FB: Stratton - Lake - Guerra
HB: Gibson - Spangher - Birchall
C: Smith - Sewell - Hill
R: Bailey - Mitchell - Shiels
HF: Breust- Franklin - Burgoyne
FF: Lewis - Gunston - Osbourne
I/C: Roughead - Hodge - Puopolo - Anderson

Anderson in for Rioli.
Spangher in for Hale. Spangher has similar attributes to Schoe and I believe the plan was to have Schoe and Lake together with Gibbo/Stratton as the third tall/rebounder. Hale's been terrible in my opinion. Bailey has had games were he's dominated in the ruck and dominated around the ground, just not at the same time. Give him time and he'll become consistent. Roughead as rotating ruck/forward with Gunston leading from the square. Spangher to rotate forward if need be.
Sewell in for Savage. Give Savage a month at Box Hill, see if he can get some solid form going, then include him in the 21.

Duryea could also come in for Guerra as Guerra was poor.

Good post Nick. I don't think we'll do it re: Hale, but I like your ideas.

I actually think that this is the week to play as many talls as we can because Adelaide are light on talls both in the ruck & forward/defence, but I like your thinking all the same.

I'd like to see Savage get a whole game this week & give Hill a break, for 2 reasons:

1. I'd like to see what a whole game does for Savage as we can't carry him against a team like Sydney. If he can't get a kick in a whole game against an undermanned & out-of-form Adelaide then he needs a few full games at BHH to get it going again; &,

2. I think Hill looks sore & needs a bit of a rest. He's still running with great pace & making good position but he looks to me to be getting further from the contested ball with each quarter he plays. Again, he'll be targeted by Sydney & if this is the case then I don't want that in the back of his mind; nor do I think he can go into a game against Adelaide with self-preservation as an option.

Out: Cyril-Inj Gibson-Corked Thigh ;) Hill-Corked Thigh ;)
In: Spangher Sewell Anderson

FB: Hodge.......Lake......Guerra
HB: Stratton...Spangher...Birchall
Ce: Savage....Mitchell......Smith
Ru: Bailey......Sewell.......Shiels
HF: Breust.....Franklin......Lewis
FF: Gunston...Roughead...Popeye
I/C: Burgoyne...Anderson......Hale
Sub: Osborne

Adelaide have no recognised tall forward so I don't think we need Lake, Stratton, CHB + Gibson in a 3rd man up role, especially with Hodge in defence; &, I think we need Stratton to play on the resting mids such as Dangerfield when they float forward. I think we rest Gibson + Hill this week

Good post Nick. I don't think we'll do it re: Hale, but I like your ideas.

I actually think that this is the week to play as many talls as we can because Adelaide are light on talls both in the ruck & forward/defence, but I like your thinking all the same.

I'd like to see Savage get a whole game this week & give Hill a break, for 2 reasons:

1. I'd like to see what a whole game does for Savage as we can't carry him against a team like Sydney. If he can't get a kick in a whole game against an undermanned & out-of-form Adelaide then he needs a few full games at BHH to get it going again; &,

2. I think Hill looks sore & needs a bit of a rest. He's still running with great pace & making good position but he looks to me to be getting further from the contested ball with each quarter he plays. Again, he'll be targeted by Sydney & if this is the case then I don't want that in the back of his mind; nor do I think he can go into a game against Adelaide with self-preservation as an option.

Out: Cyril-Inj Gibson-Corked Thigh ;) Hill-Corked Thigh ;)
In: Spangher Sewell Anderson

FB: Hodge.......Lake......Guerra
HB: Stratton...Spangher...Birchall
Ce: Savage....Mitchell......Smith
Ru: Bailey......Sewell.......Shiels
HF: Breust.....Franklin......Lewis
FF: Gunston...Roughead...Popeye
I/C: Burgoyne...Anderson......Hale
Sub: Osborne

Adelaide have no recognised tall forward so I don't think we need Lake, Stratton, CHB + Gibson in a 3rd man up role, especially with Hodge in defence; &, I think we need Stratton to play on the resting mids such as Dangerfield when they float forward. I think we rest Gibson + Hill this week

Might be taking Adelaide a little too lightly if we rest 2 of our regular 22 and pay their forward line and mids no respect. I would also prefer our guys carrying form into the Sydney game and start the rotations after that. Do not want to rest 3 or 4 players at once, it messes with the team balance a little.

I can't get a read on how well Hale / Bailey / Rough are working. I know what it has produced but I always find myself wondering how we would have faired if one of them was out.

Hale has been down on score output this year so maybe we drop him and go back to the 2 rucks with Gunners out of the goal square. At the moment Gunners is a good hhf and get out wingman for us but I am sure he would be more dangerous as a leading FF. More than Roughy is and Roughy plays his best when he is in the play so maybe he could be our get out kick between the arcs.

I keep thinking that Clarko has something up his sleeve and that is why he is running this setup. Maybe he wants Roughy fresh at the pointy end of the season so he is letting him spend time forward and only having him pinch hit in the ruck.

I think we need Stratton to play on the resting mids such as Dangerfield when they float forward.
Dangerfield will be waking up in a cold sweat every night this week leading up to the match ;):p

Playing tall against Adelaide won't work as when you play tall the aim is to be able to use the contested mark to your advantage, but Hawthorn have no one who can take a contested mark except for our FB and Stratton, not the people you want as the dominating contested markers of the game when playing tall.

And don't reply with Hale is a good contested mark. Fast becoming one of the biggest myths in the AFL.

Brant, we're playing with fire 'resting' guys like Gibbo and Hill. Hill is needed for pace - take him and Cyril out and we look a lot slower. Resting regulars and giving next tier players like Spang and Simpkin a run will happen in the three weeks after the Sydney game against GC, GWS and Melb.

We need more run to win this game! Was visibly lacking against North and I put it down to an off game after a really hard draw for 1st 5 rounds, but to win in Adelaide (where we normally play badly), will take a lot more run, and a lot more effort, especially with Cyril out. People have to step up to replace him.
Crows sliced us apart on the rebound in the PF last year, and they will do it again at their home ground this year unless we find good games from Smith, Savage, Hill and Franklin (who was abysmal).

Might be taking Adelaide a little too lightly if we rest 2 of our regular 22 and pay their forward line and mids no respect. I would also prefer our guys carrying form into the Sydney game and start the rotations after that. Do not want to rest 3 or 4 players at once, it messes with the team balance a little.

I can't get a read on how well Hale / Bailey / Rough are working. I know what it has produced but I always find myself wondering how we would have faired if one of them was out.

Hale has been down on score output this year so maybe we drop him and go back to the 2 rucks with Gunners out of the goal square. At the moment Gunners is a good hhf and get out wingman for us but I am sure he would be more dangerous as a leading FF. More than Roughy is and Roughy plays his best when he is in the play so maybe he could be our get out kick between the arcs.

I keep thinking that Clarko has something up his sleeve and that is why he is running this setup. Maybe he wants Roughy fresh at the pointy end of the season so he is letting him spend time forward and only having him pinch hit in the ruck.

Perhaps I am taking their forwardline a little lightly, but I'm only doing so based on what they've dished up this year. They have 2 starting forwards above 189cm. Josh Jenkins has played 16 career games & this season managed 5 games for 6 goals; while Tom Lynch has played 14 games & this season managed 2 games for 2 goals. If they throw Jacobs forward to stretch our 'undersized' defence then they'll gain (averaged from 2013) an extra .4 goals this game. And all this is after playing Essenscum, Brisbane, Port, Footscray & Carltank who aren't really known for their defensive efforts.

In wanting to rest Gibson I haven't exactly said that their players are crap, I've just suggested that with Lake in the side (& Spangher & Stratton), we'll likely not have much use for a guy going 3rd man up & spoiling all day, especially when he throws himself around a lot & we play a very formidable opponent with effective forwards the very next week.

I haven't undersold their midfield either in wanting to rest Hill (& forced change with Cyril) but bringing in Anderson & Sewell, I'm again suggesting that we'll need Hill @ 100% the following week & that a rest is probably the best way to get him there. I'm not sure where the reference to resting 3 or 4 players at once comes from.

Perhaps I am taking their forwardline a little lightly, but I'm only doing so based on what they've dished up this year. They have 2 starting forwards above 189cm. Josh Jenkins has played 16 career games & this season managed 5 games for 6 goals; while Tom Lynch has played 14 games & this season managed 2 games for 2 goals. If they throw Jacobs forward to stretch our 'undersized' defence then they'll gain (averaged from 2013) an extra .4 goals this game. And all this is after playing Essenscum, Brisbane, Port, Footscray & Carltank who aren't really known for their defensive efforts.

They will play Shaun McKernan this week!

If their pattern of LWLWL is anything to go by they will win this week. It is a danger game which we should win considering what they have dished up this year and what predicament they find themselves in after the weekend, but taking any opponent lightly is fraught with danger.

#justsayin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpkin has to come in. We were smashed at the clearnaces and he's handy in that area.

Not sure what Ossie has done wrong. I thought he was very good against Freo, playing a fair bit on Hill and keeping him to 14 touches. He also did some nice things last week.

Ossie was great against North so I can't see him going out.
I get the feeling there are a few ahead of Simpkin so I am not sure this week is his week.

Playing tall against Adelaide won't work as when you play tall the aim is to be able to use the contested mark to your advantage, but Hawthorn have no one who can take a contested mark except for our FB and Stratton, not the people you want as the dominating contested markers of the game when playing tall.

And don't reply with Hale is a good contested mark. Fast becoming one of the biggest myths in the AFL.

Depends where you play Lake....

I seriously doubt that mate.
I guess even the 2 smilies didn't make it obvious enough that what I said was 'wink wink, tongue in cheek' aka. 'A joke'...
I've already stated earlier (in this very thread I believe) that we will need to play a very close tag on Dangerfield as he is easily the biggest threat to our midfield with his combination of strength in the contest and burst of speed out of packs.

was hoping to see a couple changes based on form and cyril's injury, but it looks like guerra, gunston and savage will all hold there spots as sewell needs to pass another fitness test and anderson is another week away
could maybe go cyril for simpkin or bring in duryea if hes over his corky and play him in birchalls attacking half back position and birchall through the midfield

I'm not suggesting we play tall against Adelaide, the changes I suggest are certainly not for the sake of "going tall". I much prefer good players over tall players & other than naming Spangher, I pretty much named 22 of our best 25 players. What I did do was suggest we rest Gibson & replace him with Spangher for a week, my point being that Adelaide have no effective tall forwards & as such, the "3rd man as spoiler" might not be required, especially as their crumbers are strong-bodied & quite good. It's also unlikely that Spangher would be rag-dolled by an Adelaide forward like he would against Geelong/Sydney/Collingwood etc, even if they played Shaun McKernan ;).

As for your comment regarding Hale's marking: You may well be correct, I'm just not sure why you brought it up after quoting my post. I agree regarding his contested marking - he's no Cloke/Hawkins; however, with Buddy, Roughy & Gunston up forward, he sometimes finds himself minded by a HBF sized player & then he capitalises. I wouldn't play him forward at all, instead letting him float forward to engineer a mis-match, as playing him as FF means he gets cut up by the FB or rebounding BP's.

The only changes I can see is Sewell in for Rioli and maybe someone for Savage as the Sub. Would like to see Gunston out for another runner though, maybe Savage for a full game and someone else for sub but doubt it will happen.

Wanganeen in for Rioli. I'd like to see it.

Isn't he just coming back from an injury himself? He wouldn't be ready plus I honestly don't think he is good enough. Maybe see if he can sink or swim later in the year though as he is running out of time on our list.

In wanting to rest Gibson I haven't exactly said that their players are crap, I've just suggested that with Lake in the side (& Spangher & Stratton), we'll likely not have much use for a guy going 3rd man up & spoiling all day, especially when he throws himself around a lot & we play a very formidable opponent with effective forwards the very next week.

I haven't undersold their midfield either in wanting to rest Hill (& forced change with Cyril) but bringing in Anderson & Sewell, I'm again suggesting that we'll need Hill @ 100% the following week & that a rest is probably the best way to get him there. I'm not sure where the reference to resting 3 or 4 players at once comes from.

Sorry the resting 3 or 4 players was not about your post, just something I was putting out there. I agree about the potency of Adelaide's forward line to date

I just don't think this is the game for resting too many guys and for a few reasons
  • Adelaide have not been very good in the forward line but I think much of that has been due to their under performing midfield. They click and they will be very dangerous if we are resting players and they ARE capable of hurting us.
  • Our record in Adelaide is not great against the Crows. I think we have stolen 1 game against them out of the last 12 or something like that. If ever there is a chance to steal another it is this week so we to go in all guns blazing.
  • I would not rest Gibbo, instead I would prefer to use this game as another opportunity for Lake & Gibson to work together under real game situations. The more these two play in the same side the better they will gel at the pointy end of the season.
  • Adelaide may also have a smaller, more mobile forward line this week which is similar in structure to Sydney. If Adelaide are not on this week, at the very least it would be a tune up for a similar structure against Sydney.
  • Resting Hill leaves us too slow, especially with Rioli out and Sewell in. We could be cut up if Adelaide come to play.
  • We have 3 weeks to rest these guys coming up after Sydney, rest them in those games where the opposition is far less likely to hurt us.
Resting Hill might be more feasible if Anderson was ready but I think we are 20% chance of seeing him this week at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back