I want Cam Stokes in our finals team. Who will miss out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Stokes or ???

Haven't been around here much recently but have to say I'm very surprised that Ladson is being mentioned as a possible out. I would have thought he would be clearly in the top ten of the B&F and played one of his better games on Sunday.

Guerra also played one of his better games this week.

Unfortunately I think that Stokes and Renouf will have to wait for next year if everyone is fit.
You wouldn't be surprised about Ladson if you had been around. BF is the only Hawk site that serially undervalues Ladson.
I cannot think of any player I would rather have with the football in the middle of the ground, backline jammed packed with flooding, 20 seconds to go in a game and we are 3 points down.
Ladson has repeatedly shown he has the poise and foot skills to find the right target inside 50 and deliver the perfect pass.

That's the difference between winning and losing sometimes.

BTW. I would love Stokesy to be in the team, absolute great little player.

Dew - safe. Now that he's getting match fit Clarko won't drop him. I think he works best as a forward pocket (great crumber!) or as a half forward setting up leads. I don't think he has the pace to cover someone in defence or in the midfield.

Youngy - Played well from the looks of things, but after spending two weeks in the seconds with stokes getting games ahead of him he really needed to play well. They bring different things to the table, Young is an absolute weapon when we've got Bateman, Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell and Ellis in the midfield applying the pressure then Young is brilliant at the mark sprint and bomb. Used to have doubts on him in pressure games but played a ripper against the crows in a 2 point thriller.

Goo. With Hodge, Birch and Ladson down there we've got a lot of guys doing a similar thing. However it seems that Goo is the one that those guys like to give it too. I agree with what people say about him defensively. At best he beats R.O Keefe, at worst he gets his pants pulled down by Morton.

Ladson. Good with the little 20m creative pass. Hurts the opposition when he does this but in my opinion doesn't do it enough. Often gets the job on those annoying little forward pocket pricks. He is a solid performer but I feel like there are a lot of people that can do what he does, more consistently.

Murphy. Clarko loves the guy. Has beaten Pavlich, Burton, Robertson, among others. Has given us the option to play Brown forward which makes us much less predictable. Still green but will be a fine player. He'll play evrey game for the rest of the season.

Stokes.
When he's in we can play Rioli on the wing a lot more. someone said he also give the option for osborne to get more involved. I think stokesy needs to be in for a few games in a row because he's still on VFL speed when he has the ball. Once he adjusts properly to AFL speed he'll fit in perfectly.

Dew - safe. Now that he's getting match fit Clarko won't drop him. I think he works best as a forward pocket (great crumber!) or as a half forward setting up leads. I don't think he has the pace to cover someone in defence or in the midfield.

Youngy - Played well from the looks of things, but after spending two weeks in the seconds with stokes getting games ahead of him he really needed to play well. They bring different things to the table, Young is an absolute weapon when we've got Bateman, Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell and Ellis in the midfield applying the pressure then Young is brilliant at the mark sprint and bomb. Used to have doubts on him in pressure games but played a ripper against the crows in a 2 point thriller.

Goo. With Hodge, Birch and Ladson down there we've got a lot of guys doing a similar thing. However it seems that Goo is the one that those guys like to give it too. I agree with what people say about him defensively. At best he beats R.O Keefe, at worst he gets his pants pulled down by Morton.

Ladson. Good with the little 20m creative pass. Hurts the opposition when he does this but in my opinion doesn't do it enough. Often gets the job on those annoying little forward pocket pricks. He is a solid performer but I feel like there are a lot of people that can do what he does, more consistently.

Murphy. Clarko loves the guy. Has beaten Pavlich, Burton, Robertson, among others. Has given us the option to play Brown forward which makes us much less predictable. Still green but will be a fine player. He'll play evrey game for the rest of the season.

Stokes.
When he's in we can play Rioli on the wing a lot more. someone said he also give the option for osborne to get more involved. I think stokesy needs to be in for a few games in a row because he's still on VFL speed when he has the ball. Once he adjusts properly to AFL speed he'll fit in perfectly.

Really comprehensive - Well done LP:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Guerra dropped???????:confused::confused:

You have to be joking right? Did you actually watch the game against WCE last Sunday? I was there and he dominated.

No further comment.

Regardless of what TBSS states, he hits hard, a couple of beauties at Subi aagain this week....kicks superbly and is in all areas an asset to the footy team...best 22 without a doubt, crucial in fact to the structure

Regardless of what TBSS states, he hits hard, a couple of beauties at Subi aagain this week....kicks superbly and is in all areas an asset to the footy team...best 22 without a doubt, crucial in fact to the structure

Agreed mate.

His toughness has assisted our other guys in their development over the past couple of years....

I understand he has had a struggle recently, but so did Lewis a little earlier and he is now repaying us too....

It may be tougher next year for Goo, who knows....but I'm still a big fan of him right now.

Young played one of his better games I reckon, and wasn't afraid of taking the body contact either. (Braun, Spanger?)

Clint will be in our first game of the finals. However there is a proviso. He will need to carry on with his splendid form of Sunday against the Blues come Saturday night.(he would realize that and, for that matter, *so will each and every other player). and he will need to perform well in his first finals game.

Alastair Clarkson should be ruthless towards quiet gamers at the selection table over the finals campaign. There is no space to be given to personal friends or favorites.

Drop Guerra ?!

When the balls coming out of the back 50 I want it in his hands, he's our quarterback (Hodge even prefers to get him the ball back there). He's our best spot up kick and always makes the right decision.

If he gets dropped than we need Hodge to play back for the whole game no matter what and that's not good for us.

However, Lewis did ok playing that half back sweeper role on sunday but he can't do as well as Hodge in the air when needed.

I hope we go for Stokes...his form is very good so why not.

Some facts about the last time we played the Bullies.

* IN (Compared to R21 team): Clarke, Kennedy, Morton
OUT (from our R21 team): Crawf, Dew, Stokes
* 7 players had 0 tackles, 4 had 1 each. HALF our team had 4 tackles between them!!!
* Sammy, Young and Rioli had 4 inside 50's each, Sammy's freekick count 0-5?
* Sewell did his shoulder that game from memory??

We need a Stokes to pressure the ball carrier against the hard running/line breaking doggies.

AC will look at match ups so it'll be anyone's guess who comes in/out, but it's a great problem to have!

Drop Guerra ?!

When the balls coming out of the back 50 I want it in his hands, he's our quarterback (Hodge even prefers to get him the ball back there). He's our best spot up kick and always makes the right decision.

If he gets dropped than we need Hodge to play back for the whole game no matter what and that's not good for us.

However, Lewis did ok playing that half back sweeper role on sunday but he can't do as well as Hodge in the air when needed.

Possibly could drop him, as i thought he struggled in the air against the geelong fwds. But the back six seems settled, therefore i wouldn't change that. Brown-Gilham-Guerra, Murphy/Ladson-Croad-Birchall.

* What's the go with Tim Boyle? I noticed he kicked 5 for box hill a few weeks ago. Then he's injured again. He's seem to struggle since coming back from injury last year. It was looking good with with Franklin, Roughead, Boyle, & Williams up fwd last yr. Having those four in the team could possibly stretch opposition backlines (especially wbdgs, now with tom williams out for the season). It'd take four good backmen (3 tall, 1 medium/tall) to cover them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have said this in another thread, I think Stokes is in our best 22. Although like the OP I can't quite figure out who goes out.

I am not quite sure why people think Murphy will go out, look at the top 5 sides on the ladder - they all have very dangerous mid size forwards (Dogs Murphy, Johnson; Cats Johnson; Collingwood Medhurst; Kangaroos Jones), and these are all the type of player he is in the side to play on and does well on. IMO he should be playing come finals time.

Stoker is pure class. What a great get in the rookie draft.

Makes me very nervous seeing Goo one-out in our defensive fifty. I am not convinced as much as others as to his importance in setting us up from the back half.

As much as Crawf can butcher the ball, he has to be in the side for experience and hopefully his desire to win a flag inspires his young teammates to great heights.

Makes me very nervous seeing Goo one-out in our defensive fifty. I am not convinced as much as others as to his importance in setting us up from the back half.

As much as Crawf can butcher the ball, he has to be in the side for experience and hopefully his desire to win a flag inspires his young teammates to great heights.

Agree 110%. We have enough of his sort, can think of several players who may not have as good a skills but provide more of what we need defensively. I think his days will be numbered come next year.

Agree, especially against the ilk of Steve Johnson and Paul Chapman.

I'm not really convinced by most of the suggestions posted so far.

People talk about being worried when Goo/Lado are one-on-one, but that is the reason why Murphy is getting a game.

Goo/Lado shouldn't, and won't, be dropped because they are too integral.

Stokes is more of a luxury, and with Browny seemingly being earmarked from a swinging back/forward role, there just doesn't seem to be room for another small.

Remove this Banner Ad

I want Cam Stokes in our finals team. Who will miss out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back