Injury Report - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Yup - Timmy Lunch to be looked after carefully for the rest of this year so he is primed and ready……….

For another solid 4 games next year…..

Dude has not really been able to provide anything since that farc overturned high shanked snap around the corner in the 2002 EF.

Seems like ages ago and we have seen him suit up only 8 times since ☹️
It’s even sadder because that season he was the most dominant key forward in the comp.

We have a lot of weird injuries at the club.

Grimes - back
Colina - back
Vlastuin - back
Dusty - back
Fawcett - back

Then there are all the soft tissues & serious knee injury's
like wtf is happening at the club?

I’d take that with a grain of salt. Bit like when coaches have the full support of the board. Which usually means they are on their last legs before being sacked.
Injury List is longer than war and peace books 1 and 2 and we the best in the business , I’m glad we haven’t got duds in our fitness and conditioning team

I have a question to the broader supporter base that could be interesting to think about. Could there be an issue with Punt road as a training facility? Is the surface of the training area too hard and this is causing injuries?
Those back injuries, I just wonder if it's the getting older type Injuries. Maybe it's what you get when you run an old list?

I have a question to the broader supporter base that could be interesting to think about. Could there be an issue with Punt road as a training facility? Is the surface of the training area too hard and this is causing injuries?
I mean there’s never really been this level of issue with injury before and there hasn’t been a substantial change to the Punt Road surface

Also a lot of our longer term injuries have occurred at grounds that aren’t Punt Road so I doubt it
Those back injuries, I just wonder if it's the getting older type Injuries. Maybe it's what you get when you run an old list?
Discounting Colina as he’s seemingly had constant injuries to his back the others seem to be spread across our age demographic. Personally I think it points to an overload issue that could stem from a changed weights regime but I’m no expert

What's with the back injuries? We've had like 6, has any team ever accomplished that before? But even in other teams it feels like they're rising.

Strikes me as the sort of injury you're more likely to get in the gym than on the park.
Too many players playing golf. 😝

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading the injury report we’re celebrating milestones if a player can get out of bed and start doing a few laps.
"Lynchy is doing well. He's still in his moonboot, and has great upper body strength to move himself from bed into his wheelchair for the morning. He's rolled a few laps this morning and he's 8-12 weeks away from being 8-12 weeks away"

This is how I read every update

I must admit I've jumped on the bagging Louie train most of the season for the fun of it which probably isn't great, as at the end of the day this is someone's employment.

But to get serious for a second, we really need to be careful with what we do this off-season both in terms of what is happening with our fitness department and then what we do this pre-season.

There is a chance that this could all be just a really horrible sequence of events and luck on the injury front that have just began to compound as the season has gone on, I fully acknowledge that.

But what if its not?

We cannot afford to have another horrible season on the injury front like this, and not just because of the wins and losses. Back to back seasons of this has the real possibility of destroying some of the players bodies beyond repair or at the very least, robbing them of prime years/prime development years.

And while this might sound like a bit of a long bow, I also wonder if another season of injuries could hurt our ability to attract talent from other clubs. While the fitness department wouldn't be the first thing a prospective player and their manager would be asking about, if the club has a poor reputation for looking after their players physically (and if word was to ever get around playing circles about poor injury management), I could see it having an impact on decision making when players are working out where they want to play their footy.

And of course, ongoing poor injury management could also lead to players leaving our club too.

I know there are a lot of IFs and hypotheticals in the above, but when the club does their review of the season, if there is even the slightest hint of mismanagement of players in the fitness department, I think we might have to cut our losses. We simply cannot afford to have another season like this one as the flow on effects are monumental.

Richmond Injury List:

Test

Dustin Martin, back

Tim Taranto, back

Toby Nankervis, concussion

Ollie Hayes-Brown, concussion

Jack Graham, hip flexor

Unavailable

Jack Ross, foot (1 week)

Liam Fawcett, back (1 week)

Tom Lynch, hamstring (2-3 weeks)

Campbell Gray, hamstring (4-5 weeks)