Test India v New Zealand (3 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah. The BCCICC will just move forward the schedule on killing off test cricket.

I love seeing India get belted but at the same time I feel like a strong India test team has kept the powers that be at least somewhat invested in the game (albeit with a heavy bias towards tests between the big three).

There’s a real danger of the Indian public losing interest in tests if they start routinely losing series (they’re already well down this track even with the Indian team being successful). If that happens, then expect the BCCI/ICC to accelerate the prioritisation of IPL and diet IPL bullshit franchise leagues at the expense of Tests.

It’s a rubbish state of affairs mind you. We shouldn’t have a situation where the success or lack thereof of one team dictates the commercial viability of a sport. That’s just the way cricket works now though.

Last edited:
I love seeing India get belted but at the same time I feel like a strong India test team has kept the powers that be at least somewhat invested in the game (albeit with a heavy bias towards tests between the big three).

There’s a real danger of the Indian public losing interest in tests if they start routinely losing series (they’re already well down this track even with the Indian team being successful). If that happens, then expect the BCCI/ICC to accelerate the prioritisation of IPL and diet IPL franchise leagues at the expense of Tests.
I feel like the BCCI follow the lead of whoever the spiritual leader is in the playing group.

When Sachin and Dhoni were around they didn't want DRS so basically BCCI denied any use of DRS during the test series involving India.

Kohli then took over was pro-DRS but also pro test cricket. Kohli was very clear with his messaging how important test cricket was to the game.

I have noticed a shift since Rohit Sharma took over who is probably more white ball minded then Kohli was.

Whoever takes over after Rohit will be the big indication of where India goes I reckon.

I feel like the BCCI follow the lead of whoever the spiritual leader is in the playing group.

When Sachin and Dhoni were around they didn't want DRS so basically BCCI denied any use of DRS during the test series involving India.

Kohli then took over was pro-DRS but also pro test cricket. Kohli was very clear with his messaging how important test cricket was to the game.

I have noticed a shift since Rohit Sharma took over who is probably more white ball minded then Kohli was.

Whoever takes over after Rohit will be the big indication of where India goes I reckon.

The spiritual leader definitely plays a huge role there. Kohli has a passion for Test cricket and routinely emphasised its importance, which fuelled their pursuit of Test success all over the world. That has ultimately led to strong interest levels being maintained among the Indian public, which translates into commercial viability.

That is a delicate situation though. Even if the heir apparent loves his Test cricket, at the end of the day if they aren’t a successful side, then the interest and the rupees will dry up and the BCCI will look in other directions

Remove this Banner Ad

Test India v New Zealand (3 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back