Analysis How did we go to GF to this garbage in less than 3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Letting Charlie leave with a year to run on his contract was our biggest mistake. We had to find away to convince him to stay. We could've built a team around him in this rebuild. Now we are slow and rudderless, our drafting is terrible and our coach looks lost already. We are at the lowest point this club has been.
We need to fix our culture and admin before we try and "convince" players to stay. We need a club where players want to stay/come here. Unfortunately we're a long way from that right now.

The time for taking stock was halfway through 2018. There is no excuse for not doing so at that point. Zero.

Anybody with a quarter of a brain and the club’s best interests at heart would’ve been horrified by what they saw at that Burton/Pyke press conference. The writing was on the wall in bold, capital letters. Anybody at the club not taking stock at that point does not have a high enough IQ to be working at a football club, or really to be doing anything.

Did we take stock? No, we did the opposite. Nobody was even so much as embarrassed by that press conference and what it said about the AFC. We patted ourselves on the back and doubled down for another 12 months at least.

Every single individual on that board who has not been elected by members should stand down. I’ll let Mark Ricciuto off the hook because he responded to a call in one of the club’s (previous) darkest hours.

The rest of the non-elected members on that board are unpresentative swill. They’re maggots who have presided over the demise of a football club and not a single one of them is accountable.
You say all the right things but you CANNOT let Roo off the hook here. All the goodwill he had from appointing Walsh has well and truly gone

He holds the true supporters in contempt with the "if you don't like it, go support someone else" line. He thinks a champion of a club is annoying and thought his mate birdbrain was doing a great job.

Unlike most of the other board members he actually holds power, and he's done **** all with it.

You say all the right things but you CANNOT let Roo off the hook here. All the goodwill he had from appointing Walsh has well and truly gone

He holds the true supporters in contempt with the "if you don't like it, go support someone else" line. He thinks a champion of a club is annoying and thought his mate birdbrain was doing a great job.

Unlike most of the other board members he actually holds power, and he's done **** all with it.

Two things.

First, the members wanted him there. They might not anymore, but he did start out as member-elected. We shouldn’t forget that.

Second, as the football director he is actually the only board member who has been made accountable for 2018 and 2019. The review was of the football department. Nothing else. So he is the most accountable person on that board. The rest of the unelected members are faceless vermin.

Two things.

First, the members wanted him there. They might not anymore, but he did start out as member-elected. We shouldn’t forget that.

Second, as the football director he is actually the only board member who has been made accountable for 2018 and 2019. The review was of the football department. Nothing else. So he is the most accountable person on that board. The rest of the unelected members are faceless vermin.
The members wanted him there 6 years ago, but his last 3 years have thrown that away.

And has he actually been held accountable ?? He's made several decisions that have been to the detriment of the club and he's still there. He's the guy who kept the failures in the job. He didn't want the review, it was forced upon him and he was spared any responsibility.

I just look at our clubs history
1993 prelim
1997-98 premiers
2002 prelim
2005-06 prelim
2012 prelim
2017 gf
So we have Given ourselves a chance generally every 5 or so years.

Underachieved way too much since the flags and it has finally taken the toll on this club and not to mention 2016 that was a very good team until it choked in round 23. Not sure if we will be condenders in 2022, need to be patient. I would not be surprised if it took an entire decade.

Pyke unfairly pushed out, coached as well as anyone could with that list

Nah, he was too stubborn. Didnt give the youngsters a crack, kept selecting the Good Ole Boys despite poor form.

But I can see why you guys would think he was great (compared to Kenny).

We all hope you keep Kenny for another 10 years too.

Underachieved way too much since the flags and it has finally taken the toll on this club and not to mention 2016 that was a very good team until it choked in round 23. Not sure if we will be condenders in 2022, need to be patient. I would not be surprised if it took an entire decade.
We had our chance to snag at least 1 or 2 flag after our last premiership but weren't good enough to take those opportunity and also had some bad luck. I think the rebuild will take another 2-3 years longer than the usual 6 years as we were supposedly still meant to be contenders for another 2-3 years after 2017 and we all know what happened resulting in the clean out of players last season.

Last edited:
In 05/06 we had the miss but lacked the forwards, 17 was the opposite.

2012 was the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better than Gibbs
Gibbs has finished top 5 in a BnF here and for much less money. Old Fatty won the Blues Eating Contest but that's it.

Did Eddie play yesterday ?? Didn't see him.

In 05/06 we had the miss but lacked the forwards, 17 was the opposite.

2012 was the year

I agree. I think we could have won it all in 2012 if the siren in the preliminary final sounded 5 minutes earlier. I still think that was our best season post 1997 1998. That team played with so much heart, for sure we would have learned from that QF vs Sydney if we met them in a GF and taken it right up to them.

I agree. I think we could have won it all in 2012 if the siren in the preliminary final sounded 5 minutes earlier. I still think that was our best season post 1997 1998. That team played with so much heart, for sure we would have learned from that QF vs Sydney if we met them in a GF and taken it right up to them.
Losing at home to Sydney when we had a fairly good record against them was unforgivable.

Gibbs has finished top 5 in a BnF here and for much less money. Old Fatty won the Blues Eating Contest but that's it.

Did Eddie play yesterday ?? Didn't see him.

You probably won't see him again if treated the same as mcloud.

Seriously though Reid has ruined your club, missing on Gibbs then overpaying, being too stupid to downgrade your first which would have got you mccasy and a free second round pick

The list is endless and clear to everyone outside of AFC

You probably won't see him again if treated the same as mcloud.

Seriously though Reid has ruined your club, missing on Gibbs then overpaying, being too stupid to downgrade your first which would have got you mccasy and a free second round pick

The list is endless and clear to everyone outside of AFC
Oh dear, you'd have thought you were embarassed by your performance yesterday to bother showing up here.

SOS has done more damage to your club than Reid will ever do.

Just bringing over a few posts from other threads I thought quite relevant here...

From v Port Power autopsy thread

It’s showing that the majority of the team in the 17 GF are broken.
A few of us on here said, you dont recover quickly from being embarrassed in a GF.
Port took about 8 years to recover from their humiliation?
It’s not just the humiliation. The Phil Walsh things still hung around. We rode the emotion to a GF playing some of the best footy seen in recent years to get there. Remember some saying we were unbeatable at the start of that season.

After the loss (at quarter time really) the crash and come down started.

And it won’t go away until all the key players are gone. Fagan. Chapman. Roo. Walker.

At least Walker has stepped down as Captain but I think the time is coming to release him. His personality is too big a distraction and let’s be honest - he’s never even had a AA gig. It’s just not worth it.
It's also the camp and the questioning of mental strength. I reckon that did much more damage than being humiliated in a grand final and was the beginning of the end for this group.
I didn’t mention the camp as I assumed everyone is sick of hearing about it, and incredibly many on here think it was overblown.

You are absolutely correct, it has had a massive and irreversible affect in combination with the GF loss.
Yes. In some cases it was overblown. It can also be pinpointed as the beginning of the end as it destroyed the trust between players and coaches (thinking our mutiny when collective minds came back in Alice Springs, as well as finally, us downing tools in the second half of the season). It deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as the grand final loss when we're tracing how we got from having one of the more talented sides out there and set for 4-5 years of contesting for the premiership to being the equivalent of Melbourne, Saints and Gold Coast now.

I liked Nick's presser. I don't think he's going to tolerate a lack of work rate and anything less than full commitment at the contest. That said, he has limited options at the moment, which may result in us being stuck with a few who perhaps don't deserve to be there. Selection will be interesting.

Our senior blokes played like a group who know they're never going to play in a flag team with Adelaide. They lacked tenacity and desire, they didn't stick tackles, they didn't run to position, they didn't work defensively. These guys have a choice to make. They either accept their legacy of missed opportunities and fade into retirement, or they commit to ensuring the next crop have every opportunity, and lead from the front. Sadly, aside from Sloane and Talia, I don't think this group has it in them to play to their best under those circumstances.

So, having missed so many opportunities at the draft through conservative actions and overrating our list, here we are. A list overflowing with half assed mid fielders, failed talls and an abundance of medium defenders. We have a couple of good small forwards, one key forward, a couple of likely KPPs, a plethora of young mid defenders and some speculative mids. There's no trading out of this mess. We don't even have much currency to trade for picks. The Crouches are going to lose value faster than Wall Street during a pandemic. It's a mess.

It's a mess. I hope the AFC has the balls to be aggressive at selection and aggressive at the draft and trade table. Otherwise I fear we're in for a long uphill battle, and the club will find out what it's like to not have "customers" on tap.

From v GC autopsy thread

Lot of senior player need to go. Start with Walker. A witch's hat would be more productive. I can't understand why a team that made a GF can degenerate the way ours has in 3 short years. We should be still contending. Something stinks at the AFC. Maybe one day we'll find out what. This is a senior playing group that don't play for the club that pays them.
We already know.

Kurt Tippett. 2 first and 2 second round draft picks in 2012 and 2013. We also got nothing for Tippett. A KPF who could kick a goal, take a contested mark and was serviceable in the ruck. Offered a contract in excess of $800K. Surely he was worth at least a first and second round draft pick in the 2012 draft.

6 players who'd be 26-27 now. We also lost Bernie Vince to get back into the draft. Matt Crouch could potentially have been taken with our second round pick in 2013.

4 coaches, 5 if you include Camporeale and 6 if you include Bickley, since Neil Craig left mid 2011. Less than 8 years.

The deaths of both Dean Bailey and Phil Walsh. The 12 sanction given to Bailey for Melbourne tanking. Which incidentally was a sanction that should've been given to Cameron Schwab. Unfortunately, Schwab was the signatory to Melbournes poker machines and the AFL was panicking that if Schwab was sanctioned, Melbourne may have their licences revoked. Melbourne was barely financial at the time and the AFL had been tipping bucket loads of cash into the club at the time.

Brett Burton, which resulted in the loss of Poulos and Bode. Burton elevated to GM of Football only to introduce the club to KangaTech lite, resulting in plethora of soft tissue injuries. Also introducing Collective Minds and the cluster fu** that caused and the resulting fall out.

A current coaching panel with a rookie coach and a group bereft of experience and seemingly talent. That's without taking into account assistants like Teague, Francou or Tate Kaesler. Ben Hart, the only coach with a degree of experience is currently suspended for the CoVid breach.

David Noble head hunted by the AFL to assist with the rebuild of Brisbane.

In fact the only place that's there's been any stability in that time period is on the board.

The club desperately needs some stability in senior roles in the football department. A new coaching panel, probably with the exception of Nicks. A decent development coach/s considering the volume of youth we already have and will be drafting over the next couple of years.

A new training and administration base.

All of that without taking into consideration the players we've developed and lost over the last 5 years. Our list would look a lot different if we added players lost through the Tippett sanctions, and include Cameron, Dangerfield, Lever, McGovern. It's doubtful either Greenwood or Keath would've been drafted. A couple of players the club spent 4 years developing only to let them go for SFA.

There's probably plenty more.

Last edited:

True, I don't think we would have butchered our chances inside 50 like we did in the QF. We had 22 more inside 50s and still lost by 29 points :sick:.
Meanwhile in the PF we had 26 less inside 50s and only lost by 5 points, if we had similar inside 50 dominance from the QF but the efficiency from the PF we would have more than likely won the GF. But then Sydney did proceed to continually thrash us for the next few years, so maybe not.
2012 was a great year. My favourite being a younger Crow supporter.

We were lucky in 2017, performed better in 2016 and finished 7th

it was a mirage
I don't remember the H&A season of 2016 that clearly (but that Doggies final was the greatest Crows game I've ever attended) but I thought we were amazing to watch in 2017. The way we could just put on a huge score week in week out was awesome to watch. Finished on top of the ladder (by percentage) and then won both our qualifying and prelim with ease.

2017 was our season, we were the team to beat but we didn't arrive when it mattered most.

Well at least we're not getting another Sando style spike.
It's still very early but the one concern here is we're not really seeing anyone new show anything yet. Typically you get a few guys come out and play really well for a new coach but we're yet to see that - We've only played two games with a couple of months inbetween them but some of the changes we've seen like Smith/Seedsman/Jones getting midfield minutes has seen no return whatsoever.

Hard for many to look good when we've hardly controlled the ball compared to the opposition but I hope in the next few weeks we might see a few guys show some improvement playing under Nicks as it hasn't shown itself yet.

Nah, he was too stubborn. Didnt give the youngsters a crack, kept selecting the Good Ole Boys despite poor form.

But I can see why you guys would think he was great (compared to Kenny).

We all hope you keep Kenny for another 10 years too.

Pyke didn't have a selection of AFL ready kids to pick from, let's be honest. His cupboard was bare. Nicks at the moment is playing your kids and they're clearly not AFL standard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis How did we go to GF to this garbage in less than 3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back