Roast How diabolical is our midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rachele is worth less uncontracted than what we paid for him. Nobody pays 6 for a small forward, you pay only that for elite mids. Remember when you soiled your panties getting a mid first and a mid second for Danger?
We did for Rankine. He was worth a pick around 20-25.

Pick 20 lol. He was around pick 10 and how supporters have quickly forgot what he did early in the season.
This old chestnut. Starting pick doesn't matter, it's irrelevant. Dawson went in the 40's from memory and we stole Sydney's lunch money to steal Dwayne's favourite one liner. Dawson was worth two firsts for what we got.

Keays and Sloane both shouldn't be in our midfield. Sloane needs a good rest for 2-3weeks. I reckon this is his final year so it's best to send him out with some good performances 2nd half of the year. I think the major problem with our midfield lately is that Dawson has been down some games. Laird has been injured as well and not at his best. The rest of our midfield is young but give them another 50 games and we will be in better shape. We do need to recruit another big bodied ball user that can also win it. Maybe we are going after Parish.

I think Sloane can be a positive contributor. But not as a stoppage mid for his entire TOG. He's an embarrassment when on ground prior to half time. NFI why we've decided that he's critical to success as a mid. Just stupidity from the coaching group. And we're about a month into this idiocy, but no certainty that they'll work ot out. They're somewhat dumb.

And nor should it be 23 games into his career...
I think the concern I see with Rachele is his lack of wanting physical contact. It's just something I don't like seeing in a young player but he has plenty of time to turn that around.

I think Sloane can be a positive contributor. But not as a stoppage mid for his entire TOG. He's an embarrassment when on ground prior to half time. NFI why we've decided that he's critical to success as a mid. Just stupidity from the coaching group. And we're about a month into this idiocy, but no certainty that they'll work ot out. They're somewhat dumb.
Nicks isn't a lateral thinker and same with VB. The others I don't know much about.

Better than Keays I guess. I never watch him tbh but he's the player I hear being brought up that we might be into. He's never really caught my eye in Essendon games. We need to be bringing someone in as our midfield is up there as one of the worst going around.

Mids that progress the ball towards going hard forward are like gold. We have historically rejoiced in crabs based upon stats alone. We had a dynamic midfield group early, but we've now got Sloane running the show. Otherwise known as ''Mr sideways hack forward". VB and Nicks are not good coaches.

I think the concern I see with Rachele is his lack of wanting physical contact. It's just something I don't like seeing in a young player but he has plenty of time to turn that around.
I can deal with that. Seems he will be A grade in several other categories and there aren't many complete players out there.

Mids that progress the ball towards going hard forward are like gold. We have historically rejoiced in crabs based upon stats alone. We had a dynamic midfield group early, but we've now got Sloane running the show. Otherwise known as ''Mr sideways hack forward". VB and Nicks are not good coaches.
Walker should and will go on but not Sloane imo. I would like to see Nicks try something different. Maybe throw Muz in there to see what it looks like. Maybe a mobile ruck. Give Jones some rotations to see what he can do as well. The other thing they could try is to move Dawson wing or forward when having a quiet one.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rankine is a quality finisher but I expected more for what we gave up. He must finish off the goals where he is running at the goal from 50 out. He's done it twice now. I also want to see him get more involved in general play. We basically need more from him.

forget that, if Rankine doesn't become a Lachy Neale level mid then we've overpaid. Lachie was traded for 6 plus upgrades, nobody with a clue trades 5 for a small forward.

This old chestnut. Starting pick doesn't matter, it's irrelevant. Dawson went in the 40's from memory and we stole Sydney's lunch money to steal Dwayne's favourite one liner. Dawson was worth two firsts for what we got.
Dawson is worth 2 1st rounder now but then he was worth a 1st rounder which we got them.

Sloane is nearly 34. Most players are done by 30-31. Sloane was never going to be the answer to our midfield woes. The fact he is playing in there shows how bad our list management and recruiting has been for mids. That's pretty damning with some of the best picks the club has ever had over the last 5 years. The draft that really stands out is the rozee and butters draft. Add them into our midfield and we are a completely different team. Add Serong in there as well and we are competing for flags.

Disagree, Sloane being a pure mid again is not a list management position error, it's a selection philosophy problem. He's giving us nothing over 4 quarters, but we can't resist his experience. That's why we're destined to not win a flag with this coaching crew or overarching club overlords.

Disagree, Sloane being a pure mid again is not a list management position error, it's a selection philosophy problem. He's giving us nothing over 4 quarters, but we can't resist his experience. That's why we're destined to not win a flag with this coaching crew or overarching club overlords.
What I meant was that if we had picked up some better mids such as Serong and Rozee they couldn't possibly play Sloane in there. Because our young mid stocks are so bad they are turning to experience which is shot. Sloane can give you a couple of good games but he needs a rest every 3 or 4 games.

Last edited:
His game is based on agility and speed, so if he's playing well there will be minimal physical contact.

With his skillset he should not be in there hunting the contact, that's a waste of his talents.

No other elite qualities is what I was suggesting.
You didn't noticed his elite field kicking and composure in tight contest playing as a midfielder for the first 4 weeks? This is what made everyone who question whether Rachele can transition into the midfield change their mind lol.

You didn't noticed his elite field kicking and composure in tight contest playing as a midfielder for the first 4 weeks? This is what made everyone who question whether Rachele can transition into the midfield change their mind lol.
You do realise the OP admitted earlier this year he does NOT actually watch most of our games...

Last edited:
Saw a quote re ‘wouldn’t get a game in Melbourne midfield ‘

Need to remember Tom Sparrow has been the 4th or 5th mid at melb all year yet no one on here is very keen on getting him to our club when I brought it up

We lost bad so there’s some reaction , overall our midfield is tracking slightly better than alot would expect thanks to some promising signs from Soligo , Rachele and recently Pedlar but mainly also the move of Dawson to mid

Yes we still need more parts and another real A grader and are a fair way off a team like the bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast How diabolical is our midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back