How far can North Melbourne go?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dry conditions in ethihad look a million dollars.

In the wet just shithouse
That's not really true. The damage was done in a 7-1 goal second quarter tonight when it dried up a bit. We also beat Sydney in the wet. We are just inconsistent, plain and simple. Got to have the largest gap between our good and bad displays out of anyone in the league this year.

Will struggle to make the 8 even with their run home.

BS will continue to reward players who don't perform, who go missing and put in 1 good game every few weeks, and come out with some excuse to stop the North members calls for change.

BS will also continue to refuse to accept the biggest issue with the playing group is him.

Their young players are extremely overrated, none of them are great.

Terrible leaders too, Petrie thinks leadership is kicking a few goals against bottom 4 teams then doing jack all the rest of the time

That's not really true. The damage was done in a 7-1 goal second quarter tonight when it dried up a bit. We also beat Sydney in the wet. We are just inconsistent, plain and simple. Got to have the largest gap between our good and bad displays out of anyone in the league this year.
Yeah I reckon we can give you a run for your money on that gap shit! Cheers,

What a strange team, in some respects I fear them because I am almost certain they can thrash Geelong on their day but then I expect to drop games like that one last night.

Bottom half of the 8 seems about right, could win one final, not two.

Very mediocre younger brigade with the likes of Ziebell, Cunnington, Black, Batsanic extremely overrated.

Given the age of Boomer, Petrie, Wells, Swallow, Dal Santo and Thompson you have to wonder where they are going in a list management/premiership clock capacity.

Very mediocre younger brigade with the likes of Ziebell, Cunnington, Black, Batsanic extremely overrated.

Given the age of Boomer, Petrie, Wells, Swallow, Dal Santo and Thompson you have to wonder where they are going in a list management/premiership clock capacity.

They probably thought they had a chance of top 4 given their draw, and to be fair when you look at who they've beaten this year it's not an outlandish thought.

The issue has been the lack of effort/brain fades/whatever else has cost them games against teams towards the middle or bottom of the ladder.

There is a possibility that they could miss out altogether if they produce what they did last night. Having a look at their run home, it is fairly simple for a team that is consistent and we no that North is definitely not.

Hawthorn ES
St Kilda BA
Carlton ES
Geelong ES
GWS SKODA
Bulldogs ES
Adelaide BA
Melbourne ES

Judging by last night, there are many danger games in here. I wouldn't lock them in against Bulldogs, Adelaide, Carlton and Melbourne.

Assuming that you need 13 wins to make it, they need to win 5 more games. Say they beat GWS and St Kilda, that is 3 more games. Lose to 2 of those 4 as well as Hawthorn and Geelong and it is just about finished for them. I do however expect them to beat Geelong and Melbourne due to their recent records.

I'll compare that to Gold Coast, Essendon and Adelaide

Gold Coast

Collingwood MS
Bulldogs CSB
Brisbane G
St Kilda MS
Carlton ES
Port MS
Essendon ES
West Coast MS

Essendon

Port AO
Collingwood MCG
Bulldogs ES
Sydney SCG
Richmond MCG
West Coast ES
Gold Coast ES
Carlton MCG

Adelaide

Port AO
GWS SKODA
Hawthorn AO
Collingwood MCG
West Coast AO
Brisbane G
Richmond AO
North BA
St Kilda AO

Looking at the run home, Norths position isn't exactly guaranteed. The only thing on their side is that those teams around them are inconsistent as well. Would think that North and Gold Coast will get through.

Being a bit harsh , Young players are alright, will make finals, Most of the young players have shown that they can play, Right now however its a combination of Harvey/Thomas/Swallow/Thompson/Dal Santo doing the brunt work in the past few weeks

The only problem is if they serve up that crap like they did against Brisbane they'll find themselves on the end of a 12 goal to nothing quarter rather then a spirited Brisbane comeback against any team which can move the ball through the corridor, Im sure North fans should shutter what the results would of been if hawthorn/Port were on the rebound with the sort of pressure applied

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's easy to say that they won't get far in finals, and I would probably agree. But I bet that the losing teams from the QFs would want anyone but North in week two of the finals.

Yeah I am sure they would rather play finals hardened teams like Geelong and Collingwood from the bottom part of the 8 wouldn't they.

Yeah I am sure they would rather play finals hardened teams like Geelong and Collingwood from the bottom part of the 8 wouldn't they.

Yep, maybe they would. Hawthorn own collingwood so might be happier with that match-up. Sydney probably pretty happy if they get Geelong at SCG.

The gameplan is orientated towards preparation rather than chemistry and desire. Scott prepares the side like he's just built a Ferrari out of Datsun parts and sits back with a shocked look on his face when it falls apart at 150 k's.

The side has been put together with a bunch of sliders, rookies, triers, actors, dwarfs and the club expects a sports science mouth piece to bring the best out of them. To a degree he has, but fails badly with the chemistry of this mongrel side.

Among the many problems that North has, the glaring obvious cause of the inconsistency is in the forward half of the ground.

Seems they will never learn that Lindsay Thomas is a curse and all the arm waving, clogging of space and attempted tackles is the main issue in choking the forward line. He's a dumb crumber and 3-4 long bombs to his stupid presenting late in games is often the difference in the close ones.

Unfortunately the chemistry of this seems a mystery to Scott and the side will continue to be twilight zone freak show of mediocrity and roller coaster rides.

There will be no magic transformation over time that brings consistency.

They are wasting the time of many.

I would like to see Brad Scott give the players a good spray because that wasn't good enough.
I do agree with the coach that top 4 is fantasy land stuff, will be lucky to remain in the top 8.

I would like to see Brad Scott give the players a good spray because that wasn't good enough.
I do agree with the coach that top 4 is fantasy land stuff, will be lucky to remain in the top 8.
It's almost always the same story when we lose this year. The players seem lazy : unwilling to create leads/options, to chase, tackle, shepherd, etc. The coach seems to sit back hoping that Plan A will somehow work, even as he watches it not working.

Very frustrating to watch.

List is going nowhere.

Desperately needs an injection of class/speed in the midfield as when Harvey and Dal Santo go it will be Wells and that's about it and even more needs a key forward. Petrie is finished and Black is a flanker. Ben Brown, Tarrant and Daw as the future forward line is very concerning.

I'm not sure Ziebell, Cunnington, Swallow and Greenwood can all be in the same side in a top 4 teams. And it's near impossible to win a flag without a good key forward unless you have an amazing midfield and backline (see West Coast 2006).

A lot of talk is about North being up and down. But I think it's mainly because the team is just really middle of the road average. So if they don't beat you at the stoppages and beat you win work rate and running they won't outscore you.

If I was a North supporter I'd be keen to see the club make a trade up in the draft to get a highly rated key forward (of which there is a few this year) and even try to get an extra second round pick and draft a bit more class for the midfield.

List is going nowhere.

Desperately needs an injection of class/speed in the midfield as when Harvey and Dal Santo go it will be Wells and that's about it and even more needs a key forward. Petrie is finished and Black is a flanker. Ben Brown, Tarrant and Daw as the future forward line is very concerning.

I'm not sure Ziebell, Cunnington, Swallow and Greenwood can all be in the same side in a top 4 teams. And it's near impossible to win a flag without a good key forward unless you have an amazing midfield and backline (see West Coast 2006).

A lot of talk is about North being up and down. But I think it's mainly because the team is just really middle of the road average. So if they don't beat you at the stoppages and beat you win work rate and running they won't outscore you.

If I was a North supporter I'd be keen to see the club make a trade up in the draft to get a highly rated key forward (of which there is a few this year) and even try to get an extra second round pick and draft a bit more class for the midfield.
North need to trade to get more then just the one first round draft. One of either the "star" young inside mids has to be traded for another first rounder so they can get a top end fast midfielder. That is equally as important as a KPF at this stage. I would have thought Ziebell or Cunnington would be the 2 main suspects up for question here. I have no doubt North fans will hate this. However I bet they will hate being average for the next 15 years even more (likely scenario).

North need to trade to get more then just the one first round draft. One of either the "star" young inside mids has to be traded for another first rounder so they can get a top end fast midfielder. That is equally as important as a KPF at this stage. I would have thought Ziebell or Cunnington would be the 2 main suspects up for question here. I have no doubt North fans will hate this. However I bet they will hate being average for the next 15 years even more (likely scenario).

Cunnington and Ziebell would be off the table, I'd think. Cunnington would definitely be after this season, anyway.

To get talent or high draft picks you need to give up something. Can you suggest someone else who would get you a first rounder?

I think Goldstein would. Black could, if the right club was shopping around. Aside from that, I struggle to see any others that would get us a first round draft pick.

I don't really care much after yesterday.

Probably won't make the finals and even if we do we will get smashed. Should focus on getting the team right and next season. Time to write this season off.

Remove this Banner Ad

How far can North Melbourne go?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back