May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
PICK 1 - MELBOURNE -

JACK WATTS

Will take the tall forward, as they have some very nice developing rucks, and are in desperate need of a tall forward.

PICK 2 - WEST COAST EAGLES -

DANIEL RICH

Am set that WCE will take Rich to further bolster their young, up and coming midfield as their Key Positions are set, plenty of rucks available for later rounds.

PICK 3 - PORT ADELAIDE -

HAMISH HARTLETT

They are set at both ends of the ground, (B: Chaplin, Thurstans, Carlisle, F: J.Westoff, M.Westoff) and will complement their in and under hard ball players by being that outside ball carrier.

PICK 4 - FREMANTLE -

NICHOLAS NAITANUI

Will take best available and for mine it is big NicNat, they are in doubt about losing Warnock so would fill that whole left by big Robbie Warnock

PIC 5 - ESSENDON -

MICHAEL HURLEY

Got their man here, they were hoping for and got their man. will fill the whole that Michael and Fletcher will leave.

PICK 6 - RICHMOND

JACK ZIEBELL

Best available here, and for mine, that is Ziebell, will really complement the young Richmond mids, have most other areas covered ok, except for the midfield.

PICK 7 - CARLTON

JACKSON TRENGROVE

May surprise a few people here, will be this years Joel Selwood, injuries will not deter the Blues from taking this defender cum ****men.

PICK 8 - BRISBANE

CHRIS YARREN

May surprise a few people here also, are looking out for some small crumbing forwards, and that is Yarren, is a classy mover who can have his turn in the midfield, just what the Lions are after.

PICK 9 - ST.KILDA

STEELE SIDEBOTTOM

A classy midfielder, has class written all over him, will really compliment the Saints in and under type players.

PICK 10 - COLLINGWOOD

MITCH ROBINSON

May surprise a few people here, but has all the attributes the Pies are looking for.

PICK 11 - ADELAIDE

LEWIS JOHNSTON

Dont let the long locks and foolish attitude lead you own, this kid can play, has great hands and is a great contested mark, a perfect fit for the Crows style of play, kick it long, use it well.

PICK 12 - KANGAROOS

DAVID ZAHARAKIS

A strong hard at it midfielder, perfectly suited to the Roos style of play, and is every thing they stand for, teamwork, play for each other.

PICK 13 - SYDNEY

AARON CORNELIUS

Will be looking to bolster their young forward stocks and Cornelius fits this, is a really good stron, smart forward.

PICK 14 - WESTERN BULLDOGS

TYRONE VICKERY

Will be a slider (Albeit half a dozen spots) to the Dogs here, nobody will bid on Cordy so they will take a ruckmen cum forward in Vickery, the best all round ruck in the draft and is a steal at 14.

PICK 15 - HAWTHORN

JORDAN LISLE

May surprise a few here, but are in need of some tall timber down back and Lisle is that, will release Croad to play a roaming role, and Hodge to play more through the midfield.

PICK 16 - GEELONG

NICK SUBAN

A hard at it, no frills defender. With the pending retirement Milburn coming on, will be looking to bolster their small defenders.

PICK 17 - MELBOURNE - PRIORITY PICK

MATT DEBOER

A hard at it inside midfield ball magnet, can win the hard ball, and that is what the Dees are in need of.

PICK 18 - WEST COAST EAGLE - PRIORITY PICK

STEPHEN HILL

A hard running midfield utility type player, is a superb athlete and will be a steal at around 18 IMO.

PICK 19 - MELBOURNE

TOM SWIFT

A real chance here, they make take a punt on Swift, will be a steal too IMO, as he was touted as a potential first round pick before injuries struck him down.

PICK 20 - WEST COAST EAGLES

NEVILLE JETTA

Are looking for a small forward and here is their man, may be a bolter, but are what the Eagles are looking for.

PICK 21 - PORT ADELAIDE

SHAUN MCKERNAN

Will be looking to bolster their aging ruck stocks, and this is where McKernan fits in, is a sperb player around the ground.

PICK 22 - FREMANTLE

CLANCEE PEARCE

A small defender/midfielder, would not look out of place at the Dockers, although IMO, they may go after some more genuine midfielders.

PICK 23 - ESSENDON

JORDAN ROUGHEAD

Have a feeling, we may go for height here, and with Roughead still available, also allows us to get a KPP too.

PICK 24 - RICHMOND

TOM ROCKLIFF

A small crumbing forward, would be a handy inlcusion for the Tigers here.

PICK 25 - CARLTON

SAM BLEASE

One to slide here, the Blues will be likcing their lips when they recieve Bleae here, will really help their midfield, lack some genuine pace, apart from Judd and Gibbs.

PICK 26 - BRISBANE

RHYS O'KEEFE

A really good steal here for the Lions, a player with X Factor, someone that runs and carries the ball. will be a great accuisition.

PICK 27 - ST.KILDA

NIC HEYNE

One of my other players to slide here, he may well go higher, but I see him falling into this middle of round 2 area, St.Kilda should be happy.

PICK 28 - COLLINGWOOD

JAMIE SHEEHAN

May suprise some people here, but I was really impressed with the way Jamie went with his business and will be a risk with his height, a good player none the less.

PICK 29 - ADELAIDE

RYAN SCHOENMAKERS

A playuer that really impressed people was Schoenmakers. Will become a very handy third tall for them

PICK 30 - KANGAROOS

PAUL CAHILL

One that may slide a little, Cahill has the right size to play as a KPP inthe AFL, and would be a great asset to the Roos in 09.

PICK 31 - SYDNEY

JAY SHANNON

A real hard at it, tough in and under type player that Roos loves.

PICK 32 - WESTERN BULLDOGS

AYCE CORDY

Will use this pick on their father son pick, Cordy will help boost their tall stocks at Whitten Oval

PICK 33 - HAWTHORN

MATTHEW BROADBENT

A no frills defender who runs straight lines. a really good goes and one the Hawks will look closely at IMO

PICK 34 - GEELONG

RORY SLOANE

A small defender cum midfielder, has KP covered so looking for more smalls to cover the losses of some older mids.

Just some thoughts on this guys, is a little rushed, so if I missed some big name players (which I think I did) let me know. but that looks ok for now. havent really sat down and gone through it 2-3 times.

always interesting to read these phantom drafts.. and to be honest, id have no idea about all of it except for who adelaide might draft.. i doubt they'd draft both shoenmakers and johnston.. one of them perhaps.. i really want sidebottom

Good effort HFF!
Although Hartlett is the home town player, i still think Port would take Naitaniu ahead of him as they need the marquee player to get some crowd in, and they really dont have the young ruck stock coming through.

As for Eagles taking Neville Jetta at pick.20, I would say there is a much higher chance we would be taking Michael Walters before him. Similar player, but Walters with a lot more class and a far superior kick. I think a few people are underrating Walters here, in State 16's won the joint best and fairest for the carnival and averaged over 30 possessions a game

Good effort HFF!
As for Eagles taking Neville Jetta at pick.20, I would say there is a much higher chance we would be taking Michael Walters before him. Similar player, but Walters with a lot more class and a far superior kick. I think a few people are underrating Walters here, in State 16's won the joint best and fairest for the carnival and averaged over 30 possessions a game

Agree with that. As a prospect, I'd have Walters behind only Rich and Naitanui from WA. I rate him higher than Yarran, Walters is much more versatile (can play any non-key position on the ground) and has more upside too.

Agree with that. As a prospect, I'd have Walters behind only Rich and Naitanui from WA. I rate him higher than Yarran, Walters is much more versatile (can play any non-key position on the ground) and has more upside too.

Agreed, I rate Walters highly, he could develop into a classy midfield with unique skills, yet could also be played on down back, forward or even wing if need be..

PICK 7 - CARLTON

JACKSON TRENGROVE

May surprise a few people here, will be this years Joel Selwood, injuries will not deter the Blues from taking this defender cum ****men.
My question pertains to the word which was censored? :eek: :)

I want Yarran or Johnston.

Richmond should finish above Carlton when we play Roos, Lions(away) and Hawks and will be lucky to win one game. Richmond play Hawthorn, Fremantle(in Victoria) and Melbourne and should win two more matches to finish above us when they have a draw up their sleeve. Eagles won't lose to Melbourne and get a PP if they can beat the Lions, Crows, Saints and Bombers.

The theory the draft makes the competition even exists in fairy land with the AFL's belief that "Clubs don't tank".

Geelong and Hawthorn more add more cream to their list in the shape of Suban and Lisle.

The lower placed clubs just add a senior player like Palmer.

Money makes the AFL even, not the draft.

Carlton's turn around in the past twelve months is proof of this.

My question pertains to the word which was censored? :eek: :)

I want Yarran or Johnston.

Richmond should finish above Carlton when we play Roos, Lions(away) and Hawks and will be lucky to win one game. Richmond play Hawthorn, Fremantle(in Victoria) and Melbourne and should win two more matches to finish above us when they have a draw up their sleeve. Eagles won't lose to Melbourne and get a PP if they can beat the Lions, Crows, Saints and Bombers.

The theory the draft makes the competition even exists in fairy land with the AFL's belief that "Clubs don't tank".

Geelong and Hawthorn more add more cream to their list in the shape of Suban and Lisle.

The lower placed clubs just add a senior player like Palmer.

Money makes the AFL even, not the draft.

Carlton's turn around in the past twelve months is proof of this.

Or it could just be the acquisition of Judd (which may have happened without the cash) and the improvement of our High draft picks...

Your acting like this phantom draft is set in stone.

It is up to the recruiters to make the most out of the draft and make sure that the so-called 'cream' does not drop so far. The additional players that the top clubs get may only be a true asset if the club has room to develop them and may only come into play when other players have dropped off. It is either the draft or complete free-agency which will only make things harder for struggling clubs.

Anyway...best available is what my head says but I would love a forward or a midfielder.

Trengove just might fill the first criteria. :thumbsu:

I would prefer someone like Cahill with our second pick.

PICK 1 - MELBOURNE -

JACK WATTS

Will take the tall forward, as they have some very nice developing rucks, and are in desperate need of a tall forward.

err....who are the nice developing rucks we have :confused:

You're right about needing a tall forward though. Watts looks the goods for an underage kid. Will be very interesting to see where he and Naitanui go.

Edit: Forgot to add. We have a heap of inside ball winning mids. Jones, McLean and Grimes are our standouts, we really need some fast guys to compliment them. So with that in mind I'd imagine that with our PP we'd look at a kid like Blease if available.

Good effort though.

hoping Trengrove will slip to pick number 16, i feel their is a big chance he will as it is a strong draft and around pick 5-7 would have been his most likely draft number before the injury anyway, i am sure he has a big chance of sliding further down then.

PICK 3 - PORT ADELAIDE -

HAMISH HARTLETT

They are set at both ends of the ground, (B: Chaplin, Thurstans, Carlisle, F: J.Westoff, M.Westoff) and will complement their in and under hard ball players by being that outside ball carrier.

I am not an expert in the players that get drafted because the information i receive is what i read from all the experts (Not Big Footy writers, most of you are purely speculating) and i dont watch the junior games.

From what i understand of Port correct me if i am wrong port fans but the ruck department is where you are seriously lacking in quality and depth.

They also have some young gun onballers like salopek, boak,pearce plus players that have several years left like the cornes and burgoyne brothers, cassisi.

Therefore if there is a quality ruckman or key position player port will select them.

Therefore if i was the Port recruiter and Nat was available i would definitely take him.

err....who are the nice developing rucks we have :confused:

You're right about needing a tall forward though. Watts looks the goods for an underage kid. Will be very interesting to see where he and Naitanui go.

Edit: Forgot to add. We have a heap of inside ball winning mids. Jones, McLean and Grimes are our standouts, we really need some fast guys to compliment them. So with that in mind I'd imagine that with our PP we'd look at a kid like Blease if available.

Good effort though.

Ummm, Paul Johnson has been great. Spencer at Sandy looks pretty good.
Jamar is having his best year yet and you will probably get Warnock, you don't need a ruck.

While you do need pace, don't hope for Blease. Hope Robinson slides. But seriously, if I were you, I would be hoping for De boer.

Excellent effort HFF 07- very enjoyable read

BTW I would be stoked to get Johnston and Schoenmakers with our first two picks

Good work:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ummm, Paul Johnson has been great. Spencer at Sandy looks pretty good.
Jamar is having his best year yet and you will probably get Warnock, you don't need a ruck.

While you do need pace, don't hope for Blease. Hope Robinson slides. But seriously, if I were you, I would be hoping for De boer.

PJ great?

I must be watching the wrong team :confused:

I'd be very happy to get Sidebottom to the Sainters, I reckon if Tom Rockliff is still around for our 2nd pick (which is getting earlier & earlier!) he'd be a great fit. We desperately need a 3rd marking forward & a forward who actually kicks goals.

Saints needs;

Midfield pace
Goal kickers
Tall defender (Dal Santo to ??? so we can take Hurley!)

I don't think Pies would take either Robinson or Sheenan.

Going by your Mock - I would think pies would take Vickery in the 1st Round and Neville Jetta in the 2nd Round

I think you have done really well with your selections.

As a Blues supporter I'm not sure who we take with our 1st pick if Richmond do finish below us.

Very happy with either Blease or Rockliff with our 2nd pick, Rockliff really impressed me at the dome match.

PJ great?

I must be watching the wrong team :confused:

Wow you must be. He has had his best year by far.
Averaging 14 disposals, 5 marks, a great hitout to advantage average paper said the other week one of the best in the league. He is mobile and has great skills for a ruckman. My god watch your own team mate.

Ive seen Spencer at Sandy, he will be good, Jamar has shut down some great ruckman lately, having his best season. Meesen sucks, White is finished. But you have one great young ruckman and one decent 18 year old ruckman. Plus you have a new number 1 ruck who I think is a high chance to come to you in Warnock.

My god you might be frustrated by your teams poor onfield performance but surely that is more reason to see the positives out of the season, the major one being that Melbournes ruck situation isn't nearly as bad as originally forecasted.

West Coast will take Pearce and Swift if they can get them.

Neville Jetta will go in the 40's at best.

Wow you must be. He has had his best year by far.
Averaging 14 disposals, 5 marks, a great hitout to advantage average paper said the other week one of the best in the league. He is mobile and has great skills for a ruckman. My god watch your own team mate.

Ive seen Spencer at Sandy, he will be good, Jamar has shut down some great ruckman lately, having his best season. Meesen sucks, White is finished. But you have one great young ruckman and one decent 18 year old ruckman. Plus you have a new number 1 ruck who I think is a high chance to come to you in Warnock.

My god you might be frustrated by your teams poor onfield performance but surely that is more reason to see the positives out of the season, the major one being that Melbournes ruck situation isn't nearly as bad as originally forecasted.

Fair enough but PJ having his best season is not the same as being 'great'.
Spencer looks ok, Jamar has definitely improved, I'm just surprised with your use of the word 'great', that's all. It's a bit unexpected and it's not the phrase I'd use to describe their seasons, I'd favour 'much improved'.

And yes, I do watch my own team, that's why 'great' doesn't instantly spring to mind ;)

Very good phantom draft imo I completley agree with the top 6. A couple things West Coast probably wont have pick 18 and Neville Jetta wont go that high imo.

I don't think Pies would take either Robinson or Sheenan.

Going by your Mock - I would think pies would take Vickery in the 1st Round and Neville Jetta in the 2nd Round

Who are the pies going to take Heyne :D:D

doubt it, better players than him, as for your secind round, IMO that Sheehan fits the bill for the Ies, but hey, is my opinion, isnt it;):thumbsu:

On some of the other options, people may be right about NicNat to Port, have just had a look at their list, they have only Lade (32 y.o), Brogan (30y.o) as AFL standard ruckmen, and Giles and Deluca as rookies, that leaves them with 2 young rucks, when the other two retire, so in short, The Power may take NicNat, and the Dockers Hartlett.

Trengrove may not be picked, have spoken to a couple of Blues supporters and they feel they need a ruckmen/forward, and this IMO is Vickery, so will have to update the draft, maybe around the round 22 mark, any other thoughts on my draft:thumbsu:

Who are the pies going to take Heyne :D:D

doubt it, better players than him, as for your secind round, IMO that Sheehan fits the bill for the Ies, but hey, is my opinion, isnt it;):thumbsu:

On some of the other options, people may be right about NicNat to Port, have just had a look at their list, they have only Lade (32 y.o), Brogan (30y.o) as AFL standard ruckmen, and Giles and Deluca as rookies, that leaves them with 2 young rucks, when the other two retire, so in short, The Power may take NicNat, and the Dockers Hartlett.

Trengrove may not be picked, have spoken to a couple of Blues supporters and they feel they need a ruckmen/forward, and this IMO is Vickery, so will have to update the draft, maybe around the round 22 mark, any other thoughts on my draft:thumbsu:

You never know with the Pies. IIRC Thomas was projected to go around last first round and Pendlebury was projected to go somewhere in the second rounder, Thomas pick 2 and Pendlebury pick 5. Also i don't think N.Brown was projected to go where he did in the draft (Collingwood), he does seem to like the high risk high reward players. I think the Pies will pick one of Heyne, Blease, Vickery or McKernan, depends on who Hine thinks has the most potential.

On Carlton, doesn't matter what we need, we will take best available regardless of whether that is a midfielder or tall forward and i don't think with the pick we will get that it will be Vickery.

I dont think that we will draft 2 midfielders with picks 17, 19 seeing this is the last real draft year i believe that we have to draft key position players with at least pick 1 and 17 or 19. I do agree though that we need a midfielder with pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hff_07 Phantom Draft - Edition I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back