Review Hawthorn v Cats - match sim - Thursday 23rd Feb, GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, they are that much better than us at present, no matter how much that hurts to say. They just won a flag and added to their list - we are at the very early stages of a rebuild and have the youngest and most inexperienced list in the comp. If they won a grand final by 81 points why is it so crazy they would put on a similar show against us?
It was a glorified kick in the park for them mate. Cameron was running around like he was playing 1s at Dartmoor with the intensity to boot.
Yes, they are that much better than us at present, no matter how much that hurts to say. They just won a flag and added to their list - we are at the very early stages of a rebuild and have the youngest and most inexperienced list in the comp. If they won a grand final by 81 points why is it so crazy they would put on a similar show against us?

Not interested in negatives from a match simulation.

Positives included:
  • Hustwaite: hands and awareness are great. Not sure about his speed or ability to get to a lot of contests, but he could be something special.
  • DGB: flew for marks, played on quickly, clean below his knees.
  • Ward: looking like a leader of our mid group already.
  • Butler: a few nice moments.
  • Finn: one of our better mids, and with Newk would hate to be tackling these guys.
  • All the quick later picks at BHH: all of them showed something. We could be quick and I definitely need to watch more BH this year.

The difference for me, was the pressure the Cats put on us when we had the ball. Firstly, we couldn't cope. Secondly, we couldn't replicate it when they had it. The 2nd point annoys me the most, as that is pure effort based.
The first part is harder to change in the short run than the second. We have a lot of work to do!

Players looking In form from my PoV (training, trial and match sims)

Jai Newcombe
Jarman Impey
Ned Reeves
Karl Amon
Will Day
Dylan Moore
Chad Wingard
Josh Ward
Fergus Greene
Sam Butler
Connor MacDonald
James Blanck
Changkuoth Jiath
Luke Breust
Mitch Lewis - inj
Denver Grainger-Barras (chb not fb)
Tyler Brockman
Cam MacKenzie
Jack O'Sullivan
Bailey MacDonald
Henry Hustwaite
Ned Long
Emerson Jeka
Harry Morrison - inj

Players that should come good by the start of the season.....
James Sicily, Sam Frost, Jack Scrimshaw, Blake Hardwick, Lloyd Meek, Cooper Stephens, Josh Weddle(learning new role on the wing), Finn Maginness

Question marks on.....
James Worpel, Conor Nash, Jacob Koschitzke, Lachlan Bramble(zero defense, has to play wing or nowhere imo)

The Rest....
Josh Morris - inj (have not seen much of him, rehab and inj), Max Lynch (solid backup tap ruck), Max Ramsden (still a work in progress), Jai Serong (still raw), Seamus Mitchell (has been in rehab, but starting to show pace on his comeback), Fionn O'Hara (rehab), Josh Bennetts (still raw).

Just need them to gel as a team with team defence and attacking patterns.

Last edited:
Yes, 'match simulation' against the reigning premiers in February is certainly enough exposure...

Far out.

In the first practice match of 2021 against the Western Bulldogs, Oli Hanrahan kicked 3 goals in a quarter and looked like a star while Dylan Moore struggled and barely touched the footy 10 times. Guess what happened come seasons end? One finished top 5 in the B&F and the other was delisted.

Nash has played one full season as a midfielder and now finds himself as one of the leaders in there. He's still adapting to that role. I say all of this despite having been one of his decorators in recent years.
Frost was in fantastic form early last season then missed the second half of the year through injury. He's building back into match fitness.

Have SOME patience, please.
You've taken the exposure comment out of context. We've seen the same issues with these players over a long enough period now and after a long break and another look at them they are still evident. It's not a view based on one game.

It was a glorified kick in the park for them mate. Cameron was running around like he was playing 1s at Dartmoor with the intensity to boot.

Yes, the reigning premiers with a deeper midfield than they already had SHOULD have a kick in the park versus the youngest side in the comp who don’t have their only AFL level KPF playing. Whatever expectations you had this year I’d suggest tapering them now for your mental health’s sake.

I listened to Steve Hocking on SEN a couple of days ago and he mentioned how Geelong have a “Colleigate” system. It’s like the faces change but the fundamental principles of the institution (coaching style, player development, club culture, etc) remain the same to allow for continuity in team performance.

Whereas the Hawks are basically starting from scratch with a new coach, totally different game style, youngest list in the comp, etc.

Kind of puts it into perspective how much work the club has in front of it!
They can thank Brian Cook for that. Best CEO in history and he was there from 1999 to 2021.

Only two coaches in Thompson and Scott since 2000 and the handover was smooth given Bomber “retired” as it were.

Stability is gold

They can thank Brian Cook for that. Best CEO in history and he was there from 1999 to 2021.

Only two coaches in Thompson and Scott since 2000 and the handover was smooth given Bomber “retired” as it were.

Stability is gold
Probably not a coincidence that two of the most stable, well run clubs of the past 20 years in the Cats and Swans played off in the GF last year.

In fact even if they just tread water those clubs can still do well since so many other clubs have hard resets every 3 to 5 years and have to start from scratch again (like we are).

Yes stability is very underrated in professional sports.

You've taken the exposure comment out of context. We've seen the same issues with these players over a long enough period now and after a long break and another look at them they are still evident. It's not a view based on one game.

It isn't though, which is why I used the Dylan Moore example.

Fresh off being delisted and given the final rookie spot, Moorey followed up with a stinker in the first practice game of the following season. This is exactly the point where we find ourselves now.

Yes, the reigning premiers with a deeper midfield than they already had SHOULD have a kick in the park versus the youngest side in the comp who don’t have their only AFL level KPF playing. Whatever expectations you had this year I’d suggest tapering them now for your mental health’s sake.
It's not about the result. Couldn't care less how we go this year or next TBH or where we end up so not sure where your getting your assumptions from just because it's different to mine. If your happy to turn your brain off this year and not worry about the method go for your life.

It's not about the result. Couldn't care less how we go this year or next TBH or where we end up so not sure where your getting your assumptions from just because it's different to mine. If your happy to turn your brain off this year and not worry about the method go for your life.

I’m always happy not getting despondent over a practice match to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cliff is coming Geelong

View attachment 1614501
Jesus now hawks fans are buying into this shit.

Of course the cliff is coming. They have 4 or 5 talented kids but everyone does. Atkins is the only player in the mid 20s range and the rest will be gone in the next year or 2. They're ****ed.

I have plenty of respect for Geelong but they have just won one flag after 11 years. Can we ease up on the constant hyperbole and arse licking?

The fawning over them is ludicrous. The media are acting as though they are better than Richmond, hawthorn, and even their own marvellous team from 10 years ago. After 1 flag!

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Probably not a coincidence that two of the most stable, well run clubs of the past 20 years in the Cats and Swans played off in the GF last year.

In fact even if they just tread water those clubs can still do well since so many other clubs have hard resets every 3 to 5 years and have to start from scratch again (like we are).

Yes stability is very underrated in professional sports.
Can I add the phrases. Professional, Focussed, Unified, committed to a strategy, club wide.

The fawning over them is ludicrous. The media are acting as though they are better than Richmond, hawthorn, and even their own marvellous team from 10 years ago. After 1 flag!

Sent from my SM-G781B using TaTapatalk
I don't listen much to the media but they always go nuts over the latest premier. Including our team

Lots of “learnings” from yesterday. Defensive structures were uncharacteristically disorganised. Hopefully we will tighten things up before next week (and obviously around 1). Playing the best side is a great way to find chinks in the armour early on.

In terms of individuals, based on the portion I watched (periods 1-3) I thought Greene, Ward, Newk, Finn, Impey, Scrim, Wingard, Moore, Butler, Reeves, Meek, Dimma and Day (the most impressive for mine) all did a number of quality things.

Amon, CMac and Bramble did some nice things with the ball but also had some careless turnovers.

When he came on, I thought Denver was solid. Didn’t see enough of HH to get too much insight.

Didn’t really notice Nash, Sicily was in first gear and didn’t notice Weddle too often. Worpel and Frost were average from what I saw and Blanck got exposed a few times (hard when the ball is coming in so easily though).

Kosi got to the right spots mostly and other than the dropped sitter was okay considering it was 1 v 2 on most occasions. Does need to convert the easier chances though. Prob just ahead of Jeka at the moment.

Hopefully we see Bruest, Stephens and Frenchie next week.

Last edited:
Amused that people were disappointed in a lack of aggression in a practice match. Totally worth getting yourself fined or earning some carry over points in a game that means absolutely nothing. Same goes for those lamenting the overall result. The youngest and most inexperienced side in the competition got schooled by the reigning premiers fielding a fairly competitive side - who'd have thunk it! The scoreboard isn't going to be where you find joy this year - it's going to be watching the kids develop.

Absolutely agreee with your point on the score, but not the aggression bit. You can be aggressive and very phsyical without risking suspension and fines.

We are a young immature side though so maybe that will come as our smaller bodies develop.

I felt a lil bit better today after listening to a very level headed Mitchell and seeing Stkilda results with a new coach vs a established setup.
On the match once again the younger generation was solid. Moore, Nuke, Day, Ward, C-Mac, it was great to see Finn & Dgb join in this game.
I think the hardest thing for Mitchell will be the balance. How many mature body's who are not A grade footballers or high possession players can he play in the middle. The midfield is very young and the Rucks are still learning there craft that give no support around the ground. Even a player of Nuke's calibre struggled with his effiency due to guys simply not in the right spots.

I think Mitchell will need to fill a few roles at either end, with guys we know can play that role. Get some more class around the ball. The midfield is not established enough to have class like Bruest,Moore, Wingard all up forward and even a Hardwick down back.

Look to fill a role with role players like *Morris, Bramble, Brockman, Butler and release a few of these guys to help around the pill and set the tone for the younger stars in the making.

It isn't though, which is why I used the Dylan Moore example.

Fresh off being delisted and given the final rookie spot, Moorey followed up with a stinker in the first practice game of the following season. This is exactly the point where we find ourselves now.
Yes you have. You are cherry picking. These guys have all had much Moore exposure than Moore did at the same point. I was at the intra game which saved Moores career...if you had seen that game he was a keeper.

Jesus now hawks fans are buying into this s**t.

Of course the cliff is coming. They have 4 or 5 talented kids but everyone does. Atkins is the only player in the mid 20s range and the rest will be gone in the next year or 2. They're ****ed.

I have plenty of respect for Geelong but they have just won one flag after 11 years. Can we ease up on the constant hyperbole and arse licking?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

We've been hearing that for years. How many posters on here, at this time last year, were going on about how we are closer to a flag than them?

Atkins and Zuthrie were absolute potatoes only two years ago, and now they are very handy players. They have picked up talents like Stengle off the scrap heap and developed them into AA calibre players. Finding players like Stewart and Blicavs from nowhere.

They've just added Bruhn (21), Bowes (25) and Henry (21) via the FA and trades - they all looked very good yesterday. SDK is an elite young KPD.

I'm tipping they'll develop Knevitt, Holmes and Clark into a good midfield unit. Their talent identification and development system (in particular) is second-to-none.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Hawthorn v Cats - match sim - Thursday 23rd Feb, GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back