Expansion India next in AFL expansion plans

Remove this Banner Ad

That being the case why did Emirates and Toyota cough up to cover the costs of the Dubai NAB cup game this year?

To appeal to the Australian audience watching it in Australia. It gave an exotic flavour and gave emerates a lot of exposure. Almost all football fans knew a game was being played in Dubai and that Emeriates was a sponsor.

Tell me what are the odds of success in India with a $40,000 investment? 10 to 1? 100 to 1? 1,000 to 1? I'd say 1,000,000,000 to 1 would be closest to the mark.

Depends what you define as a success....for such a small investment, i'd say it's reasonable to define success as a 5 figure crowd, and a few column inches in the local papers.

In which case, i'd say the chances of success are pretty good. Better than evens.

Geez, some of those Indians wouldnt wanna be putting their bodies on the line would they? CRUNCH!

Javagal Srinath would have made a fine CHF in his day I reckon.

Toyota sells cars EVERYWHERE, and Emirates fly EVERYWHERE! NAB is only an AUSTRALIA-WIDE business! Duh!

NAB would have a number of links to Asia. For instance it has a wealth management business that would seek to manage the superannuation funds of people in Asia. No doubt other parts of the business would be interested too. Banking isn't just about ATM's and screwing the little guy for an excess withdrawal fee.

To appeal to the Australian audience watching it in Australia. It gave an exotic flavour and gave emerates a lot of exposure. Almost all football fans knew a game was being played in Dubai and that Emeriates was a sponsor.

I think there was a bit more to it than that but in any case matches in India will no doubt have the same effect. So it should once again prove popular with the sponsors.

Tell me what are the odds of success in India with a $40,000 investment? 10 to 1? 100 to 1? 1,000 to 1? I'd say 1,000,000,000 to 1 would be closest to the mark.

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. Since we're talking football I'd say $40,000 would get you someone to go over to India and drum up a bit of business, source some promoters,underwriters,sponsors and entrepreneurs, The whole idea is to run these promotions as cost neutral.
It's a bit like a development officer is supposed to canvass so many schools and create a certain amount of interest.
:)

That being the case why did Emirates and Toyota cough up to cover the costs of the Dubai NAB cup game this year?

Toyota and Emirates work with the AFL and Austrade, who jointly put together the Dubai match. Now the Austrade man in Dubai has moved to India.

No doubt Austrade and the AFL will have plenty of partners willing to get involved in sponsoring this match to benefit from the media coverage it will receive in Australia alone.

Plenty of replies from those who don't want it to work. Well the AFL is going to India anyway, sorry they didn't listen. :thumbsu:

The cricket connection is the key, followed by grass roots campaigns. Parts of India are not unlike parts of South Africa, there is no entrenched football code. Cricket on the other hand is revered and cricketers even Australian ones are also revered.

Footy was created to keep cricketers fit, why not introduce the same premise in India.

Unlike the past India is emerging economically with a growing middle class that some say will be bigger than western Europe. That growth is happening now, India the new China.

Dont' worry rugby and soccer will be taking a second look, there is enough room for everyone.

Redb

Anyone who clings to a belief that AFL could gain anything more than a foothold on homesick ex-pats is just plain thick.

Have you guys heard of kabbadi?

National sport of India, up with cricket...

Go look it up on Wiki.

Now, imagine a bunch of Indian kabbadi fans, on an internet forum. They are talking excitedly about how Kabbadi could really take off in Australia, that Aussies are crying out for a new sport, that crowds of, say, 50,000 could be expected in the big cities.

What would you say to them?

footy would thrive in the northern states as Punjab, they love their contact sports... they would see it as a mixture of their kabaddi and soccer.. dont think it would do as well in the south

I think there was a bit more to it than that but in any case matches in India will no doubt have the same effect. So it should once again prove popular with the sponsors.

It would be the same if you had an Indian sponsor of an Australian team trying to raise further awareness in Australia that they are a sponsor.

Which Indian companies in Australia do you know? Which Indian companies do you think would be interested in the Australian market?

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. Since we're talking football I'd say $40,000 would get you someone to go over to India and drum up a bit of business, source some promoters,underwriters,sponsors and entrepreneurs, The whole idea is to run these promotions as cost neutral.
It's a bit like a development officer is supposed to canvass so many schools and create a certain amount of interest.
:)

Indeed, it depends what you want to achieve. If it is some kind of promotional event that uses the exotic flavour of India to appeal to sponsors that would be ok. Don King did something similar with his Rumble in the Jungle. However, if you think your going to plant a football seed in India with $40,000, you are just pissing your money up the wall. The bigger the market, the more competition, the harder it is to get exposure and the more money you need to invest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be the same if you had an Indian sponsor of an Australian team trying to raise further awareness in Australia that they are a sponsor.

Which Indian companies in Australia do you know? Which Indian companies do you think would be interested in the Australian market?

The Indian companies that come to my mind are Kingfisher beer, DLF, Hero Honda and Mittal Steel. In the case of the first three my awareness comes from IPL cricket sponsorship and the latter from reading an article. Whether they have a presence in Australia I couldn't tell you.

I can only guess which companies are interested in Australia, I would think the steelmakers and the brewers would be. I've read that our government is trying to increase opportunities for our financial services sector so the users of those services would be interested in another service provider.

Our banks, phone companies etc have set up call centres and back offices in India so Indian training companies, software providers, educational institutions would see opportunities here for commerce. Any Indian company interested in agriculture, minerals and primary produce such as wool would be interested in Australia.

The Indian companies that come to my mind are Kingfisher beer, DLF, Hero Honda and Mittal Steel. In the case of the first three my awareness comes from IPL cricket sponsorship and the latter from reading an article. Whether they have a presence in Australia I couldn't tell you.

I can only guess which companies are interested in Australia, I would think the steelmakers and the brewers would be. I've read that our government is trying to increase opportunities for our financial services sector so the users of those services would be interested in another service provider.

Our banks, phone companies etc have set up call centres and back offices in India so Indian training companies, software providers, educational institutions would see opportunities here for commerce. Any Indian company interested in agriculture, minerals and primary produce such as wool would be interested in Australia.

It looks like those companies have already gained their exposure to Australia via their IPL sponsorship. In addition, they gained exposure to 1.5 billion Indians.

I know a former player who went to South Africa as part of the AFL's push and he said he couldn't see it working as their skills with a ball were terrible.
I saw the South African side play an Australian representitive side and I saw some very good skills .Some tactics let them down like going for a specky in defense but there attack was very good, running and moving the ball well except the guys from a rugby background who were apt to kick the ball very high to get distance and thus made it easy for the defenders .

I saw the South African side play an Australian representitive side and I saw some very good skills .Some tactics let them down like going for a specky in defense but there attack was very good, running and moving the ball well except the guys from a rugby background who were apt to kick the ball very high to get distance and thus made it easy for the defenders .

I think the biggest problem footy has always had, and always will have, is that it has too many rules and too many skills that need to be acquired. In regards to the rules, the South Africans I've spoken to (in South Africa) can't get their head around the game and don't have the patience to try. Then there are the skills involved to hand-pass, bounce, kick and mark an egg-shaped ball. Finally, you have that football brain that takes years to develop.

I'd be more optimistic of international expansion if a round ball was used and throwing was allowed. Admittedly, I like the oval ball because I was brought up with it, but I am sure if I was brought up with a round ball I'd like it all the same.

cricket is like trash in india. indians play the game a lot but are no good at it. same for soccer.

the ONE sport the indians were the guns at was hockey(8 olympic golds). and they destroyed it with politics over the last 25 years. it is sad really, the brazilians of hockey went from being dribbling kings to not qualifying in the olympics.

from personal expirence i sense that indians are getting tired of cricket. Afl will have to expand now before some other sport like american football or rugby will take precedence.

beleive me there are enough big men in india to play football well, they are just not given enough opportunities by the elite. something like the afl(being australian) will quickly catch on and the masses will come to the game because they are TIRED of cricket, soccer is a failure (after 150 years, oldest club in asia n all) and hocky died long ago, sadly.

AFL is ripe for expansion, just give away free tickets, tv revenue is what counts.

When the irish try to get us all hooked all hurling, you'll all be jumping on board, right?

Those who think AFL will ever gain any sort of following among anything approaching 1% of the Indian population simply don't understand the relationship between sport and culture.

They've got their sports, they've got their culture.

They haven't been waiting for the most exciting sport in the world to grab their attention.

It's a waste of time, and slightly embarrassing. Like having Jehovah's Witnesses come to your door

"Hi! We're AFL, and we're here to save you!"

You are forgetting IPrimus which is Indian owned as well.

When the irish try to get us all hooked all hurling, you'll all be jumping on board, right?

Those who think AFL will ever gain any sort of following among anything approaching 1% of the Indian population simply don't understand the relationship between sport and culture.

They've got their sports, they've got their culture.

They haven't been waiting for the most exciting sport in the world to grab their attention.

It's a waste of time, and slightly embarrassing. Like having Jehovah's Witnesses come to your door

"Hi! We're AFL, and we're here to save you!"

Its a game of football and a promotional exercise with costs covered by sponsors. If you're embarassed by it watch another program on the telly that night.

How does your theory on sport and culture explain the NFL selling out Wembley Stadium in near record time last year for a middle of the road fixture?

After all no country has "their sports and their culture" like the English do.

How does your theory on sport and culture explain the NFL selling out Wembley Stadium in near record time last year for a middle of the road fixture?

After all no country has "their sports and their culture" like the English do.

That's piss easy.

American global culture. They would sell out a big crowd here too. Everyone in the world knows Dallas Cowboys. Same with NBA. Jordan, Le Bron, Kobe. It's glamourous, ritzy, desirable, hip.

If NBA played a game here, how many would go?
What about hurling, or kabbadi?

There's a significant difference between them, isn't there?

Same as Beckham in Asia. Premier league is a global brand. A million shirts sold in an instant.

We are not. We are an odd little curio. Same as hurling. Worth a 5 second glance on a global sports round-up at Grand Final time, and a "Wow, look at those crazee Ossies and their 'no-rules' football...what else is on?"

I mean, honestly??? People can't seriously see legs in this, can they? What's the ultimate goal of this expansion?

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion India next in AFL expansion plans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back