Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that’s where you are wrong yet again, because QR coding doesn’t differentiate between someone who spent 30 seconds, 30 minutes or 3 hours in a venue. Yet they require all of them to isolate and get tested.

Which of those definitions would isolate someone from 30 seconds contact Eddie :$

They recommended everyone pay for a test if they can find it, I’m sure plenty of people would prefer the government’s free test.

They recommended everyone get a Rapid antigen test--- not a PCR test.

Do you not understand the difference between the two?

Which of those definitions would isolate someone from 30 seconds contact Eddie :$

They recommended everyone get a Rapid antigen test--- not a PCR test.

Do you not understand the difference between the two?

The one that requires You to test and isolate if you get a takeaway coffee…

The one that requires You to test and isolate if you get a takeaway coffee…
so propose your design/ solution
- if the issue is why is there no testing capacity, where are you finding health care workers willing to work weekend/ public holidays (it is Xmas ffs). Bear in mind that nurses make up a lot of testing staff which means nurses not working in hospitals (just like nurses giving vaccinations) and therefore less hospital capacity
- if the issue is excessive testing/ tracing, remember victoria is still mostly delta not omicron and there are a pesky 8% adults still not fully vaccinated who may overrun hospital system with widespread disease (equally a lot of them, at least in my area have already had the disease relatively recently)

I can't find that category on the list of contact categories. Care to tell me which on that gets classified under?
no I can see how it would occur - if you are going into the cafe to order and wait for and collect coffee, and you are in a queue where there is a person who is positive and you are there for 15 minutes you could well be identified as casual contact

Although I thought casual contact was going to go in the bin.

no I can see how it would occur - if you are going into the cafe to order and wait for and collect coffee, and you are in a queue where there is a person who is positive and you are there for 15 minutes you could well be identified as casual contact

I don't see "casual contact" on the list (HINT: Because they are gone and old mate doesn't know what he's talking about)

I don't see "casual contact" on the list (HINT: Because they are gone and old mate doesn't know what he's talking about)
maybe referencing something that had happened to him (ie triggered by personal experiences...)

maybe referencing something that had happened to him (ie triggered by personal experiences...)

I suspect he heard that it happened to an AFL footballer back in August (which did happen) and he's using it to build a narrative against the government to rant.

so propose your design/ solution
- if the issue is why is there no testing capacity, where are you finding health care workers willing to work weekend/ public holidays (it is Xmas ffs). Bear in mind that nurses make up a lot of testing staff which means nurses not working in hospitals (just like nurses giving vaccinations) and therefore less hospital capacity
- if the issue is excessive testing/ tracing, remember victoria is still mostly delta not omicron and there are a pesky 8% adults still not fully vaccinated who may overrun hospital system with widespread disease (equally a lot of them, at least in my area have already had the disease relatively recently)

Well they could offer them more money, given its $60 p/h normally to give vaccinations I’m sure you could find a few willing to give up some time on Xmas eve.

Or you could provide some RAT to people and accept the negative results to allow people to go free.

Brad Goodman had a good question as to what happens if you just ignore the request? Although given DHS is mostly putting all notifications etc into companies or sporting groups to notify now, maybe they don’t follow up or care?

No idea, but my 2 very recent isolation and tests as required by DHS suggests it’s still happening this month…

So let's ignore the Victorian Health website and openly discussed information from health officials to believe that you've been pinged for ordering take away coffee twice in a month.

IF this is true then I suggest you get in touch with a media outlet, as I'm sure they'd love to do a story about how the Department of Health is still isolating people for take away coffee (despite their own publications saying otherwise)

Well they could offer them more money, given its $60 p/h normally to give vaccinations I’m sure you could find a few willing to give up some time on Xmas eve.

Or you could provide some RAT to people and accept the negative results to allow people to go free.

Brad Goodman had a good question as to what happens if you just ignore the request? Although given DHS is mostly putting all notifications etc into companies or sporting groups to notify now, maybe they don’t follow up or care?
we have cut the vaccination rate payment (and about time too)
the downside of throwing more money is staff then kind of expect that this will be the case and then - dont turn up without the extra money being offered (its an issue with the casualisation of nursing workforce)
yes providing RAT is a good idea (no argument there)

i think if the request was ignored, you'd only realistically get caught if you later got symptoms/ sick and had to be tested (because you needed hospitalisation) and it could be demonstrated you went somewhere that was a superspreader type event. Given the now high background noise rate in both VIC and NSW I think your odds of not getting caught are reasonably good.

Flights cancelled due to airline staff isolating.

Some Restrictions back due to HCWs isolating.

Testing sites with huge waiting times / declining people.

Millions being spent by the government on a daily basis on people who aren’t sick to get a PCR test and isolate at home.

One CHO says Australia needs to let this variant run through. Another says we need to be conservative.

How long will it take to iron these out?

Omicron is clearly more contagious but milder - how long are we going to keep isolating people who have cold like symptoms or none at all? At some point, we are going to have hundreds of thousands of people isolating at home. At 90% + double vax, how on earth is this the way forward?
What does Albo say though? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would not be standing close to anyone in a queue. The places I go for coffee, people are keeping their distance and waiting outside after they've ordered. I've found most people are considerate.

the timeframes are likely being dictated by the laboratory in Melbourne that is receiving the samples for testing

I used to work with meat processors/renderers/abattoirs in your area, and their courier for samples would leave before lunch

this is because the driver would have to arrive in Melbourne before 4pm, as the sample processing and prep would need to be completed by 6-7pm. any later than that, and it couldnt be done in time

this is an issue, because you have a certain time limit on how long a sample can have between collection and processing (and if you wait till next morning you will be over 24 hours)

(i used to be in food export, and when our lab samples would be ready was one of our key bottlenecks, so you had to know pretty much exactly when everything would be cleared to make sure it could legally go on the vessel)

Im blaming the Victorian government for not providing sufficient capacity in their testing program to cater for their own demands.

I imagine these private companies are paid by the government to undertake the testing in their behalf. But then you probably still maintain the government wasn’t responsible for the private security they hired…

If the state government mandated you must have a booster shot to go visit your family at Christmas then shutdown it’d be a fair comparison…
Their own demands? The issue is that states like SA are so over capacity, they are no longer testing on arrival but requiring PCR tests before boarding.

You'd think maybe given their per capita caseload is higher than Victoria they'd stop doing this?

Regardless, testing is maxed out the country over. The system was designed to deal with COVID outbreaks with/without restrictions, but clearly not open travel at the busiest travel time of the year. And it's not the fault of the states, in the end, there are only so many pathology labs, RT-PCR machines, precursors and trained technicians within the country.

Last edited:
South Africa have officially scrapped quarantine for close contacts, stopped contact tracing and testing no longer required for asymptomatic people.
I'm not leaning to be quite that permissive given the mean age of their population.

For Australia we'd still sadly see a lot of elderly mortality without any controls to slow transmission.

Really, rapid testing is the answer for the workforce in high risk settings and it needs to be government funded. Going to cost the government far more than say 500mil-billion in lost productivity.

Their own demands? The issue is that states like SA are so over capacity, they are no longer testing on arrival but requiring PCR tests before boarding.

You'd think maybe given their per capita caseload is higher than Victoria they'd stop doing this?

Regardless, testing is maxed out the country over. The system was designed to deal with COVID outbreaks with/without restrictions, but clearny not open travel at the busiest travel time of the year. And it's not the fault of the states, on the end, there are only so many pathology labs, RT-PCR machines, precursors and trained technicians within the country.

Hurls when can/should we move to rapid testing for travellers interstate and to stop PCR testing close contacts with zero symptoms?

I'm not leaning to be quite that permissive given the mean age of their population.

For Australia we'd still sadly see a lot of elderly mortality without any controls to slow transmission.

Really, rapid testing is the answer for the workforce in high risk settings and it needs to be government funded. Going to cost the government far more than say 500mil-billion in lost productivity.

Shouldn’t we therefore put a huge focus on boostering 60+ year olds and those at most risk? Our current situation is not sustainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back