Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Hawks be in with the 6 or the 12 without pokies? 🤔

Absolutely not.

The self-proclaimed 'family club' get the most benefit (i.e. cause the most community and family harm) financially from the pokies.

Compared to North who exited pokies in 2008 and are financially struggling.

So it is a bit rich for Kennett to get on his high horse about the AFL supporting clubs without acknowledging that the Hawks got just under $25m from Pokies last financial year.

I wonder how many of the 6 financially viable clubs would survive without pokies (not sure who the 6 are - Hawks, Richmond, WC, Adelaide?, Collingwood, Essendon?)

If those are the right names, then only Collingwood out of the Victorian clubs is financially viable without pokies.

Yeah, you are spot on with those 6, shooshka. I am a little surprised Carlton is not self sufficient - they've always had cash in good times and bad.

Just on the pokies. Things were different back in the day, so I understand why the clubs got into them when they were looking for new streams of income. But the impact of those things is now well understood and, like the leagues/sports who relied on smoking sponsorship years ago, they need to find a way to wean themselves off it.

A great example would be the AFL moving away from online betting partners as official sponsors, too.

Would Hawks be in with the 6 or the 12 without pokies? 🤔

24 million in revenue from Pokies last year.

4 million per year from Tassie.

Most of their pokies are in Western suburbs, which is lower socioeconomic areas of Melbourne.

Hawks have spent the best part of the last two decades pillaging money out of poor people and a state desperate for an AFL team in order to build a 120 million dollar facility.

Absolute leeches.

Yeah, you are spot on with those 6, shooshka. I am a little surprised Carlton is not self sufficient - they've always had cash in good times and bad.

Just on the pokies. Things were different back in the day, so I understand why the clubs got into them when they were looking for new streams of income. But the impact of those things is now well understood and, like the leagues/sports who relied on smoking sponsorship years ago, they need to find a way to wean themselves off it.

A great example would be the AFL moving away from online betting partners as official sponsors, too.

Carlton is run on brown paper bags. Not the type of stuff to appear on the balance sheet.

4 million per year from Tassie..

I recently read online somewhere (?) Kennett actively promoting need for Hawks to have 4 games in Tassie coz of ‘contract’ - forgot to mention the $4m bonus.

I’ll be pretty pissed if they get em - it’s called compromise Jeff and compromise is needed in ‘different’ season.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

I recently read online somewhere (?) Kennett actively promoting need for Hawks to have 4 games in Tassie coz of ‘contract’ - forgot to mention the $4m bonus.

I’ll be pretty pissed if they get em - it’s called compromise Jeff and compromise is needed in ‘different’ season.

You mean when he called Tasmanian Government selfish?

Both Hawks and North have formally requested the AFL schedule their games in TAS, even though Tasmania has borders and will do for many months :drunk:

Both Hawks and North have formally requested the AFL schedule their games in TAS, even though Tasmania has borders and will do for many months :drunk:

Thanks for the link - I suspect the ‘other clubs’ will be watching these requests with interest.

A good test for the VFL’s integrity.

Actually not surprised, they tried and played out this shite on most clubs and states...Kennett is a serial flog.

Financially (actually, on the field also) Carlton have been a basket case for a long time. Whilst I'm a long-way-withdrawn from the AFL scene - a few friends and/or colleagues who have quoted on business across a number of clubs have always commented on how surprised they were that Carlton's offices and facilities were so old compared to others.

I think they've improved - but also many years of mediocrity does have a massive impact on the balance sheet (look at Richmond, and how they have gone from borderline to very,very financially stable with recent success).

What the actual ****?

Former WA primary school teacher Kate Marie Ainsworth - who was de-registered over meth conviction - revealed as step mum of West Coast player Brayden
The West Australian
Wednesday, 20 May 2020 2:48PM

Eagles player Brayden Ainsworth with his step mother Kate and father Barry. Brayden was drafted to the West Coast Eagles at pick 32 in the 2017 AFL National Draft.
Eagles player Brayden Ainsworth with his step mother Kate and father Barry. Brayden was drafted to the West Coast Eagles at pick 32 in the 2017 AFL National Draft. Credit: Danielle Halford

The step-mum of a West Coast Eagles player has had her teacher’s registration cancelled after she was convicted for dealing meth.
Kate Marie Ainsworth, 38, who taught at Castletown Primary School in Esperance, appeared in the District Court in Perth a year ago after she admitted transporting a package containing 14g of methylamphetamine for a friend.
She was sentenced to 16 months in jail, suspended for 12 months, with supervision and program requirements.

The State Administrative Tribunal yesterday ordered that her registration to teach should be cancelled because she had engaged in serious misconduct and had been convicted of an offence.
The tribunal found she was unfit to be registered as a teacher because she had associated with users and suppliers of methylamphetamine and “her conduct was likely to bring into question her ability to provide moral guidance to children for whom she is responsible”.
The ruling said Ms Ainsworth would be disqualified from applying to register as a teacher for a period of 12 months, back-dated to 6 June 2019.
Ms Ainsworth admitted to the Teachers Registration Board during its investigations that she had used meth recreationally for six to 12 months in 2017 on weekends and school holidays, and in the company of other users.
Tribunal documents reveal Ms Ainsworth went to South Yunderup in January, 2018, where a friend supplied her with a package to take to an address in Castletown.
The package was later collected by a person who was then apprehended and found to be in possession of two bags containing 14g of meth.
The ruling said Ms Ainsworth knew at the time her friend was a drug supplier, because she had previously purchased drugs from her.
The tribunal found Ms Ainsworth had accepted responsibility for her offending and shown genuine remorse and insight into her conduct.
She had not attempted to find a teaching job since she was dismissed by the Education Department.
Ms Ainsworth’s step-son, Brayden Ainsworth, 21, was drafted to the West Coast Eagles in 2017.
The midfielder made his AFL debut in 2018 and has played three games for the Eagles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if I'm the only one, but having a family happy-snap accompanying the article totally changed the way I read it. Like it was more of a puff piece rather than a serious story about a drug conviction.

Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back