How do Victorians feel when an interstate team wins the Premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing that has irritated me over the years is the media narrative of "Oh, get behind the Victorian team!".

As though people should be obligated to get behind a team just because they're Victorian.

For example when Sydney and West Coast played in those Grand Finals there was a huge narrative of "Get behind old South Melbourne/Bloods etc". I supported West Coast in those games - nothing to do with disliking the Swans, just preferred the West Coast team to win as they were a more attacking and exciting team than the Swans at the time. Couldn't have cared less that Sydney/South Melbourne have Victorian heritage or that they are an older club than the Eagles.

If people want to support a neutral team because they like them or they haven't won a GF for a long time or for whatever reason I don't have a problem with it, but supporting them just because they're from the same state? Lame.
It's an odd concept, isn't it.

Hey you- that bitter rival of yours is in the grand final against an interstate team. Get behind them and help them win?

I didn't support Fremantle on their grand final run (although I did go down to freo and enjoy the atmosphere and some crepes) - they are our cross town rivals. I couldn't think of anything worse, even if they are a West Australian team.

It's an odd concept, isn't it.

Hey you- that bitter rival of yours is in the grand final against an interstate team. Get behind them and help them win?

I didn't support Fremantle on their grand final run (although I did go down to freo and enjoy the atmosphere and some crepes) - they are our cross town rivals. I couldn't think of anything worse, even if they are a West Australian team.
I can't imagine a Crows fan hoping for a different result in 2007.

The thing that has irritated me over the years is the media narrative of "Oh, get behind the Victorian team!".

As though people should be obligated to get behind a team just because they're Victorian.

For example when Sydney and West Coast played in those Grand Finals there was a huge narrative of "Get behind old South Melbourne/Bloods etc". I supported West Coast in those games - nothing to do with disliking the Swans, just preferred the West Coast team to win as they were a more attacking and exciting team than the Swans at the time. Couldn't have cared less that Sydney/South Melbourne have Victorian heritage or that they are an older club than the Eagles.

If people want to support a neutral team because they like them or they haven't won a GF for a long time or for whatever reason I don't have a problem with it, but supporting them just because they're from the same state? Lame.
Come and spend a little time in Perth mate.

I'd rather an interstate team win it than any other Vic team than Richmond. My rivalry is with Vic teams and their supporters.

I don't like it cause they aren't North....

From an impartial standpoint, I don't give a toss, it's a country wide comp, why would I take issue with a non Victorian team winning?

I've wondered how Victorians felt when Sydney or Brisbane win premierships. A lot of Canadians don't like it when a team from southern United States wins the Stanley Cup, because ice hockey is not very popular down there. Do Victorians feel something similar?
We don't like it at all.
We tend to sook it right up and then search for reasons why they don't deserve their premierships, like blaming COLA for example,or complaining Sydney have Buddy
Some of us are even in early preparation just in case GWS also happen to win the premiership and have begun sooking it up because they were given draft picks to select players to start their new club.
Any club winning the premiership from outside Victoria doesn't tend to go down very well really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've wondered how Victorians felt when Sydney or Brisbane win premierships. A lot of Canadians don't like it when a team from southern United States wins the Stanley Cup, because ice hockey is not very popular down there. Do Victorians feel something similar?
If my team can't win it I much rather one of those teams wins it as they don't have any supporters to throw it in your face.

Fantastic for the competition. Even better when the old rule used to exist that one preliminary Final had to be played at the MCG and Eddie went blue in the face arguing the fact, and an interstate club travelled and won easily.

I'd love to see Adelaide win it this year, genuinely good side. Sydney having success was great, great for the old South Melbourne contingent and obviously Brisbane for Fitzroy.

images

When brisbane first won it changed it all for me.

1991 GF I went for the hawks, '92 was gutting. 1994 was easier but i was filthy with the one sidedness. 1997 i was throwing stuff at the telly in the last quarter. 1998 doesn't really count because "the kangaroos" would probably be relocating anyway.

The amount of brand new lions scarves getting around in '01 was ridiculous. And for people to turn around the next year and implore we all barrack for collingwood was laughable.

There's always going to be resentment toward northern state fans not understanding the game and its rules, but oppo victorian clubs can GAGF and I hope they fold. Except Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

How do Victorians feel when an interstate team wins the Premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back