured.

Langford to run with Griffen or Libba and hopefully Woody to start in the 21. Simpkin was great as a defensive forward so he could possibly get the job on Bob "I love the Swans" Murphy.

No room for complacency against an improved side who will be hungry.

Last edited:
I can't really see us making any changes unless someone pulls up sore from the game. Spagh should be ready to go, but the bulldogs haven't got the tallest forward line, so I don't think he or Sewell will be rushed back in unless someone isn't right.

Unfortunately the doggies are playing too well to be complacent and we are coming off a bye, so don't think anyone really needs too much of a rest at this stage anyway.

I would like to see Woodward get a full game, maybe Langford or Simpkin to sub.

Would like to see Spangher(Schoe to go forward), Hartung and Sewell back into the side, but I'm not sure who would go out. Woody needs another game in the ones.

Happy enough to see no change.

We've just had a bye the other week and have an 8 day break going into this game so I don't think we need to be resting any players unless there is some genuine injury/niggle. I'm all for managing game time of guys like Burgoyne and Hodge however if we're up by a lot late in the game.

We'll win this with ease as long as the team shows respect to the fact that while their midfield is young it is very strong when they're feeling confident. We need to belt them early, get their kids on the back foot and then we can take it a bit easier late in the game. Let them have a sniff and we could potentially have a Freo v Saints situation on our hands (though I doubt we'd let it get that bad!).

Would like to see Hartung come back in and for Woodward to stay in. Both to play a full game.

Hartung stood out at Box Hill this afternoon. Wouldn't necessarily pick him, but he was very good today. Hale was a very good forward but only broke even in the ruck. Kelly was very good but couldn't see who he could replace. The Doc did okay but wasn't outstanding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be very harsh on Woody to be dropped on just over a quarter of game-time when he found it difficult to become involved (mainly because he seemed to be passed over as an option by many of his teammates).

From memory of last night's game, I don't think he cracked the centre square rotations in the last quarter - he seemed to be a permanent half-forward, which isn't his natural go. Although we don't want to be complacent against the Dogs, I think Woodward could have an enlarged role against them as part of Hawthorn's centre square rotations.

I'd prefer to give Sewell a week at Box Hill and give the 22 blokes who won last night's game another opportunity. Bring Sewell back for Melbourne, if a spot materialises for him, which will give him a chance to get match fitness for the run home.

I agree about Woody mate and continuity is very important from a player development perspective.

However it seems we are taking a horses for courses approach with our subs from now until September. Bulldogs are a bit more of a hard running outside team that we could combat with Smith, Hill and Hartung. As we saw last night, we knew contested possession was going to play a big part in the result so we brought in Woody who is a beast in that area. He showed he will be a long term player for us last night. I think we might see Woody get another run against Melbourne and Fremantle.

Spoke to Woodward at the Box Hill game today briefly. He didn't give anything away but it seemed to me that he was preparing himself to play for Box Hill, not Hawthorn this coming weekend.

Ceglar looked a little flat. I would love to see Lowden get another go. Wrongfully dropped earlier this year IMO.

On his current form, Lowden is not near AFL selection. His general play today was frustrating as he mixed the sublime with the woeful. His ruck work was ordinary at best.

Apparently Hale played a great game @ Box Hill today with 5 goals.

As serviceable as Ceglar has been, truth is if Hale is in form he will replace Ceglar.

Hale could be this years version of the 2013 Brad Sewell, Sewell was dropped about this time and everyone rode him off only for him to come back and play a significant role in the lead up & finals series.

Woody was obviously hoping to be picked to play for Hawthorn, but there was just something about his answer about my question of looking forward to next week that made me think. I assume, however, that the players haven't yet done their review of the game so who knows.

I sure hope that the coaches don't judge him solely on last night's performance as they didn't play him in his best position at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back