How do Victorians feel when an interstate team wins the Premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm from WA and I like two Victorian teams in a GF personally. St Kilda v Collingwood, Hawks Cats, Cats Saints that's what it is about! Interstate v Vic is boring usually. Only interstate GF's I'd be interested in would be Freo v Eagles or a showdown.

I've wondered how Victorians felt when Sydney or Brisbane win premierships. A lot of Canadians don't like it when a team from southern United States wins the Stanley Cup, because ice hockey is not very popular down there. Do Victorians feel something similar?

As a huge fan of the Leafs, I'd much rather see the Canes, Ducks or Panthers win the Cup than the hated Red Wings or arrogant Canadiens.

I've wondered how Victorians felt when Sydney or Brisbane win premierships. A lot of Canadians don't like it when a team from southern United States wins the Stanley Cup, because ice hockey is not very popular down there. Do Victorians feel something similar?

I feel absolutely nothing.

Why do non-Vics think we are all anti-interstate and hate every single team and player from outside our state, and why do said non-Vics see interstate premierships as a big f*** you to Victoria? None of us give a **** about any team unless it's our own.
Well I don't know but I can say, having grown up in Sydney with parents from Melbourne, that some Melbourne folk are obsessed with Sydney but most Sydneysiders don't give a toss about any other city. Not me, I really like both cities and like to think I understand a little of what makes both of them tick.

You don't see it so much now in the internet age, but in the old days, Melbourne papers carried plenty of Sydney news but not the other way around.

All good
We respect your clubs ability to win the loyalty of fans regardless of success on the field, and your rightful place in the AFL.

We just hope one day you'll grow as a person and acknowlege ours.
Once the original group go through, and you have to rebuild like all of us, I'll happily hate/respect you as much as any other club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a football follower, I like watching any team win a flag from a level playing field. Watching a welfare club win a flag is a bit 'meh' and feels a bit like an AFL tax.

For me it really depends who's playing. I would rather have a Victorian Team win the flag if there playing an opposition from interstate.
I will throw my support behind the Victorian Finalists. (even if there not my team )
To say I dislike a side like say, Sydney is an understatement.

It's an odd concept, isn't it.

Hey you- that bitter rival of yours is in the grand final against an interstate team. Get behind them and help them win?

I didn't support Fremantle on their grand final run (although I did go down to freo and enjoy the atmosphere and some crepes) - they are our cross town rivals. I couldn't think of anything worse, even if they are a West Australian team.
I find it so strange, but know plenty of people in SA and WA who do this. Mostly older fans though. My parents are Crows fans and they hate Port. Until Port are playing someone else in a final, then they support them fully. I guess the oldies hold onto this state rivalry thing, where for me the AFL is strictly about teams, not states.

I remember back in the early days of the national comp there was still a 'foreigner' feel to footy, particularly when the Eagles began to challenge in the early 90s.

But honestly, it's long gone. Victorians don't tend to feel a dislike or resentment for teams from the north simply because they are NSW or QLD based. In Sydney's case in particular, I would suggest many Vics had a fondness for them due to being the relocated South Melbourne. In fact, I would suggest many Victorian supporters would rather a win from those sides over one of their Victorian rivals.

I would add a caveat though. Many Victorian fans, including myself, did begin to feel a strong resentment towards the clubs because of the concessions given them (particularly the COLA). With those concessions now (largely) gone, it's no longer an issue.

Swans still have SMFC on the back of their jumper and I know a few old South Melbourne Bloods fans so it's not that bad.
Brisbane were one of the most awesome outfits ever assembled and Fitzroy fans finally had reason to celebrate.

Interstate fans often discount just how intense a centuries-old rivalry is. I dare say (for example) a Carlton fan would rather see an interstate team win a flag over Collingwood.

I was barracking for the Swans (except for last year) and Lions in grand finals.
Will be different of course if Richmond played em,derrr.

Agree with Mofra.
That Lions team of the early noughties was incredible and fun to watch except in the 2001 final when we got pantsed.:(

The whole interstate rivalry is dead. id rather see Collingwood win the flag than Port. on the day you have a team youd rather see win it over another if your team isn't playing.

Not me, I really like both cities and like to think I understand a little of what makes both of them tick.

That pretty much sums it up for me. The only reason the Swans win in the GF stings more because a) it was against my own team and b) you got Buddy Franklin.

Seriously though, I really don't care who wins if it's not my side. I actually feel an element of happiness for the hardcore fans of any team that wins and an element of sadness for the hardcore fans of any team that loses.

Remove this Banner Ad

How do Victorians feel when an interstate team wins the Premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back