Hodge vs. Mitchell Hawthorn captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodge for me

mclean for the dees

cornes for port.

you captain needs to be able to inspire the team to win. guys like hodge and mclean can will themselves into the contest and win the game for you.

mitchell is a scott west type player. extremely good. but will win you a game in 4 quarters and consistently performs at 100%.

I'm not going to look at other clubs to decide what we should do. St Kilda's rotation policy was completely different. They gave it to guys so could grow into leaders, rather than waiting for them to become leaders then give it to them.

Hawthorn has given it to the best leader in Vandenberg, and stood by him til others are ready. Vanders still has the respect so he keeps it. May even get another year, probably not though.

Hodge and Mitchell are both hitting their prime with their footy now, and are ready. So giving it to them both wouldn't do any damage I don't think.

The main reason I feel giving co-captains, is that you miss out on something if you choose one or the other, but giving it to both I can't see too much harm being done.

Its working well for us at the moment, as both Sam and Luke are swapping each game whilst Vanders is out. I'm sure that could eventually become the norm.

Hodge should be the next captain of the Hawks with Sammy as VC.

Hodge is everything you want in a leader, tough, fearless, highly skilled and can play back, forward, or midfield.

Hodge takes no shit and is always the first player there when a teamate needs help if things get physical.

Sammy is also a fantastic player and speaks well to the media but I think Hodgey is getting better at the media stuff.

So IMO

Captain.......... Hodge.
VC................ Sammy
DVC ............ Bateman/ Brown

Thought I might as well have a shot at all the clubs. Some wild guesses in there.

Adelaide: Van Berlo, Thompson or Rutten
Brisbane: Don't know how long they will keep up their co-captain regime. I'd like to see Rischitelli get a shot at some point.
Carlton: Interim captain before Murphy
Collingwood: Fraser
Dons: Hille, then Stanton
Fremantle: Probably not on their list right now if Pav stays captain for the next 6-7 years
Geelong: Gary Ablett Jr (without a doubt!)
Hawks: Hodge
North: I really don't have a clue. Could be passed onto an interim leader. Long term McIntosh?
Melbourne: Green or White then McLean or Rivers
Port: Chad Cornes
Richmond: Pettifer
St Kilda: Everyone (including the waterboy) gets a turn! Sam Fisher
Sydney: Malceski/Kennelly/Goodes (co-captains)
West Coast: Waters
Western: Gilbee

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodge vs. Mitchell Hawthorn captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back