News "I feel stuffed" - Goldstein

Remove this Banner Ad

He needs to either get injured or play 10 bad games in a row. Seems like the only way to get dropped from our team at the moment.

Baffling when we have one of the best backup rucks in the league sitting in the maggo's.

Do we drop one of Taz, DIsh or Black or remove the tall spare deep in Lachie or go in with one less runner?

we should definetly rest goldy soon and give currie a go, i'm surprised it hasn't happened earliar

Geelong is managing its mini preseason for a run at a fourth flag. I wish we had that luxury.

Needs a rest. Last thing we want to do is ride him into the ground like Dockers have done with Sandi. Give Currie a go against Melbourne

Goldy looked like a different monster when Daw was in the lineup.

It's tough though because Black, Tarrant and Petrie look like one hell of a trio.

I think the problem is Dish into the ruck is about as competitive as Boomer would be in the ruck, we don't really have a proper second ruckman. We carry too many midfielders and our mids get a lot of rest compared to other teams.

I think we should play Goldy and either Daw/Currie and keep a midfielder in as the sub and give Goldy more time on the pine in the first half of a game. In the second half Goldy can play more of the quarters and if we need more run then we can sub a midfielder on.

I rather us have Daw go flat chat for a half and then sub him off and allow Goldy to have the legs coming home and we revert to more mids and more midfield run in the second half.

We do not rotate our mids like Swallow, Cunnington and Ziebell enough through the forward line, those guys are capable of kicking goals and they could soak up another 10-15% ToG resting forward. At present Adams is the 3rd small forward behind Boomer and Thomas but he has been ineffective either forward or in the middle.

Can't believe what I just read... Surely the coach should be listening to his players. The guy admits he is totally stuffed yet doesn't give him a chop out. Seriously wht good is this doing to the relationship between coach and player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's tough though because Black, Tarrant and Petrie look like one hell of a trio.

I think we can keep the three there, we should really look at the number of mids we play in the side, at present we could boot out a surplus mid or flanker and it really wouldn't hurt the team much structure wise.

I think having someone like Daw would also free us to give KPP more of a rest or if one goes down during the game we have someone who can fill some holes.

We are currently carrying a lot of mids who can't run out games entirely in the middle, especially playing the Brad (tm) style of footy so we need to be smarter about how we manage them, having them off the ground for a third of the game limits their ability to impact matches from the pine.

I think it is unfair to have 10 guys playing mid roles hover around around 70% ToG and expect Goldy to ruck 98% ToG against two or three ruckmen who will run him around the park all game.

This problem can be worked around by sitting Goldstein for 3-4 times a year

I am not sure if time off will help, there is only so much running you can do within the space of a match before you hit the wall.

Do we drop one of Taz, DIsh or Black or remove the tall spare deep in Lachie or go in with one less runner?

I agree with Taz ^^, we play another ruck and lose a mid (we have been carrying a few players anyway, doubt it would cause a ripple). Instead of mids getting so much time on the pine put them forward for larger parts of the game for a rest.

However way we work it though, it is really hurting both Goldstein quite obviously, and the team in second half of games when he has nowhere near the same level of influence without a legitimate back-up.

Most players are stuffed towards the end of games, it's the norm. He hasn't come out and specifically stated he is being run into the ground, but more reflecting on the fact he has only been rotated onto the bench 20 times this season.

However I do think we need to give
Goldy more of a break during the game. Even if he goes forward for 10 minutes and sits in the goal square in place of Drew. Goldy has looked dangerous up there, don't know why we haven't utilised that more.

As far as I am aware, this is Goldy's preferred position.
He didn't want to share the ruck duties with Hamish last season and believes he can do it alone.

Sounds like a selfish "it's all about me" type of bloke.

Not a team player.

Maby the bloke who started the thread about Goldy sulking when we picked up Currie was right after all.

I think the problem is Dish into the ruck is about as competitive as Boomer would be in the ruck, we don't really have a proper second ruckman. We carry too many midfielders and our mids get a lot of rest compared to other teams.

I think we should play Goldy and either Daw/Currie and keep a midfielder in as the sub and give Goldy more time on the pine in the first half of a game. In the second half Goldy can play more of the quarters and if we need more run then we can sub a midfielder on.

I rather us have Daw go flat chat for a half and then sub him off and allow Goldy to have the legs coming home and we revert to more mids and more midfield run in the second half.

We do not rotate our mids like Swallow, Cunnington and Ziebell enough through the forward line, those guys are capable of kicking goals and they could soak up another 10-15% ToG resting forward. At present Adams is the 3rd small forward behind Boomer and Thomas but he has been ineffective either forward or in the middle.

:thumbsu: ^^^^ good post, goldy has a bit of brads stubbornness and continues to want to do it all on his own, i like your scenario of adding daw/currie to the team and having a mid as sub, seems most of the top teams are using some kind of 2 ruck system, this makes complete sense to me, therefore i give it a snowflakes chance in hell of ever being trialled

Remove this Banner Ad

News "I feel stuffed" - Goldstein

Remove this Banner Ad

Back