Roast How diabolical is our midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

Berry got dropped simply because he was out of form .. his calf injury went some way to cover that up

We will not be a genuine contender until we get two A grade midfielders. We need to get them by trading. If we choose the draft it will take them 5 to 6 years to develop.
Are you expecting us to be premiership contenders right now? I'm not expecting us to play finals until 2 more years so why can't Soligo, Rachele and Pedlar be those midfielders.

Are you expecting us to be premiership contenders right now? I'm not expecting us to play finals until 2 more years so why can't Soligo, Rachele and Pedlar be those midfielders.
Genuinely think people are misguided by what an A grade midfielder is. None of those guys to me have that potential. All B’s. The only guy you could argue has the potential is Pedlar but his fitness and lack of ability to find the footy are holding him back.

Genuinely think people are misguided by what an A grade midfielder is. None of those guys to me have that potential. All B’s. The only guy you could argue has the potential is Pedlar but his fitness and lack of ability to find the footy are holding him back.
And that's why you rate Laird as a "C grader" lol. Rachele and Soligo both have A grade potential whether they can reach elite is the question.

Wasn’t different to any other of his 34 possession weeks though was it? He’s an accumulator, no more. Zero hurt factor. The fact he’s our midfield ”gun“ is telling. No wonder we stink.
He isn't our gun midfielder, this is now Dawson who is an A grader. He is a solid B+ grader who's strength is clearance work.

Rachele could end up the Shai Bolton Zac Bailey calibre.

Not quite top end elite. But just below.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rachele has elite goal goal sense. Nothing else is even close to elite.
Are you going by his first 4 games were his field kicking was elite with chase down aggressive tackles and still hitting the score board playing as a midfielder or his last 4 games were he has been below his best?

"Our 19 year olds aren't elite yet"

tantrum GIF

Soligo - too small, tad slow, lacks kicking penetration. also question his decision making in contested situations.
Rachele - tad slow, lacks endurance, takes a bit too long to kick a ball and question his kicking speed. an elite goalscorer instead
Pedlar could get there with increased endurance.

Soligo - too small, tad slow, lacks kicking penetration. also question his decision making in contested situations.
Rachele - tad slow, lacks endurance, takes a bit too long to kick a ball. an elite goalscorer instead
Question mark over Soligo's decision making in contested situation? No doubt he has been rushed as any very young player playing predominately in the midfield in his 2nd year will be but there were countless times when his decision marking has been great in tight contest and Rachele's field kicking was elite in the first 4 games of the season, not bad for "taking a bit too long to kick a ball".

Both Soligo and Rachele don't have express pace but they aren't slow across the ground, I didn't know you need to be big body and have explosive pace and also have a penetration kick to be elite (you don't consider Neale or Pendlebury elite as they don't have all of those attributes) and endurance will improve, that's why the young players struggle and get tired as the season goes on.

Wow.

And some people think we’re on the improve? It’s a fake improve, because this midfield isn’t going to get us anywhere near it.

No class, no speed. No one close to elite, and I don’t think anyone on the list who could even potentially get to elite. Laird? Will rack up 30 today with zero impact. So far from elite.

Shameful drafting and list management.
Don't worry. We have ben keays. He is the result of terrible list management.

Last edited:
Rachele - tad slow, lacks endurance, takes a bit too long to kick a ball and question his kicking speed. an elite goalscorer instead
Soligo will be fine. One that hamish got right.

Our midfield is still our biggest problem, but less than it was over the last two years.
I am now worrying a little less about talent (Soligo, Rachele, Pedlar showing very good signs), but they are still at least 2 years off for experience, and Pedlar and Rachele need a lot of endurance work.
I remember when Petracca was a very hot and cold, slightly disappointing forward. He needed years of games and fitness.
I remember when Dangerfield was an explosive 20 touches per game young mid and we worried if he’d ever be able to accumulate. He needed years.
Our young mids also need years.
It would be really nice if we could do a Lachie Neale type trade, that is the one that really set Brisbane up.

Question mark over Soligo's decision making in contested situation? No doubt he has been rushed as any very young player playing predominately in the midfield in his 2nd year will be but there were countless times when his decision marking has been great in tight contest and Rachele's field kicking was elite in the first 4 games of the season, not bad for "taking a bit too long to kick a ball".

Both Soligo and Rachele don't have express pace but they aren't slow across the ground, I didn't know you need to be big body and have explosive pace and also have a penetration kick to be elite (you don't consider Neale or Pendlebury elite as they don't have all of those attributes) and endurance will improve, that's why the young players struggle and get tired as the season goes on.
Neale I don't consider to be elite.
Pendlebury obviously yes. Was one of the best in his prime. Deadly accurate and long enough kick. Top decision making, agility, smarts, endurance which I consider > burst speed and strength.
But Soligo doesn't have Pendlebury's ability.

Neale I don't consider to be elite.
Pendlebury obviously yes. Was one of the best in his prime. Deadly accurate and long enough kick. Top decision making, agility, smarts, endurance which I consider > burst speed and strength.
But Soligo doesn't have Pendlebury's ability.
Similar average to Pendlebury when he was 19 years old and Soligo has a good and long enough kick, shown countless time he has extremely good decision marking, agility and smart (haven't you seen this?).

1684592115121.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back