Autopsy Hawthorn v Geelong - opposition supporters coming to troll will be carded

Remove this Banner Ad

im not sure if this is a good thing but I was at the game and Luke Hodge was and still is our best player.
It's definitely not. It wasn't a vintage Hodge game either, as he made a lot of mistakes. So for him to be our best despite that, it's a huge concern.

It's strange but I've mentally given up any expectation and it makes it easier and your brain starts going into full rebuild mode.

In hindsight this rebuild on the run, which I was in favour of, looks a bad call. We could conceivably end up with #1 pick which we won't get and even our second rounder would have been one of our best picks of last decade.

Feeling lumbered with Vickery on board. Now we've set out path not sure we can go full rebuild now but if we attack FA I think we'll just perpetuate mediocrity.TOM's kicking is pretty poor, worse than Langford possibly.

It's a bit of a conundrum as to how we can genuinely challenge again from where we are.

It's like that Irish joke, how do I get to so and so, answer: I wouldn't start from here if I was you.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Sorry the anger was misdirected, Hodge was great but IMO he's not half the player Mitchell was, I guess I miss Sam like we all do.

His norm smith medals beg to differ as does his record as captain

as shattering as it is..and you can wonder where our next leader will come from in the mold of a Hodge..
Burton I reckon is that..Its like you can just see and feel that in 12 months time he will be a leader of this team..
considering where we are and as much as we need a win..it might be a blessing that another loss next week puts a big cross against the season and will force the hand of selection and a call on some veteran and not so veterans form and to an extent careers... iit might not be a bad thing after all

And who exactly were you suggesting we expose in ruck today?

And you most definitely do drop young players who lose form or confidence. You do not continue to have young talents flogged when they are better off regaining their form at a lower level.
This current midfield is in the bottom 3 in the AFL. Tom Mitchell is a gun inside mid BUT he cannot kick a drop punt. Omera is injured. Will Langford and Liam Shiels would be lucky to get a game at 15 other teams. Having Mark Pittonet (yes, I know he's a plodder at the moment) instead of Ben McEvoy would make no difference.
You don't drop young players after one game regardless of their performance. That would be worse for their confidence. Give them a run of games to get used to AFL level...That's the best way they will learn. Guys like Stewart and miles will be playing every game next season because there is no one else...they need to be playing consistently this year...and I'll tell you a secret...next year will be worse than this year...they will be playing in a team that will be getting flogged by 60+ more often than not.

The signs were there last year , Clarko knew it and traded out Lewis and Mitchell. Thats very courageous of him and I’m fully behind Clarko on that decision.
As a supporter I will always back my team and irrespective of how they are playing i will ride the bumps with a grin
The youngsters that have come in the side have been doing okay, we as supporters need to be patient and watch them grow as footballers.
Burgs and Gibbo are definitely done , that was expected let them finish with dignity , we owe them that.

My main concern are the more experienced players, what i mean by that is the next wave after Hodgy and the boys.
  • Gunston has no confidence at the moment and i believe he should go back and play in the forward 50 to regain it. Thats were he has played his best football.
  • Liam Shields has ridden the coat tails of the older brigade , he has been found out big time. Considering the amount of games that he has been gifted ,you would think that his output throughout his career would be a lot higher. Replace him with O’Rouke
  • Bruest’s experiment in the midfield has failed, play him full time in the forward 50. He has lost his burst of speed, this may be due to the time spent in the midfield.
  • Same with Rioli , play him forward 50.
  • BigBoy is done , without a doubt he is the worst no 1 ruckman in the comp. Fitzpatrick needs to play
  • Frawley lacks leadership, he needs to lift in that area.
Tactically we are very average , i won’t point the finger towards Clarko because as we know, he loves to delegate responsibilities to his line coaches.

So in summary i feel that we need to stop experimenting with players alternating positions consistently until they regain there confidence. I understand the theory behind it but the players are so low in confidence we need to get back to the basics and play them in the positions where they are suited.

You guys must be doing it tough, hope there are some more positive signs next week. Heres a bit on what I saw today.
- would love Cicily in our team, great contested mark
- Burton and Brand showed some good composure under siege
- Hodge should be leading through the middle of the ground rather than playing spare man in defence.

As much as our teams love to hate each other i would have still enjoyed another classic today

Something to keep the spirits up.

Amazing how neither of those hits got them in the head but those campaigners carry on - see hodge today for two examples of a head high hit and he laughs it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That last quarter and a half was horrendous. There were a few blokes that weren't interested at all.

Full rebuild which means making some tough decisions. Cyril looked disinterested today and if that is the case then he will be tough decision número uno (I know this comment will be disliked by some). Given Gibbs was considered as worth two first rounders, Cyril would be in a similar boat.

There might be a few on their way out at the end of the year - Burt (Fagan's replacement) is not liked by the middle aged players and will look for a way out.

All is not well at HFC and some strong leadership will be needed to steer us through this.

I think there's a difference between motivating yourself to win a flag, and to win some games and stay competitive in others.

We've spent 6 years at the top end of the ladder focusing on flags. Some blokes haven't made the mental switch yet. It'll come. (Probably) ((Hopefully)) (((Please god let us be better than this)))

Surprised at some of the McEvoy bashing today. Thought he was one of our best - sure he can't ruck but he was very good around the ground. Some might say we are rebuilding so why play him but you can't play kids alone and expect them to learn. That's why Melbourne were so ordinary for so long - they had no one to teach the kids.

Sicily and Burton were outstanding today. Permanent fixtures for a long time. Liked Hardwick too.

Hartung and O'Brien shouldn't see AFL game time again. We need to move on from them now.
Harsh but probably the right call. With so many players trying hard to get into the contest, we just can't afford to have a vanishing player like O'Brien. Billy tried hard but man oh man! Three turnovers, all three of them were golden opportunities going forward which instead resulted in Geelong goals. We just can't afford that either.

I'm actually impressed by many of our other players today - I saw Stratton, Gibson, Burgoyne and Smith really busting to turn the game for us, even Hardwick put his head down a heap. I largely agree with Clarko, confidence and belief seem to be the biggest issues for us. It will be interesting to see what happens at the selection table nonetheless. O'Meara is pretty obvious, but O'Rourke is putting his hand up too. I reckon he might have to wait one more week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was tough to take... I knew we would suffer a decline, but I never thought it would be such a fast and brutal slide. We haven't even been competitive and it's not the defeats that bother me but the manner of the defeats. Gutless, insipid, and deservedly defeated once again. This club has given us an unforgettable ride for the last decade, but it is very hard not to feel let down right now.

It's strange but I've mentally given up any expectation and it makes it easier and your brain starts going into full rebuild mode.

In hindsight this rebuild on the run, which I was in favour of, looks a bad call. We could conceivably end up with #1 pick which we won't get and even our second rounder would have been one of our best picks of last decade.

Feeling lumbered with Vickery on board. Now we've set out path not sure we can go full rebuild now but if we attack FA I think we'll just perpetuate mediocrity.TOM's kicking is pretty poor, worse than Langford possibly.

It's a bit of a conundrum as to how we can genuinely challenge again from where we are.

It's like that Irish joke, how do I get to so and so, answer: I wouldn't start from here if I was you.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

IMO people need to let this year's 1st and 2nd pick go. What's done is done. As for Vickery look if its not working let him go next year after his 2 years is up

A "full rebuild" is what Carlton are doing and what Melbourne and St Kilda have done. It requires you to go to the draft. Imagine how much St Kilda are laughing now knowing they are going to have a top 4 pick this year....yes I know that was used to get O'Mera...if you can't see that the Hawks panicked in that deal, you are blind...Gold Coast would have taken a much lower pick than 10.
Hawthon's first draft pick this season will be 34+....they will have a top 3 pick in '18 and '19 but need more than that to do a "full rebuild"...
Their biggest problem short term is they have no one of value to trade for early picks except Gunston, Rioli, Bruest and Smith but they will be too stubborn to bite the bullet and trade a couple of them....
In a "full rebuild" you DO NOT sign spuds like Tyrone Vickery on $450k+ A year deals. You DO NOT get players like Ricky Henderson. You DO NOT continue to play players like josh Gibson and Ben McEvoy. You DO NOT drop players like Stewart and Miles only after 1 or 2 games.
You hate hawthorn. I get it. You are welcome to follow great premiership winning clubs like Melbourne, st kilda and Richmond.

Lol. Been waiting 10 years for this. I have never been happier and I know for a fact almost every non hawthorn supporter feels the same. It's all over for hawthorn.
Enjoy it lads

Maybe you are correct and it is all over....but I am glad you got through our 10 years of success, a few flags, a few grannys, finals safely (less than 1 post a year for u) .
we are only a month or so in and Its quite foreign for us so if you could tell us how we should deal with losing, mediocrity, embarrassment, inability ,having no expectation week in week out without success for the past however years would be appreciated.
I had been thinking who to reach out to to help me through this time and who better than a perpetual losing flog than a Richmond supporter with so much experience in this field ..
If you make the finals and need some help on how to deal with it please come back we would be more than happy to offer some experienced advice..

Gee we were lucky today..... to not get beaten by 20+ goals at least. They had control of the game for 90% and if they converted early god knows what would've happened.

Hartung wasn't that bad but really needs to go under smiths wing and learn to break the game open
Fancy two 'back men' in Gunners and Sicily being our top goal kickers today
Whats up with pop and cyril, just offering very little

Heres my most controversial one. Did we make a mistake in giving Rough the captaincy? He does get around the players but after what he has gone through in the last year i think its been a step too far for him to lead the team and provide impact on the field.

Cant believe the Cats kicked 11 goals in the last quarter.

We seemed to be dragging everyone back into defence in the end and yet they still got through.

Mind you umpire Ray Chamberlain did not help. That deliberate point resulting in a free kick in the goal square was wrong.

That plus the deliberate out of bounds rule & the no third man up rule all need to go and now. Just open too many interpretations that just don't make sense. The same thing can happen within minutes and yet one will be called and the other not.

The deliberate out of bounds, there was an time in the first quarter when our boys backed off because they were close to the boundary deep in their defence but they knew if the grabbed the ball they couldn't go anywhere but out. Right near the boundary with Cats players on the inboard side. There is something wrong when players don't feel they should go for the ball cos either way they will be penalised. Just wrong.

I must say, I don't get the Hartung hate (well I do but not based on todays game). He was solid enough and at least tried to take the game on. I wish a few of the rest of the guys decided to run as Geelong ran, and ran, and ran, ran in waves and pretty much waltzed down the wings and through the middle at their merriment. We seem to have no structure, we keep handballing backwards, then forwards, then backwards then backwards further turn it over and cough up a goal. When we do actually get the ball and decide to run, we have no one forward. Is it worth trying to just keep forwards up forward?
Our kick ins are atrocious and McEvoy needs to not get killed in the ruck week in week out. He tries hard, but just gets flogged.

Likes: Hartung trying to give us some run, Hardwick (needs persevering with ), Burton looks a gem, Brand did well condsidering the lack of pressure at times on Geelong coming forward and Sicily has great hands.

Dislikes: our forward set, kick ins, getting belted when we had them under the pump in the 3rd for a 2-4 return

I'd drop Poppy and bring in Stewart, Id drop Henderson and bring in O'Rourke (if he's fit enough), and bring in Vickery for O'Brien. We've paid him the cash, might as well get some return. O'Meara in as well, maybe we ca play with 23 and no one will notice

The scary thing about today is that hodge and to a lesser extent burg were some of the few players to fire a shot. Our 'new' leadership group went missing.

The relentless standards of hodge, Mitch, burg have been a big part of our success - the next group don't appear to have the same pride or hardness. Rough was a strange choice as captain for a struggling team.

There were signs of effort today but our execution was generally horrible - especially 20-30m kicks, we got smashed in stoppages and in transition and on turnovers. We can be better than this, but there's some big issues that we can't likely fix this year.

We're really missing Sam Mitchell's precision disposal/play making in midfield. Tom M doesn't have the class with ball in hand and Langford/shiels aren't up to it. Our structures rely on efficiency & limiting turnovers - the opposite of what the current group is giving us.

Our ball movement and general skills are atrocious at present. Take far too long to move the ball on. The thing I can't understand is how on turnovers why we haven't/ can't flood back given we give our defence so much time to set up. Cats seemed to have numbers back and be able to surge forward with the ball - we're stuck in some horrible middle ground that we move the ball slowly and then get carved up on the rebound.

BBs ruckwork is getting worse. TOB was a more effective ruckman (which isn't saying much) - have to find a way to give our mids a chance as the weight of easy ball going to other opposition is overwhelming them.

Other comments

-All our senior forwards are horribly out of form.
-Sicily looked good on the lead but is an absolute witches hat once the ball hits the ground.
-Hardwick was okay, but didn't see anything new from TOB
-Gibbo is cooked. Brand was okay, without being great and Stratton was improved. Thought our defence actually was okay up given midfield was getting dominated until when the wheels fell off in 3rd quarter.
-Hartung tried to give run but kept stuffing up. Not sure what we gain from playing hendo. Smith is struggling.
-can't work out how much our previous game plan and success has made certain players looks good vs how out of form some players are.

With no disrespect to Rough, our leadership group is very ineffective at the moment. They are supposed to inspire and lead the rest of the team. Just ain't happening & way too vanilla. Sorry lads but the fish rots from the head. Someone needs to make a stand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn v Geelong - opposition supporters coming to troll will be carded

Remove this Banner Ad

Back