Roast How diabolical is our midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop man, just stop.
It's call a discussion. Maybe you will learn a bit from us given you said Rachele only has elite goal sense (looking only at his last 4 weeks while discounting his performance in the first 4 weeks playing as a midfielder) and Laird is a "C grader" lol.

Last edited:
It's call a discussion. Maybe you will learn a bit from us given you said Rachele only has elite goal sense (looking only at his last 4weeks while discounting his performance in the first 4 weeks playing as a midfielder) and Laird is a "C grader" lol.
None of which is untrue. Rachele isnt quick, and isn’t overly damaging by foot, butchers it far too often. Elite talents look like elite talents even early.

None of which is untrue. Rachele isnt quick, and isn’t overly damaging by foot, butchers it far too often. Elite talents look like elite talents even early.
Roughly how many elite talents are currently in the league in your opinion?

Just getting an idea how strict your criteria is

And did you see him butcher the ball in his first 4 weeks when he just transition into the midfield....NO. So you need to have express speed to be consider elite, you didn't see those chase down tackles he did in his first 4 weeks, he definitely wasn't "isn't quick" and I guess Stephens will be elite then.

Soligo - too small, tad slow, lacks kicking penetration. also question his decision making in contested situations.
Rachele - tad slow, lacks endurance, takes a bit too long to kick a ball and question his kicking speed. an elite goalscorer instead
Pedlar could get there with increased endurance.

I don't agree

Too small
- he's actually pretty solid for 180cm guy, that's where the nickname the fridge comes from. Wide shoulders, big tourso and obviously has strong core.

Tad slow - I agree he's not the quickest but definitely not slow enough to stand out or be called out as a major weakness.

Kick Lacks penetration - has great penetration on his kick, I think he's kicking is actually fantastic.

also question his decision-making in contested situations. - he's actually has shown he has a high footy IQ and and generally make sound decisions under pressure.

Kick ticks that many boxes I can believe ypu actually complaining.

I project Soligo's future out put to be prime Rory Sloane (2016-17) with a better kick.

Rachele is not slow....we've see that a number of times and his tank is building.

Takes a bit long to kick the ball...his ball drop is one of the quickest I've seen, that how he get the snaps of quick around goal.

I would not be going after those two names if your trying call our midfield issues.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Improvement with experience isn't something that's isolated to our list. The problem is, all of the other high calibre midfield talents in the league will also improve.

We haven't put enough resource into the midfield in our rebuild. It's not good enough now, and I doubt it has the makings of a premiership midfield ever. We don't have a 'this guy will be one of the top 5 players in the game' type mid on the list.

Dawson looked elite for a while there, but hasn't been able to sustain it.

Rubbish.
ANY team would love to have him.

nope, wouldn't get a game in any of Port's, Dogs' or Demon's midfields. You need to understand that it's only at our club where stats are used to value performance. The Greenwood dig at Roo wasn't a joke sledge, he shined a light on a genuine club philosophy.

Improvement with experience isn't something that's isolated to our list. The problem is, all of the other high calibre midfield talents in the league will also improve.

We haven't put enough resource into the midfield in our rebuild. It's not good enough now, and I doubt it has the makings of a premiership midfield ever. We don't have a 'this guy will be one of the top 5 players in the game' type mid on the list.

the midfield has been demonstrably worse following Sloane's return into it. Not saying he's the cause, but him being seen as a viable stoppage mid means we've got big problems in there. Laird has been injured the last few weeks as well. Dawson, Pedlar, Soligo and Rachele belong in an elite midfield rotation I reckon. But we're short the 2 pieces that you build around. Rankine may be the best small forward of the next decade, but if he doesn't transition to A grade mid then we're fools for paying 5 for him.

As some one has said, we have ok building blocks but the depth and variety is just not there.

It's like we have a binary midfield. Either our system works or it doesn't.

I don't think this is actually good enough in three modern game. Sure I understand you need to have confidence in your system, but you must have alternatives you can throw at the opposition for situations where you need to change the game.

Hoping things just magically turn around seems to be what we do.

other way around. Our building blocks are actually our depth. What we're short is the Petracca/Oliver that sits atop our existing crew.

Roughly how many elite talents are currently in the league in your opinion?

Just getting an idea how strict your criteria is

Reckon it's easier to compare against who we think qualify as our past elite players. So compare to guys like Danger, Macca, Roo and Goodwin. Players like Thommo and Laird are elite accumulators, but theyre not elite midfielders. Dawson and Rankine are the only players that I'm confident can be elite midfielders. I think Rachele and Pedlar are capable though. Tank capacity or appetite to build it can be a limiting factor though, hopefully those 2 kids have it.

Last edited:

Dawson is an easy target right now because no one else can do what he does for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the crashing to earth both Berry and Schoenberg did this year after showing some real potential it does make me weary on what we'll end up doing to guys like Pedlar and Rachele.

Something stinky going on at the moment, not sure if it's VB or what.
2-3 years ago folks here were blaming Godden. VB's been copping a fair of heat since he took over the midfield as well.

Maybe the mids on our list just aren't smart, strong, fit or skilled enough

Berry and Schoenberg will find form and selection, or they'll be overtaken as new players are added to the list

I'm not concerned by Soligo, Rachele and Pedlar. They will all play 200 plus games for us and likely end up A grade mids.
Will any end up elite?
I'm hoping Rachele and Pedlar can become top grade, yes.
Getting another A grade mid through trade should be a priority though.

Would love Callaghan.
If ONE ends up an A grade midfielder, then I’d be happy.

With the crashing to earth both Berry and Schoenberg did this year after showing some real potential it does make me weary on what we'll end up doing to guys like Pedlar and Rachele.

The proven not up to AFL level bloke is still heavily involved in our midfielder development. VB is a turd of a coach without doubt. But there's got to be more to individual regression than just a bad midfield coach.

Or its the ordinary course of non-elite players. They debut, people don't worry about faults and get excited by the highlights. Over time that wears thin. Not every player is capable of the growth necessary to become elite.

Or its the ordinary course of non-elite players. They debut, people don't worry about faults and get excited by the highlights. Over time that wears thin. Not every player is capable of the growth necessary to become elite.

We see it regularly with our latest ball magnets selected in the 3rd and 4th rounds of the draft. We've got an u18 watcher that if you believed every post of his then 95% of players in the league would be elite. But, but, but Rory Sloane was 44 and Laird a rookie. Yep, and neither have ever been or will ever be elite mids.

We see it regularly with our latest ball magnets selected in the 3rd and 4th rounds of the draft. We've got an u18 watcher that if you believed every post of his then 95% of players in the league would be elite. But, but, but Rory Sloane was 44 and Laird a rookie. Yep, and neither have ever been or will ever be elite mids.
Well, Rachele was pick 6 and Pedlar was pick 11.......

I took it as a reference to Dawson...

Dawson is the opposite, I reckon I even posted recently something along the lines that 20 from him is of more benefit than 40 from Laird. The majority of value deemed from disposals of our Laird/Sloane types is that the oppo didn't get the ball. They were better earlier, but in recent times they've added very little to our attacking output. It's back to being the old hackforwardathon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back