I was right, Mccartney should have been delisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Tangodown
I believe in his after match speech he said

" Its not easy carrying the hopes of the nation ???"

What the hell is that crap ?????

McCartney, whether you (or he) likes it or not was THE public face of the Bali bombing. Simon Crean took time out today from leadeership speculation to talk about it and I've been told that it was even featured on American CNN.

I don't know the bloke but from what I gather he sure as hell neither asked for, nor expected this kind of attention. However he got it and knew he had a role to play it this nation coming to grips with a terrible tragedy. His public job at the time was that of a "footballer". His private life revolved around being engaged to a woman he loved. In order to complete his, and all of our grief over the incident he found himself plunged into recovering his health and fulfilling both roles - husband and credible league footballer.

Both missions accomplished and we can now all move on.

Originally posted by Chris_Judd
What the ****? what is everyone going off at me for... all I said is that it was a publicity stunt by the Kangaroos and I was right. The Kangaroos waited until they had a Friday night game where they could attract the most exposure and get the most people to come.... and he retired straight after the game.

It was a publicity stunt by the Kangaroos. I never said anything about McCartney.

No, you never mentioned McCartney by name. But you made it quite obvious that you agreed with Tar that he should have been delisted. But don't worry, now you have another piece of scum on this board to keep you company.

Originally posted by Tar
Looks like you were all wrong and I was right. I said last october/november that Kangaroos should have delisted Mccartney because he would never be able to play at AFL standard again. Now roos have an empty space on their list that could have been filled by another draft pick....

Look what happens when clubs base their decisions of irrelevant emotions

Originally posted by Chris_Judd
Yup.. have to say you were right. Just a North publicity stunt to make a few extra dollars.

I never said I had any issue with Jason returning to footy...I think its fantastic...

But what about all the other injured people from Bali ?

Truckies, clerical workers, fitters , footy players, regular holiday people ?

Im sure many have returned to their usual employment without any fanfare.......

I just think this whole return to footy for Jason is over the top .

I commend Jason for making a great comeback to AFL but I do feel sorry for others that have just gone about their business and returned to whatever they did before Bali...

I work with a guy who was in the Sari 2 hrs before it went BOOM and I know he is still affected by what happened even though he has no physical injury...

I think we as Australians have forgotten about the many others who have returned to what was normality...

Tango: it is always different for someone in the public eye, they become the face of the people who all made the comeback to 'normality' and those who are still yet to get their life back on track.

Of course we have not forgotten the other survivors or victims of Bali, Tangodown!

But the fact is that most of us do not turn up in droves to watch a butcher, baker of concreter go about their daily business.

Paid Footballers only exist because people have an interest in their careers and day-to-day lives.

McCartney was a lower-list public face before Bali. Due to the fact he played footy and was known to more people than the other victims he became the "public" face. I'm sure he didn't want it, but realised how needed he was to fulfill it.

And he did it honourably.

One a similar note, I suppose there are thousands of people affected each year by Parkinson's Disease and just as many that become quadreplegics.

Just because Ali, Fox and Reeve are the only one I know afflicted by such maladies does not mean theat they "stand for" many thousands of others facing such predicaments.

Originally posted by Tar
Looks like you were all wrong and I was right.

I said last october/november that Kangaroos should have delisted Mccartney because he would never be able to play at AFL standard again. Now roos have an empty space on their list that could have been filled by another draft pick....

You heartless ****! Just because the Kangaroos football club work on values more than picking up another ****ing rookie at pick 90. How about finding an inch of emotion inside of your heartless soul and realise this is the most inspirational thing that has ever happened in AFL football. If you saw the state of Jason McCartney in October, you would realise that he worked harder and earned his spot in the team, and the CLub did the RIGHT thing by allowing him to make that comeback. For the Kangaroos unlike some clubs value their senior players and do what is right by them, we are a club not a business. We may have managed 43 000 at the gorund but that is 43 000 inspired people, plus the millions who watched on TV. Go play rugby you heartless piece of crap! They dont need brains or hearts!

I'd just like to echo a big **** you to the two individuals who started this thread. How dare you sanctimonious ****s sit behind your computer screen and come out with this bull****? You just don't get it, do you?

It goes without saying that there was probably a fair amount of publicity chasing about this game. Whether by accident or design, Jason's story was always going to make good copy. But if you watched this game, I don't know how you could seriously think that was all there was to it.
McCartney earned his spot on the back of good form and an unbelievable amount of hard work. Even had he been injured in the off season by jumping through a plate glass window whilst on the p1ss, he still would have earned his place in the side this week through his hard work.

In a practical sense, he didn't have a blinder, nor would you seriously expect anybody to in their first game back from serious injury. He did, however, come to play at exactly the right time, kicking one goal in the final quarter and setting another up. In a game which was decided by less than a kick, he was the difference between win and loss. Its pretty doubtful that the kangas would have got over the line without him out there. But thats not good enough for you? What would have justified his comeback to you??

I don't think anyone who watched this game wasn't on the edge of their seat the whole night. It was an awesome contest, great to watch, and when McCartney booted his first in the final quarter, it was seriously exciting. You know you're watching some pretty rare football when you can go into a game as a neutral supporter, and end up excited by the game, and satisfied with the result. It just felt right. McCartney couldn't hope for a better way out than this, and anyone who would begrudge a footballer a chance to make an exit from the game in that manner isn't a footy fan.

Its pretty sad when you have juvenile ****s who are so insecure about themselves that they feel they have to shy away from sentiment. Football is about emotion, if you can't deal with that, stick to chess and backgammon. Or just do us all a favor and shut the **** up, because you simply aren't a true fan.

So in a practical sense, Jason justified his selection by helping the Kangas over the line, in a sentimental sense, it was the 'right' result. What on earth is the problem, then?

Tar TOOL

Tar....Do everyone a favour... admit you are very shallow and lack a heart then maybe some ppl on BF may be able to forgive you for your 'foolish comments'

if you persist that you were 'right' you've got my comprehensive vote as BF TOOL of the Year !!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a reminder - the bomb went of in Paddy's - everything started to burn and just before the roof fell in Jason McCartney threw him self over two girls and took the brunt of the impact and most of the burns. He was taken to a hospital and later identified as one of those who should have been on the first Herculies out, when they came for him he he told the medicos to take some one else instead.

He made it back to Melbourne in such bad condition that he was administered the last rights in the Albert Hospital. Despite all this he made it to his wedding in December and Last night in emphatic statement to those who comited this foolish act played one last game in the big league - shouting at the top of his lungs " YOU DIDNT BEAT ME".

If I had any say at the Roos and he had come out of the incident in a wheel chair and asked for one last chance I would have named him in the team and let him sit on the bench - he has earned it. That however was not enough for this man - he trained, he worked, he gave his all and in the end came very close - wether his place was charity - publicity stunt or not, there was never a chance more justly given or more gallantly taken.

It is good to know that there are people out there who placed in situations you and I can only invisage in fevered nightmares are able to do the things that we all wish we were capable of.

Cheers Jason, and best of luck, you deserve it.

Originally posted by Tar
Looks like you were all wrong and I was right.

I said last october/november that Kangaroos should have delisted Mccartney because he would never be able to play at AFL standard again. Now roos have an empty space on their list that could have been filled by another draft pick....

Tar I have no idea what was said after the first post but fair dinkum mate you should hang your head in shame.

The bloke is a hero.

The only shame is he will only be an Australian hero, and probably only in the AFL supporting community.

The world (and I have spoken to a few yanks I do some work with) should hear more about the man.

No respect for anyone who has posted otherwise (didn't read most of the thread)

I think McCartney is great coming back from what happened to him in Bali he must be so strong hell I gave up footy after a knee reco because I didn't want to risk doing it again & going through the pain.
Anyone who has a go at him has never had to go through an expereince like him & I doubt if they would be as couragous as he has been.

re-tar

Attention-tar

vermon like you appear from time to time!!!

do us all a favour and crawl back under the rock you
came from!!!

i see you have no details in members page
obviously because you are a spineless piece
of trash!!!

you have no idea what a real club is!!!
its not all about draft picks!!!
{shinboner spirit will last forever!!!}

Thanks JASE for a great career!!!
not just last night!!!!

over + out
Digby

Well a pretty fair troll although picking this particular subject is a bit desperate. As for those easily outraged, time for a bit of reflection about who's in control.

Speaking of control, whatever McCartney's past or his future, that was a moment of Australian sporting greatness on show last night. Inspiring.

This thread and the "What do Canberra and Jason McCartney" threads should be deleted, whilst I do agree that it is good for all to see the sort of scum Tar is it makes me sick in the stomach to think that one of Jason McCartney's team mates, friends or more importantly family could ever be witness to the posts from this peanut.
Cheers.

Originally posted by RoosterWedgie
This thread and the "What do Canberra and Jason McCartney" threads should be deleted, whilst I do agree that it is good for all to see the sort of scum Tar is it makes me sick in the stomach to think that one of Jason McCartney's team mates, friends or more importantly family could ever be witness to the posts from this peanut.
Cheers.

Good point, but it also shows that out of all the posters on BigFooty, there are only 2 who disagree with Jason McCartney being at the ground last night. That's got to count for something.

The whole scernario around Jason McCartney was dealt with in a beautiful way by North Melbourne and they should be praised for it.

I doubt that there has ever been a situation like it in the history of Aussie Rules before. In Novemebr last year McCartney said he wanted to make a comeback to the AFL, North Melbourne knowing that this would've been a long shot stuck by him anyway and kept him on the list. A 182 game player deserved the chance to make the remarkable comeback he did. Even though he has retired North Melbourne now can promote a youngster from the rookie list to replace him.

I've seen players get career ending injuries of the football field and the only one I remember worse than McCartney's was Peter Motley. Carlton stuck by Motley in a similar way to North and McCartney even though he was never going to play again. The club has to bigger than just about winning a game it has to support it's players though their careers. North has done that and last night McCartney returned the favour with a huge crowd and a much need win.

Re: Re: I was right, Mccartney should have been delisted.

Originally posted by goaldrush
That is a really harsh comment. You are an insensitive young person who only cares about yourself.
It's taken a while, but suzi - I agree with you.

Jason McCartney said last night that the decision to retire was only made a few weeks ago. Up until then I get the feeling he intended to play on after this game.

The Kangaroos can promote a rookie now. Don't know what the quality of rookies are like, I know J Clayton already is up from the rookie list.

Remove this Banner Ad

I was right, Mccartney should have been delisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back