Indian Tour of England 2014 (On Fox Sports)

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't 'play around friendly'. They were having fun with it but it was definitely competitive.

From what I could tell Lee wanted to unleash a big, quick yorker that'd get Warne and he fluffed it up. It was a total accident afaik.

They are/were professional sportsmen. Half of them probably CAN'T play without being really competitive.

India drew 1-1 in 2002 and then beat England 1-0 in 2007. Yes it's true that they had a disastrous last tour, but I am not sure why one would say that they shouldn't even hope for a win. In the last 12 years, they have won one, lost one and drew one series.

Their overall record in England is pretty bad going back many years. In 2007 they escaped defeat at Lords when down to the last wicket ,as the entire 5th day was lost to rain. They're notorious bad tourists ,but strong at home.

If we leave grass on the deck ,we should be winning. End of story !!

Their overall record in England is pretty bad going back many years. In 2007 they escaped defeat at Lords when down to the last wicket ,as the entire 5th day was lost to rain. They're notorious bad tourists ,but strong at home.

If we leave grass on the deck ,we should be winning. End of story !!

So at worst the 2007 series would have been a draw too. There are many test series like that. In 2004 when Australia won in India, the last day of the Chennai test was washed out when Indian were in a winning position, otherwise it would have been a 2-2 series too. The bottom line is in two of the last three tours India have performed quite well in England and they certainly have a chance. Leaving a lot of grass on the wicket can actually work against England. Indian bowling is mediocre, they would probably prefer a green pitch than a flat one.

They are/were professional sportsmen. Half of them probably CAN'T play without being really competitive.

Very true - I reckon you'd have a bit of fun between balls but it'd be all business during the actual play.

Tino Best certainly doesn't know how to hold himself back :p

So at worst the 2007 series would have been a draw too. There are many test series like that. In 2004 when Australia won in India, the last day of the Chennai test was washed out when Indian were in a winning position, otherwise it would have been a 2-2 series too. The bottom line is in two of the last three tours India have performed quite well in England and they certainly have a chance. Leaving a lot of grass on the wicket can actually work against England. Indian bowling is mediocre, they would probably prefer a green pitch than a flat one.

I was harsh saying "they wouldnt have a hope in hell". But their overall touring record outside the sub continent is pretty terrible overall .

I was harsh saying "they wouldnt have a hope in hell". But their overall touring record outside the sub continent is pretty terrible overall .

They definitely have a poor record but Sri Lanka's win would have been very heartening for them. While their pace attack is still fairly weak for their status there's definitely been a few good finds in that area and they should get some assistance in England.

Don't forget they really took it up to SA in SA in that first test late last year.

I feel like England and India both have a fair few problems between the ears so a lot of it will come down to fortitude I reckon.

They definitely have a poor record but Sri Lanka's win would have been very heartening for them. While their pace attack is still fairly weak for their status there's definitely been a few good finds in that area and they should get some assistance in England.

Don't forget they really took it up to SA in SA in that first test late last year.

I feel like England and India both have a fair few problems between the ears so a lot of it will come down to fortitude I reckon.

I said that in my original post that the Sri Lanka win would give them a massive confidence boost. They would now fancy their chances of winning because Cook has turned into a lameduck. I wouldnt be shocked if their batting lineup put up afew big scores ,compared to last time when they just got destroyed.

I said that in my original post that the Sri Lanka win would give them a massive confidence boost. They would now fancy their chances of winning because Cook has turned into a lameduck. I wouldnt be shocked if their batting lineup put up afew big scores ,compared to last time when they just got destroyed.

Sorry - I did skim over a few posts there.

Agree, if Kohli and especially Pujara get settled they could rack up massive scores if England get bogged down. Rahane/Dhawan/Dhoni are very capable too. They'll probably pick a couple of blokes a bit better versed in English conditions to balance it all out.

England really should bounce back and win after that last series, but it'd be a braver man than me who'd tip them at the moment.

Cook is very important as he's supposedly England's best batsman. Can't be waiting to be toast every innings.

I hope India have that little Bhuvi Kumar, if the conditions are 'English', he could tear it up. He looks like another Asif, can do wonders at half-rat pace.

Don't see India winning any games here, they some great young batsmen, but the problem is you need bowlers to win test matches, and India don;t have bowlers capable of taking 20 wickets. India would have won in SA and NZ if they had the bowlers, but they keep persisting with the shit kicking in Ishant Sharma, just shows they have no bowlers at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry - I did skim over a few posts there.

Agree, if Kohli and especially Pujara get settled they could rack up massive scores if England get bogged down. Rahane/Dhawan/Dhoni are very capable too. They'll probably pick a couple of blokes a bit better versed in English conditions to balance it all out.

England really should bounce back and win after that last series, but it'd be a braver man than me who'd tip them at the moment.

Vaughan is claiming the wicket is the same as last summer. A dry turner!!
Which kills any claims this wicket was doctored just for last summer. So India will like this wicket alot and could do well. The rest of the wickets are flat decks ,so they will like that as well. England will be disappointed when they turn up and see no grass on the wickets .

Don't see India winning any games here, they some great young batsmen, but the problem is you need bowlers to win test matches, and India don;t have bowlers capable of taking 20 wickets. India would have won in SA and NZ if they had the bowlers, but they keep persisting with the shit kicking in Ishant Sharma, just shows they have no bowlers at all.

Same was said about Sri Lanka though. I think Herath and Eranga were the only bowlers with an average less than 35 while Pradeep and Matthews were in the 70's. If India can bat first and post a big total I think the likes of Shami and B.Kumar will be good enough to rattle England.

I would get Borthwick in there as frontline spinner. Before any tests were played I said this new lineup looked poor and have been proven right so far. There is talent out there that is being ignored .

England don't even have a proper spinner in the squad of 14 so Moeen will be doing the duties again you'd wager.

Stokes at 8 would sure up the batting a bit and I think he'll get a gig. Plunkett/Anderson/Broad the other bowlers.

Binny's in apparently

Rubbish Binny? :p

I'm sure India are hoping that's not the case :p

Bhuv Kumar and Binny will be interesting (assuming they're both playing) if the ball is swinging.

Quite excited for play to start tonight; never seen Robson, Ali, Ballance or Strokes, and haven't laid eyes on Plunkett in years.

Interesting India are also going with four seamers, with a spinning-allrounder at six.

Quite excited for play to start tonight; never seen Robson, Ali, Ballance or Strokes, and haven't laid eyes on Plunkett in years.

Interesting India are also going with four seamers, with a spinning-allrounder at six.
Even with his FC average of 49, I'm not sure I'd be batting Jadeja at 6 ahead of Dhoni. Will be interesting to see how they shuffle the order.

Remove this Banner Ad

Indian Tour of England 2014 (On Fox Sports)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back