Preview Hawthorn Vs Geelong - Monday 17 April @3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The corresponding game last year Stanley carried the ruck and did well against the BB and Zack Smith got on the score board for 3 goals,Blitz was good and Harry had 15 touches down back and who could forget Kersten flaming Gibson.:)
Ah yes, the six-touch game that sent shock waves through the AFL ;)

BTW I'm not 'liking' the injuries, I'm liking the Bews inclusion, though I doubt he'll make the final cut.

Sucks for GHS and seems that when Cowan was "managed" last week that they were concerned of an injury flaring.

Be interesting to know what that what changes have been made to the 18 on the field compared to the extended bench as both those guys were on the field. Is it as simple as Duncan and Menegola back on the field or has one of these guys forced their way into the current starting 18?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you have to take a few things into account;
- Our list doesn't have a genuine, readymade CHF
- Harry Taylor is still one of our best defenders
- Our ball movement appears to be quicker than last season
- Rarely have we used Hawkins/Stanley playing together as pure KPF, with Smith No.1 ruck and Blicavs giving him a chop out

I think with all things being considered, Stanley is our best option as a 2nd KPF, provided he plays as one for the whole game.

If he doesn't perform then by all means look at other options but for now, that's the structure I'd like to see.

I have taken this all into account i have watched stanley be traded as a forward at st kilda. To geelong who thought he was played out of position so turned him into a ruckman.

Our talls for the majority of last year were Hawkins, Smith, Stanley forward and late they threw henderson forward. So i have had a whole 2016 to mull over our forward line and the 3 ruck scenario and my conclusion is we need to try everything else first and if that doesn't work well stanley can end our CHF but its just not going to do enough to win you big games for mine he is not a natural fwd doesnt read the play well looks good when he gets a run and jump at the ball which happens once a game at afl level. Its the exact same set up as to what we had last year. It doesn't matter how quickly you want to move the ball when your reverting to playing an extra tall the reason we could to this point was because we were smaller.

I have taken this all into account i have watched stanley be traded as a forward at st kilda. To geelong who thought he was played out of position so turned him into a ruckman.

Our talls for the majority of last year were Hawkins, Smith, Stanley forward and late they threw henderson forward. So i have had a whole 2016 to mull over our forward line and the 3 ruck scenario and my conclusion is we need to try everything else first and if that doesn't work well stanley can end our CHF but its just not going to do enough to win you big games for mine he is not a natural fwd doesnt read the play well looks good when he gets a run and jump at the ball which happens once a gamr at afl level. Its the exact same set up as to what we had last year. It doesn't matter how quickly you want to move the ball when your reverting to playing an extra tall the reason we could to this point was because we were smaller.
That's true, but we kind of have tried everything else. We tried Kersten, and he wound up in the VFL - same with Vardy to a lesser extent, and Walker as well who just didn't do enough. We tried Harry up forward across pre-season and the first three games of this year and it's failed.

Stanley seems to be the least worst of our options left - it's that or Hendo, or an untried VFL player.

Hawthorn always lift against us, so I'm not counting my chickens yet. Especially given how poorly the guys played the last two weeks against Norf & the Dees.
They were terrible last week. Mitchell and Lewis are irreplaceable and They miss Lake. Their replacements are no where near it yet and need time to gel. I'm happy to write them off this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back