Preview Hawthorn v Bulldogs, 3 August 2014, 3.20pm @ York Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They lined up like this (named positions on the weekend). A very young forward line with a sprinkling of up and coming talent. Apart from Crameri and Dahlhaus have not seen much of the others.

HF
  • Marcus Bontempelli,
  • Stewart Crameri,
  • Jake Stringer
F
  • Luke Dahlhaus,
  • Jack Redpath,
  • Nathan Hrovat

Bontempelli and Stringer are very good.

Geez I hope the players are more focussed on this game than I am. After an agonising wait for the Swans game it's hard to switch the focus.

Bullies (and the Dees the game after) should be able to provide some good competition for a while but I think in the end we will be hell bent on putting down some big wins over these 2 games. Do that, and then win at least one of the Freo and Cats games, and we should be a lock for top 2 and a home final.

Being 5 weeks from the finals the coaches will be looking to stabalise the side as much as possible to what will play in the finals. Unfortunately for Woody if Sewell is fit he will come straight back in. There will be some tough decisions made in the next few weeks when Lake and Rioli are available and some players will be very unlucky.
PS I forgot Spangher, he may be in the mix to.

Last edited:
Ins: Hale Out: Ceglar

Ceglar has done nothing wrong, but i think we need Hale come finals time as he is a proven performer. Good opportunity against the doggies and dees for Haley to get some of that mojo back right in time for the finals.

Simpkin for Sub and give woody a full game.

In future weeks we can look at the following changes:

Sewell in for Woody, proven finals performer, Woody to take his role next year.
Lakey in for Litherland or Schoenmakers, probably Litherland as i doubt Clarko will drop Schoe as he is more versatile then Litherland and can swing forward, even though Lithers is probably in better form.
Rioli in for Langers or Simpkin with the one staying in as the sub for the finals series.

Thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being 5 weeks from the finals the coaches will be looking to stabalise the side as much as possible to what will play in the finals. Unfortunately for Woody if Sewell is fit he will come straight back in. There will be some tough decisions made in the next few weeks when Lake and Rioli are available and some players will be very unlucky.
PS I forgot Spangher, he may be in the mix to.
I actually dont think Sewell will be straight in. A week at Box hill first to prove his body is up to it. This is the 3rd time he has broken down this year. Got to move very carefully. I also do not know if he is an automatic now (although his form prior to injury was very good)

Ins: Hale Out: Ceglar

Ceglar has done nothing wrong, but i think we need Hale come finals time as he is a proven performer. Good opportunity against the doggies and dees for Haley to get some of that mojo back right in time for the finals.

Simpkin for Sub and give woody a full game.

In future weeks we can look at the following changes:

Sewell in for Woody, proven finals performer, Woody to take his role next year.
Lakey in for Litherland or Schoenmakers, probably Litherland as i doubt Clarko will drop Schoe as he is more versatile then Litherland and can swing forward, even though Lithers is probably in better form.
Rioli in for Langers or Simpkin with the one staying in as the sub for the finals series.

Thoughts?
Really tough decisions coming up. Litherlands has been very good and gives good rebound off half back. I would prefer Suckling to go for Lake, but the coaching panel appear to have a lot of faith in suckling.

Unchanged line up for mine, am going down to Launceston for the game, touch wood we keep the injuries sheet a clean one this close to September

I hope Clarko remains strong and doesn't revert to playing his favourites again. Hale has been very average all season and one good BHH game isn't worthy of senior selection. Needs to prove he can do it again... it was Coburg after all.
Agreed. How many weeks worth of credits did Hale get to use before finally getting dropped for McEvoy who'd been ripping it up for a few weeks? Surely Cegalr has done enough to earn a couple weeks to re-find form at AFL level especially given we don't have very tough games for the next couple weeks.

I actually dont think Sewell will be straight in. A week at Box hill first to prove his body is up to it. This is the 3rd time he has broken down this year. Got to move very carefully. I also do not know if he is an automatic now (although his form prior to injury was very good)

I don't think Launceston is a good place for Sewell to make his return. I would rather keep Woody in this week, and give Brad a run with Box Hill. Cegs looked tired to me, and even though he had a rest last week, I'd play Hale this week, with the knowledge he is playing for a finals spot from here to September.
Gus was a little out of his depth on Saturday, but he has the score on the board and has to stay in.

As has been posted we need to keep changes to a minimum.

I don't think Launceston is a good place for Sewell to make his return. I would rather keep Woody in this week, and give Brad a run with Box Hill. Cegs looked tired to me, and even though he had a rest last week, I'd play Hale this week, with the knowledge he is playing for a finals spot from here to September.
Gus was a little out of his depth on Saturday, but he has the score on the board and has to stay in.

agreed - give Woody a run...i know he didnt get much chance saturday, but looked clean with hands and relatively composed....

I think Hale will come in for Ceglar too. A break won't hurt Ceglar. He has had a huge couple of months. Hale will help stretch the doggies backline and provide another big body v Minson. If it's wet I would probably lean towards Ceglar (mobility) though. Tough one.

I wouldn't mind Woody getting a full game and Hartung coming in as the sub.

We will need to use about 25 players across the last 3 weeks of the H&A to reduce the risk of soft tissue injuries. Now's the time to see who wants it bad enough.

Can definitely see the value of getting a game or two into Hartung. If, god forbid, one of our runners go down he's the next cab off the ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back