Roast How diabolical is our midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, Rachele was pick 6 and Pedlar was pick 11.......

Rachele was drafted as an elite small forward that could potentially become a high level mid. Hoping he does, because 6 and 5 on small forwards back to back is horrific draft/trade strategy given our midfield was full of b grade draft horses. For too long we've looked at our favourable stoppage stat and deluded ourselves into believing that you don't need to spend big on elite mids. 11 is not a big spend, but (injury/body permitting) it looks like we spent it well. I rate Pedlar highly and I've backed Jones in the whole way and reckon he can be a weapon in there too.

But fact is that we've had a few sub 10 picks the last few years and Jones is the only mid we used the picks on. That's pure incompetence or flawed list strategy and/or understanding of the modern game, regardless of whether Jones lives up to the value. And I remain hopeful that he will.

nope, wouldn't get a game in any of Port's, Dogs' or Demon's midfields.
I didn't mean Dawson-as-midfielder, or as stats-accumulator; more about his game impact.
Dawson's smart, an elite kick and hard two-way runner; Top 5 in AFLCA voting.
I still think any Club would be happy to have him. Where they'd play him is anybody's guess.
You need to understand that it's only at our club where stats are used to value performance.
That's a sweeping claim. How do you know that, or is it a hunch? That's not a cheap shot. If you have evidence going back directly to Nicks and raw disposal numbers, please quote them. If Nicks is a raw numbers man, I want him out and away from the AFC.
I don't know if that's the case or not, but my hunch is that all AFL Clubs look at player stats but give more weight to the 1%ers and a player's game impact more than just raw kicks and handballs.
The Greenwood dig at Roo wasn't a joke sledge, he shined a light on a genuine club philosophy.
I remembered the Tweet-fight, summarised well here:
In the GCS/Crows game, Greenwood had 6 clearances to the Crows total 7, 10 possessions, 13 tackles.
Roo's jibe about "only 10 touches" was dumb, but Roo is dumb and it says more about Roo than a Club philosophy, doesn't it?

I loved Greenwood. Keays reminds me of him. I was unhappy when he was traded at the end of 2019, pre-Nicks. From memory, Greenwood wanted to stay but it was about contract length and GCS offered more years, is that right?
Greenwood's value was in the 1%ers, contested possessions, tackling (avged about 7/game) and other game impacts, here:

We certainly could have used Greenwood in the midfield yesterday!

Rachele was drafted as an elite small forward that could potentially become a high level mid. Hoping he does, because 6 and 5 on small forwards back to back is horrific draft/trade strategy given our midfield was full of b grade draft horses. For too long we've looked at our favourable stoppage stat and deluded ourselves into believing that you don't need to spend big on elite mids. 11 is not a big spend, but (injury/body permitting) it looks like we spent it well. I rate Pedlar highly and I've backed Jones in the whole way and reckon he can be a weapon in there too.

But fact is that we've had a few sub 10 picks the last few years and Jones is the only mid we used the picks on. That's pure incompetence or flawed list strategy and/or understanding of the modern game, regardless of whether Jones lives up to the value. And I remain hopeful that he will.
Rachele played midfield during his draft year so I highly doubt we pigeon hole him as only a small forward when we drafted him. Jones has finally been putting up consistent numbers which he severe lacked until this year but I don't think he will reach the level of Rachele and Pedlar as top 10 midfielder pick, potentially a solid B+ grader which isn't bad for a pick 9.

I didn't mean Dawson-as-midfielder, or as stats-accumulator; more about his game impact.
Dawson's smart, an elite kick and hard two-way runner; Top 5 in AFLCA voting.
I still think any Club would be happy to have him. Where they'd play him is anybody's guess.

That's a sweeping claim. How do you know that, or is it a hunch? That's not a cheap shot. If you have evidence going back directly to Nicks and raw disposal numbers, please quote them. If Nicks is a raw numbers man, I want him out and away from the AFC.
I don't know if that's the case or not, but my hunch is that all AFL Clubs look at player stats but give more weight to the 1%ers and a player's game impact more than just raw kicks and handballs.

I remembered the Tweet-fight, summarised well here:
In the GCS/Crows game, Greenwood had 6 clearances to the Crows total 7, 10 possessions, 13 tackles.
Roo's jibe about "only 10 touches" was dumb, but Roo is dumb and it says more about Roo than a Club philosophy, doesn't it?

I loved Greenwood. Keays reminds me of him. I was unhappy when he was traded at the end of 2019, pre-Nicks. From memory, Greenwood wanted to stay but it was about contract length and GCS offered more years, is that right?
Greenwood's value was in the 1%ers, contested possessions, tackling (avged about 7/game) and other game impacts, here:

We certainly could have used Greenwood in the midfield yesterday!

Need to say, having reviewed the post that I responded to that my comments weren't about Dawson, they were about Laird who was also a part of the post. I understand why my post has been construed as Dawson being the subject. But he wasn't.

Rachele played midfield during his draft year so I highly doubt we pigeon hole him as only a small forward when we drafted him. Jones has finally been putting up consistent numbers which he severe lacked until this year but I don't think he will reach the level of Rachele and Pedlar as top 10 midfielder pick, potentially a solid B+ grader which isn't bad for a pick 9.

No mate, Rachele was drafted as an elite forward that we hope can become an elite mid. I wouldn't mind seeing the stats re how many elite AFL mids were playing as small forwards and/or part time mids in their draft year.

188B1F59-5660-45CE-B6AF-3EAB25EA20AC.png

No mate.

Covid restricted season in his top age year and no football in his underage year.

U16's All Australian, U 16's Nationals M.V.P. (Kevan Sheahan Medal) and U16's Vic Country M.V.P. at the U16's Nationals playing as a pure midfielder.

Connor Rozee also an U16's Kevan Sheahan medalist at the Nationals in his 16's yearplaying midfield...how long before he became a full time mid?

Connor Rozee also played mostly forward at the U18's Nationals even spent time in defence in his top age year and played forward for North Adelaide...with no Covid restrictions whatsoever

I also note with interest you conveniently only snipped what suited your argument from his Rookie Me bio...

View attachment 1692993...

So covid affected only his development? Not the other players in that draft. So there were no mids played or drafted?

So covid affected only his development? Not the other players in that draft.
What utter bullshit....JHF never missed one game in his underage or top age year...not one...Rachele played only a handful in his top age year and never played at all in his under age year.

Who from his draft is doing a whole lot better than him, certainly not JHF who never missed a game or any training throughout his development.

You're way off here whith your usual negativity.

What utter bullshit....JHF never missed one game in his underage or top age year...not one...Rachele played only a handful in his top age year and never played at all in his under age year.

Who from his draft is doing a whole lot better than him, certainly not JHF who never missed a game or any training throughout his development.

You're way off here whith your usual negativity.

I only asked questions, never made a statement, so not sure what you’re hyperventilating over. You blamed covid for Rachele not being played as a mid pre-draft, this is fact. Question is whether it was just him or did no vic kids play midfield because of covid?

Go track down Hamish's comments after we drafted Josh if you want to see/hear why we picked him...

I know why we picked him, I’ve been crystal clear on that. But it’s beyond doubt that we selected an elite forward with midfield potential. That’s not the same as selecting a midfielder. Jones we selected as a midfielder. But Rachele we selected as a potential mid, just as we traded 5 to Suns for a potential mid. And this must be true because nobody pays 5 or 6 for a small forward, no matter how good. You blew in your pants getting 12 and 30 for peak Danger, it’s fair to say your valuing of real assets is very suspect.

Strange for someone we don't consider as a midfielder, we have been having him attend CBA's...

Ever diminishing. And even then, the very obvious point being made is that he wasn’t a midfielder when we drafted him. He was clearly an elite small forward that could possibly transition to the midfield. That’s not the same as grabbing someone like the Bont at 4.

If people are seriously arguing that we haven’t targeted certain midfielders with our sub 10 picks the last few years, then there’s no point engaging. You’re obviously just not too smart.

ps hopefully that’s not too aggressive Bruce, I didn’t identify any individuals and nor did I directly say any particular person was an idiot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keays as a mid in 2021/22 offered more as a mid than Sloane is offering now.

McHenry (who has been in good form) would probably offer more than Keays as a half forward.

Sloane has played some good games but it's becoming problematic to have a guy who can barely run in there.

McHenry (who has been in good form) would probably offer more than Keays as a half forward.

Sloane has played some good games but it's becoming problematic to have a guy who can barely run in there.
Keays and Sloane both shouldn't be in our midfield. Sloane needs a good rest for 2-3weeks. I reckon this is his final year so it's best to send him out with some good performances 2nd half of the year. I think the major problem with our midfield lately is that Dawson has been down some games. Laird has been injured as well and not at his best. The rest of our midfield is young but give them another 50 games and we will be in better shape. We do need to recruit another big bodied ball user that can also win it. Maybe we are going after Parish.

Parish is a big bodied ball user?
Better than Keays I guess. I never watch him tbh but he's the player I hear being brought up that we might be into. He's never really caught my eye in Essendon games. We need to be bringing someone in as our midfield is up there as one of the worst going around.

Better than Keays I guess. I never watch him tbh but he's the player I hear being brought up that we might be into. He's never really caught my eye in Essendon games. We need to be bringing someone in as our midfield is up there as one of the worst going around.
If you’re looking at getting Parish, you get him as a Laird replacement. He’s not the fix to our midfield issues, otherwise

If you’re looking at getting Parish, you get him as a Laird replacement. He’s not the fix to our midfield issues, otherwise
Day was the one we needed but Hawks opened up the cheque book. Maybe we can still get him when ooc or possibly during.

Wow.

And some people think we’re on the improve? It’s a fake improve, because this midfield isn’t going to get us anywhere near it.

No class, no speed. No one close to elite, and I don’t think anyone on the list who could even potentially get to elite. Laird? Will rack up 30 today with zero impact. So far from elite.

Shameful drafting and list management.

Outside of McAsey pick when we could have had Serong (or even Day) when could we have got one

There was no midfielder of note when we draft Thilthorpe that has done well/ didn’t have issues

Rachele I think will be a gun mid

I think Rankine adds the X factor required to win big games and so that pick was okay

Wasn’t Jones better than Butters leading into his draft

Let’s not argue Rankine - we got a quality player

What would you have done differently list wise

Who would you target now?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Rubbish Izak went at pick 3 in his draft year and Nick Watson will go top 5 in this year's draft, Liam Henry went pick 9 a couple of years ago, Ben Aisworth went pick 4, Jarrod Pickett also went at pick 4.

You think Kysaiah Pickett wouldn't draw a pick inside 5 or 6 if he was to be traded?

What do you think Toby Greene would have brought pick wise if he was on the market at Izak's age?

You think not one club would jump at the chance to get Rachele for a top 10 pick right now even if he wast just a small forward?

geez, how many darts do you need to throw at a board ahead of discussing the singular point at hand?

Outside of McAsey pick when we could have had Serong (or even Day) when could we have got one

There was no midfielder of note when we draft Thilthorpe that has done well/ didn’t have issues

Rachele I think will be a gun mid

I think Rankine adds the X factor required to win big games and so that pick was okay

Wasn’t Jones better than Butters leading into his draft

Let’s not argue Rankine - we got a quality player

What would you have done differently list wise

Who would you target now?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Rankine is a quality finisher but I expected more for what we gave up. He must finish off the goals where he is running at the goal from 50 out. He's done it twice now. I also want to see him get more involved in general play. We basically need more from him.

Sloane had returned as a breath of fresh air. But we've started running him into the ground and his ego loves being a mid. Our coaches are incredibly weak and largely stupid.

Sloane had returned as a breath of fresh air. But we've started running him into the ground and his ego loves being a mid. Our coaches are incredibly weak and largely stupid.
Sloane is nearly 34. Most players are done by 30-31. Sloane was never going to be the answer to our midfield woes. The fact he is playing in there shows how bad our list management and recruiting has been for mids. That's pretty damning with some of the best picks the club has ever had over the last 5 years. The draft that really stands out is the rozee and butters draft. Add them into our midfield and we are a completely different team. Add Serong in there as well and we are competing for flags.

Rubbish Izak went at pick 3 in his draft year and Nick Watson will go top 5 in this year's draft, Liam Henry went pick 9 a couple of years ago, Ben Aisworth went pick 4, Jarrod Pickett also went at pick 4.

You think Kysaiah Pickett wouldn't draw a pick inside 5 or 6 if he was to be traded?

What do you think Toby Greene would have brought pick wise if he was on the market at Izak's age?

You think not one club would jump at the chance to get Rachele for a top 10 pick right now even if he wast just a small forward?

Rachele is worth less uncontracted than what we paid for him. Nobody pays 6 for a small forward, you pay only that for elite mids. Remember when you soiled your panties getting a mid first and a mid second for Danger?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back