How confident are you about the upcoming game against St Kilda?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've watched the Saints a few times this year. They aren't easy beats. This will be the first time we'll have gone into a game as favourites this season. Hopefully they don't get ahead of themselves.

I rate this game as tougher than the Richmond and West Coast games.

After watching the Essendon v St Kilda game I noticed how ugly both teams are at moving the ball forward. While we flood and gut run with handballs, they play stop start, safe, long, wide kicks. Any form of pressure is going to see both teams collapse. It's what Collingwood did to Essendon on Anzac day and what we'll do to the Saints this week.

I'm not worried really. While I wouldn't be that surprised if we dropped off and lost it'd be disappointing and really we should know by now you can't take Anyone easy and Bev should get us up and about.

Again I think we match up well. Bruce is in great form but roughy is a good match up for him. Talia should be capable of going with Roo and Roberts can chop Roughy out to do spells in the ruck. Would even be keen going in a bit short down back but I rate Talia, Rough and Roberts so highly and I just want games into them.

We should be too big for them up front as well and this is the week I can see Boyd really breaking out, has been in great touch but under the roof with our quick ball movement and hopefully a lot of inside 50s they should stick and he should kick 4+.

Our pressure on the ball carrier should be huge this week like so many have said if we bring our trademark pressure we should be able to score extremely heavily on the turnover.

I'd bring Minson in, he's had a few weeks and knows what he needed to work on let's hope he did. This game should be completely on our terms so the first use of the ball and dominance of the centre will be a big positive, especially with yet another one of our best ball winners out.

Also no Jong to go third man up means Cordy will struggle and I don't like the idea of wasting Bonts in that role. Besides with our pressure and their skills at the best of times I can't see how Saints could manage to consistently get through our zone so Minson shouldn't be much of a liability. This is the week to bring him back in, let Cordy work on his ruck craft in the 2s he will be back when we need him. It also means Rough won't be needed as much in the ruck so can stay on Bruce, and Roberts can go to Bruce when Rough does have to ruck. Keeping Boyd forward where he could be dominant.

I'd like to bring in some more attacking types like Dale or Hunter and just dominate them on the outside.

Might be a strange thing to say this week after our last two great wins but if we comfortably win this then were the real deal, who won't drop the easier games.

No need not to be confident

There is no way the Saints will knock us of on saturday. I honetly think a 10 goal thumping for the dogs.

Long time bulldog supporter, always a bit nervous re results. 2008, beat Adelaide, flog Melbourne, beat Saints then draw Richmond. Win 9 of the next 10. Absolute mayhem of a season, the unbridled joy of going to the footy knowing the boys will find a way to win.

2015, same feeling now. We are chaos personified, no team can contain us (except hawks with sublime foot skills), let's ride the roller coaster. Time for an up'n'down shoot out with the Saints, with us blitzing over the last 2 quarters.

I'm not overly confident, was actually more confident going into every game bar the Sydney/Hawthorn games. Think St Kilda are building something pretty good over there though they're a bit behind us in development so we should win by 4-5 goals. I'm expecting it to be close up until about half way through the third and we should kick away a bit late. How we bounce back and recover from that grueling game against Sydney will determine the outcome I believe.

Dogs by 27

It's funny how a few wins make some less confident than they probably where at the start of the season when looking at the fixture.

I disagree with the notion that we are due for a downer after such a good win. I think that spirit and confidence will carry in for another week and we are much more likely due for a downer the week after. I think we will carry in the emotion into this week and can see us starting like the Adelaide game.

Don't think it'll be a flogging, more like a 30 point win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a bad feeling about this game but thats only because of past history with the dogs.

Its a danger game because we are expected to win and we are coming off an euphoric win so it could mean we come out expecting it to just happen or a bit flat

However, none of these should affect a good side. If we are the real deal, we'll come out with that same pressure and attack on the footy and win comfortably. Now at this stage this is still a question mark for us so Saturday's game will be really telling. If we win, and win easily......ill start believing.

I've gone in with every game this year not real confident and this week is the pretty much the same. Riewoldt in is always a worry, gives me nightmares.

I'm nervous this game how our young guys can handle the favorite tag when they are hunted by opposition.

And also Jong is a big loss we are getting lack of inside mids specially their clearance stat is not bad either.
Can we cover Libba, Wallis, and Jong in the same time?
Hope Clay is hitting straps now and fills the void.

Some posters are sounding a bit like the Richmond supporters we were lampooning a month ago. We have come a long way this year but keep it in perspective it's a 5 week run that included a 70 point loss.
Was thinking this exact same thing myself.
Another thing, isn't this thread serving the same purpose as the faceoff thread?
Merge them maybe.

Some posters are sounding a bit like the Richmond supporters we were lampooning a month ago. We have come a long way this year but keep it in perspective it's a 5 week run that included a 70 point loss.
Nahhh, not even similar I reckon. There's been a few overly confident in us smashing em, quite a lot who agree that providing we bring our best we should account for them quite easily, and the majority have even said it's a danger game and they're not confident. Not even close to the level of arrogance Richmond showed.

Nahhh, not even similar I reckon. There's been a few overly confident in us smashing em, quite a lot who agree that providing we bring our best we should account for them quite easily, and the majority have even said it's a danger game and they're not confident. Not even close to the level of arrogance Richmond showed.
That's pretty much what they were doing on the Tigers board. Only Reaper was really making a fool of himself. We need to stay humble and realistic. Remember where we came from and that we're only one shitty performance away from that. Judging by last year we aren't that far ahead of the Saints and they didn't disgrace themselves last week without Joey and the Diver. At this point I'm hoping for a win but not expecting anything.

The one difference being the smallest winning margin the Tigers had them beating us by was 5 goals :p But I agree, we are in no place to be overly cocky or arrogant.

That's pretty much what they were doing on the Tigers board. Only Reaper was really making a fool of himself. We need to stay humble and realistic. Remember where we came from and that we're only one shitty performance away from that. Judging by last year we aren't that far ahead of the Saints and they didn't disgrace themselves last week without Joey and the Diver. At this point I'm hoping for a win but not expecting anything.
I am certainly expecting a win. But only because we are the better side. Im not even thinking finals yet and its way too early. If we lose this week, then lose to Freo, suddenly we are 4-3 and things dont look so rosy. so i think we all need to stay grounded

We need to win this to prove that we aren't taking the foot off the pedal.
There is a danger in the way the saints are playing decent football and the emotional letdown of the Sydney game is a real risk.

I am certainly expecting a win. But only because we are the better side. Im not even thinking finals yet and its way too early. If we lose this week, then lose to Freo, suddenly we are 4-3 and things dont look so rosy. so i think we all need to stay grounded

Wow how quickly things can change.I bet if someone told you at the start of the season that we would be 4-3 after 7 rounds you would have taken it and run.:D
Not having a go by the way. Just a comment on changing expectations.

Wow how quickly things can change.I bet if someone told you at the start of the season that we would be 4-3 after 7 rounds you would have taken it and run.:D
Not having a go by the way. Just a comment on changing expectations.
To be honest I would have taken that last week :p

Remove this Banner Ad

How confident are you about the upcoming game against St Kilda?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back