News "I feel stuffed" - Goldstein

Remove this Banner Ad

Its his fault, when we played 2 ruckman he felt threatened and went to schit........Goldy needs to play as a forward but doesnt have the confidence to do so.......

Maybe, but the club shouldn't be playing him into the ground. Most players hate coming off in tight games, or being rested against weaker clubs etc, but the club makes it happen as its in their best interests.

We need to do the same with Goldstein. Secondly, Currie is not Hamish, and IMO as much as Goldstein was out of form, we started last year well with them both in the team so it may be we play better with two ruckman.

He must not play next week V Melbourne. Give him the week off to freshen up and play Currie.

End of the day Currie may also walk at years end - he is out of contract and if he is not going to get a game why would he stay?

Goldy over worked, Currie under utilised - this is not going to end well!!

It's pretty frustrating that we went and sourced our 'seconds superstar' in Currie, and have Daw as a more than servicable backup, and yet continue to play a burnt out Goldy. Disappointing. What's the point in having them on the list? Just in case he gets injured? Is that the only reason?

Goldy is his own worst enemy. He needs to learn to work in tandem with another ruckman so that the team can benefit.

We're better off with two average ruckmen who can work with each other, and rest in other positions around the ground, than we are with one burnt out ruckman who can tap the ball effectively for three quarters.

He can work in tandem with others and did so when Daw was in the side, the problem was Daw couldn't run out games with AFL level intensity. Goldy is just not good at a maximum of 50% ruck which was the problem we had with Monster, but I think about 85-90% ruck and 10-15% off the ground would be better for him.

But, even when we had Daw in we still didn't give Goldy much of a chopout.

Round 4 vs Brisbane, 97% ToG, Daw was KOed early and only had 13% ToG.
Round 5 vs Hawks, 93%, Daw 65%
Round 6 vs Port, 90%, Daw 63%
Round 7 vs Dogs, 98%, Daw 80%
Round 8 vs Eagles, 98%, Daw 50%
Round 9 vs Crows, 93%, Daw 49%

Daw was played predominately as a key forward and Goldy rucked almost as much as he did before/after Daw being in the side, we just didn't have Petrie ruck as much.

I wont use last week's stats because we were riddled with injuries, the week before we weren't so will use those. Our 3 key defenders (Hansen, Thompson and Grima) racked up 94%, 97% and 92% time on ground. Our 3 key forwards (Petrie, Tarrant and Black) racked up 100%, 82% and 89% ToG. Goldy racked up 98% ToG.

That leaves us with the rest, 15 mids and flankers including the sub which had Cunnington+McKenzie 70%, Gibson 79%, Bastinac 84%, Wells 77%, Atley 92%, Swallow 77%, Greenwood 82%, Ziebell 72%, Hine 92%, Harvey 85%, MacMillan 85%, Mullett 93%, Adams 70% and Firrito 91% which is an average of 82% ToG across the 14 other positions available.

We have a number of mids/flankers who pull way under that figure, in essence we have too many mids on the pine rotating, Adams didn't need to spend 30% of the game off the ground and many of the others have scope to rotate up forward but there is no scope to do that when it is also filled with runners so we have a lot of guys playing well under capacity. We basically had Cunnington and McKenzie, two players to soak up 70% time on ground.

We are carrying one too many mids/flankers. We don't need 3 mids on the bench at any given time all the time. Two plus a utility/ruckman will still give plenty of opportunity for rotations and give you another KPP/Ruckman to help with rotations for defenders, forwards and Goldy. We also have another midfielder as a sub to rotate out someone who is injured or spent, we are using the sub at present for rotation purposes only and it is a waste.

Lets say for example, Adams position was gone and was filled by Daw and he has spot on the bench instead of the starting team. That means one of the normally three surplus mids sitting on the pine is now up forward and we have to find say 70% ToG rotated through players spending a bit of time up forward instead of on the pine. Cunnington, Ziebell, Wells, Swallow, Gibson, etc all have way under normal midfielder numbers and could spend more time up forward which doesn't require as much running as midfield roles and would require less time on the bench.

Not sure that under the current management of players on match day we can carry another ruckman (i.e., leading the league in interchanges). I couldn't see us playing effectively a midfielder less.

It was great for Goldy when Maj was in the team but unfortunately for Majak he's behind Petrie, Black and Tarrant in the pecking order at the moment. I can't see us playing three tall forwards and two ruckmen in the same side... top heavy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In those list how do the Hawks and Cat's go? Tap ruckman are so overrated. Marks and goals are more important for the big fella. That's what he has to do.

hawks and cats have never had a dominate ruckman however there ruckman take marks and kicked goals around the ground. Goldy doesn't

Tap ruckman are important when you have an average midfield. Can bring them into the game more.

If you have jets all around the contest then no doubt it isn't as important, as better payers rove the opposition ruckman anyway. Plus Hawks have rotated three ruckman through so its no surprise they don't figure in the top 10.

Tap ruckman are important when you have an average midfield. Can bring them into the game more.

If you have jets all around the contest then no doubt it isn't as important, as better payers rove the opposition ruckman anyway. Plus Hawks have rotated three ruckman through so its no surprise they don't figure in the top 10.
Hale is at 84% TOG and is beating Goldie on Disposals, Marks and Goals but he's getting smashed in the hit outs.

Hale is at 84% TOG and is beating Goldie on Disposals, Marks and Goals but he's getting smashed in the hit outs.

Hale has shared hit-outs with Roughhead but especially Bailey (and some other young bloke early in the year) for hit outs.

It's no surprise Hale gets more of it around the ground, he isn't in the ruck nearly as often despite TOG.

I can't see us playing three tall forwards and two ruckmen in the same side... top heavy.

We are talking about the same side that has not used the sub effectively all year and is rubbish in the 2nd half and at the end of quarters.

My vote against Melbourne would be Daw as the sub. Goldy gets a chop out from Petrie in the first half and Daw comes on 20m into the 3rd probably for Tarrant.

Currie and Daw must be thinking WTF.

Brad is thinking "he'll be right, stick to the structures".

The rest of the AFL is laughing.

Eggs****inactly! I'm obviously not going tonight, and I'll be watching the cricket. For the first time in my 45 years on this earth I just don't give a ****!

Thanks Brad:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

News "I feel stuffed" - Goldstein

Remove this Banner Ad

Back