Preview Hawthorn vs Adelaide - Teams, chat, scones etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am continually stuffed as to why we don't play Roughead in defence, although we probably won't need to do so this week because Walker is out.

I would like to see Mitch Hallahan brought in. I know he won't be, but after today's poor performance in the clearances, it might not end up a bad selection.
Improvement from clearances is absolutely essential for us to improve on, I think we lost the down and dirty stuff today , but that was today tomorrow is coming and we will get that right, because we have the soldiers to do it.
But remember no team is easy in this comp, we pinched today, on a day some players were down, and the umps were unkind, we learn from this stuff.

There are a few in this thread jumping at shadows, We had a very off day today.. but consider this...

No Sewell in the centre square
Mitchell played too much at Half Back when he went on ball we looked far better.
Bailey was woeful in the ruck v's Goldy
Franklin I have never seen so fumbly, and inaccurate the ball didn't bounce his way once, and he kicked poorly.
Guerra was terrible, poor decisions, poor defensive efforts, gave away 3 frees which all resulted in goals from memory.
Nothing from Breuster..

Lake showed plenty of ability to use his big frame, Drew Petrie normally takes grabs against us deep 20m from goal... Lake spoiled numerous times and showed great ability to get across and help 3rd up.

Ins: Centre Clearances, / Inside 50"s / Contested Possessions / Team Run
Outs: Frees Against / Poor Goalkicking / Lazy Football
I like your lazy football comment. Sometimes I feel like our guys sometimes take the game for granted a bit. Maybe because we have so many good players that psychologically and subconciously they get that " Oh Roughys got that or Cyril 's handling that brilliantly here's a goal or Buddy what a genious". That can happen, these blokes are only humans. You must train your brain to be on fire every second of this greased lightning football that's played at this level.
If there is a slight chance of, over do, over handball, over rely on a team mate too much then it needs that mindset killed.
Indecision??? I've seen a bit this year, get the formation back know what you will do in advance .
You have to think all the time to do that, but that's what professionals do. If they don't they are being LAZY FOOTBALLERS.
Hawks need to get that decisive stuff back into the game and rely on EVERYONE .Not a handfull.
But its early days, so get going Hawks.

There are a few in this thread jumping at shadows, We had a very off day today.. but consider this...

Mitchell played too much at Half Back when he went on ball we looked far better.
Franklin I have never seen so fumbly, and inaccurate the ball didn't bounce his way once, and he kicked poorly.
Guerra was terrible, poor decisions, poor defensive efforts, gave away 3 frees which all resulted in goals from memory.
Nothing from Breuster..

Lake showed plenty of ability to use his big frame, Drew Petrie normally takes grabs against us deep 20m from goal... Lake spoiled numerous times and showed great ability to get across and help 3rd up.
Guerra ONLY TWO FREES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the feeling a few of our blokes might have got ahead of themselves after 3 wins in a row. No one seemed to have anywhere near the intensity Cyril displayed today (unfortunately, maybe he was too intense). Hill was fantastic and could be a real chance for the rising star. Maybe the last 3 weeks caught up with a few blokes. Anyway, need to up the intensity and work on the gaping issues which have been exposed. Cyril being out won't help that but I expect a much improved game from the many that went had an average game today. Savage must play a full game but he can't seem to get near it. Sub needs to be a player that can hit the ground running.

Savage played a quarter and a bit and didn't get a possession. That's just not good enough for your sub.

Savage needs to be given an extended run at Box Hill to run into some form. Playing as a sub and only getting a qtr and a bit game time does neither him or the team any favours, it's a waste of a spot.

Either give him a full game to prove he belongs or play him in the 2's.

Savage couldn't get near it and then gave away the interchange free kick by not going through the gates properly. Lucky for Savage, Daw couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a banjo. Donuts and what should have been a costly free kick. Enjoy your spell at Box Hill.

Rioli pings a hammy carrying the team on his back. Tough break.

Replace those soldiers with Sewell and Anderson and load up for RAdelaide.

Nothing from Breuster..
You know, except a goal.

I definitely agree with you about Guerra, needs to make way for Duryea after today's 'effort'. Bailey was absolutely brilliant for us around the ground (surprisingly enough), been a gun so far this year.

Out: Guerra, Cyril
In: Duryea, Anderson
Make it happen Clarko!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sewell for Rioli.

If Savage comes in again before he strings together some decent games at Box Hill I'll just about scream!
Bailey seems to work some weeks and not others. Was comprehensively beaten today, as were most of our blokes.
Guerra appeared down on confidence. Two out of the fulls within a short space of time were laughable.

If the 'players don't have two bad games in a row' theory holds true, then load up on the Hawks by 100+ next week!

While losing Rioli, the Hawks should regain Brad Sewell to face the Crows.

The midfielder has missed three matches with what was initially thought to be a minor hamstring strain.

"Sewell was really close for this week," Clarkson said.

"That's the strange thing with some of these soft tissue injuries – we thought it was going to be a one-weeker, but you've just got to be patient with them.

"Sometimes they come good really quickly, but 'Sewelly' was just a lot slower than what we first anticipated.

"He'll be a good chance to play next week."

Clarkson said NAB AFL Rising Star nominee Jed Anderson, who has missed the past two games with a hamstring injury, was at a similar stage of recovery to Sewell, although he may be given an extra week to recover given his young age.

Thankfully, we'll be back to being ravaged by 6 day turnarounds again from next week. Those 8 day breaks are killers for our form!!

Time to unleash the Jedi once more, now that the Sith Lord has done his hammy yet again. Hey, at least it wasn't a bloody knee!!!!

In: Sewell, Anderson
Out: Rioli, Savage

Would also be tempted to drop Hale for another runner, but I guess were stuck with 2 rucks for the time being.

OUT
Savage, Cyril

IN
Sewell, Simpkin

I just want us to play with Gunston, Buddy and Rough in the forward line with Hale swapping with one of them every now and again to give them a breather on the pine. I am sick of Gunston playing so far up the field when he is a lot more dangerous closer to goal.

Also sick of Bailey being subbed instead of Hale. Bailey is just so much more of a workhorse than Hale and his ruckwork is consistently better. Hale to sub off and Simpkin to sub on. That's how I would go.

Shiels to Sloane
Stratton on Danger when he is forward

Still wanting to know Hale's KPI's.

We don't need to be as tall and slow in the forward line against the Crows IMO. Wouldn't be a bad game to rest Bailey or Hale (although Hale doesn't need a rest because he's done bugger all season) and debut Lowden with an out of form Jacobs and scrubbers as their ruck department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back