Preview Hawthorn Vs Geelong - Monday 17 April @3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buzza and House aren't exactly AFL-ready at the moment - don't forget that Stewart and Parsons have both played well at VFL level, while Parfitt was immediately identified as being ready for the AFL. More to the point, there's more leeway for a raw, underdone young midfielder because they can get out of the way and play on the outside as Parfitt has largely done. Larger players don't get that luxury.

Black would be nice but he's not really key position size IMO.

Im just giving options on the list that are actually on the list. Things that if form allows it can be tested or if injury strikes. Well black plays as a key forward most of his career that size (192cm) and geelong traded for him as a backup i doubt they are thinking hmm he needs to be taller to play CHF.

But realistically i don't care if any of them come in i would prefer a look but possibly won't happen with taylor in the side. I am against the 3 in the side together Stanley, smith and blicavs. Thats all i need to be content preferably either smith or stanley out of the side and we can experiment down forward. It's personal preference of mine thats it !

And talls smalls coming in and playing AFL it makes no difference what size you are. Your drafted to play a position you have lists you come in and play your role. Your role might be just to make an aerial contest no one expects debutants to torch games. Things take time but the only way to find out is to play AFL the only way you find out if they are afl ready. I have seen plenty shred VFL, WAFL, SANFl level and struggle in the big time.

This is going to sound harsh, but for the development and transition of our younger defenders, I would have liked Lonergan to retire at the end of last year.

They then could of had a full pre-season with Taylor and Henderson as the KPD and allowed for Kolodjashnij, Gardner and Stewart to fight it out for that 3rd tall defender position.

Instead, we've had to move Taylor forward to a). accomodate Lonergan and b). try and plug a gap, which clearly hasn't worked despite being 3-0.

There have been some big calls made over the past 6 years regarding players going, but I feel they missed one with Lonergan.
One was Milburn. And Mooney. Mid-season.

I don't think it's fair to mock those of us who were angry with the selected squad on Thursday. If anything our frustrations were proven justified with our match committee agreeing that the players we didn't think should be in the team, now not in the team. And I find it in poor taste to criticize people for responding in good faith.

I'm fed up with selection mind games. They're pointless and amateurish.

But anyway. Hopefully we bring the right intensity and have a good win. Sending Hawthorn 0-4 would make it extra delicious.

Not quite mid-season.

Milburn's last game was round 24, and Mooney's was round 21.

Spot on with each call though. I don't sense the willingness to do that now.
Well, in-season. Scott has shown he can make the tough calls, Lonergan may well be one..

It is fascinating. He did it then with two respected veterans. Hasn't done it since. Be interesting to watch.
There was a groundswell of young talent knocking down the door in 2011 though, so team changes were able to be made.

Given that Hunt, Kelly, SJ, Bartel, Pods, possibly Stokes and definitely Chappy were all moved on when they felt they could give more, I wouldn't be doubting CS' cojones in that department.

Well, in-season. Scott has shown he can make the tough calls, Lonergan may well be one..
The thing is, we don't have a ready made replacement which is why Gardner should have been exposed long before now and at least at JLT level.

Taylor is just about done too.

In reference to Milburn and Mooney, we had Hawkins who was ready and a number of defenders lining up to replace Milburn.

There was a groundswell of young talent knocking down the door in 2011 though, so team changes were able to be made.

Given that Hunt, Kelly, SJ, Bartel, Pods, possibly Stokes and definitely Chappy were all moved on when they felt they could give more, I wouldn't be doubting CS' cojones in that department.

None of them were dropped during the season though. Certainly not the veterans. The tough call could and should have been made earlier with Corey, Kelly, and Bartel for starters.

Remember too, one of those tough calls in 2011 was for a still mostly unproven Tom Hawkins. It's not like it was a guaranteed improvement. My query would be why the difference from 2011 to the years since.

The thing is, we don't have a ready made replacement which is why Gardner should have been exposed long before now and at least at JLT level.

In reference to Milburn and Mooney, we had Hawkins who was ready and a number of defenders lining up to replace Milburn.

If Gardner shows decent form in there VFL, surely we'll see him debut in the next 4-6 weeks? Lonergan/Taylor aren't capable of a 22 game season. I'd be trying to at least get 3-4 game into him this year. You never know - he may be a better bet than Lonergan by years end.

If Gardner shows decent form in there VFL, surely we'll see him debut in the next 4-6 weeks? Lonergan/Taylor aren't capable of a 22 game season. I'd be trying to at least get 3-4 game into him this year. You never know - he may be a better bet than Lonergan by years end.
Not sure where you've got the not-capable bit, Harry played every game last year.

However, I do agree that if he starts bashing down the door then Lonners probably gives way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with Gardner;
He could have played all pre-season games at FB with Henderson at CHB, Taylor as the 3rd tall and Lonergan as backup.

Would have been harsh on Lonergan but best outcome for the team IMO.

Sorry but cannot agree Stan.
Thursday night the board melted about Cowan getting back in undeservedly despite not even playing at all last weekend. Same standard should apply here, Lang was dropped for a very bad game v NM and he was bad, he shouldn't come back in when the VFL didn't play last weekend.

Make him earn his recall after that shitshow
No need to apologise.

The board would melt if we won the grand final because we didn't win by enough so I wouldn't read too much into that.

If Lang and McCarthy are dropped off one bad game then why doesn't the same rule apply to Motlop? It doesn't instill a strong culture IMO.

In all fairness, they squeezed an extra tall into the backline last year in Kolo for that very reason.

IMO Taylor *looks* done because he's been playing out of position all year. Move him back against the Roos and guess what he played like, an all-Australian CHB...

No need to apologise.

The board would melt if we won the grand final because we didn't win by enough so I wouldn't read too much into that.

If Lang and McCarthy are dropped off one bad game then why doesn't the same rule apply to Motlop? It doesn't instill a strong culture IMO.

I wholeheartedly agree with you last paragraph.
Take a look at the Bulldogs this week.
Sending Caleb Daniel and Shae Biggs back to the Vfl.

Scott hasnt made tough calls since 2011 and even then they werent tough.

He wont be dropping any oldies until they are well and truly cooked or someone is smashing the door down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back