Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Remove this Banner Ad

Aker said there is something in the run up. No ego involved in that.

I just want us to make the gf so my non refundable flights were a genius confidence act, not a waste of money.

Can you learn to strut? Aker was a champ at that, and it seems an appropriate skill for a goal kicking forward.

Don't think we want to be changing it too seriously.

The shorter forwards we know have the technique to kick accurately, Joe is Joe and Hippy hasn't been too bad but given he's so tall it's a miracle he kicks as straight as he does

Did Aker have any troubles in front of goals? I would place the opinion of someone who actually had goal kicking issues and rectified them much higher than someone like Aker who was always very skilful

Plus isn't he a dodgy real estate agent these days?

Don't think we want to be changing it too seriously.

The shorter forwards we know have the technique to kick accurately, Joe is Joe and Hippy hasn't been too bad but given he's so tall it's a miracle he kicks as straight as he does

Did Aker have any troubles in front of goals? I would place the opinion of someone who actually had goal kicking issues and rectified them much higher than someone like Aker who was always very skilful

Plus isn't he a dodgy real estate agent these days?

Lol Half the team are training in real estate. The dodgy Lions.

I really have no idea if it will help, but this year has scared me so that every time they line up I want to close my eyes and I do not want the crap that we will get from the media if we don't make the gf.

I really do think a lot of it is fatigue, so maybe it isn't wo4rth trying.

I have no idea.

Last edited:
Sorry, what are the good points?

If it's mental though will he be teaching our guys to be more like him?

I would've thought if it's a confidence issue having the biggest ego in Australia would be useful, but can you teach that?
Agree and his personality probably clashes with how our team and coaches operate. I thought his comments regarding not having any ex-players in the coaching ranks who were good shots at goal were fair. He thinks it's technique based so he's obviously noticed something.

For what it's worth, I think it's all between the ears

Agree and his personality probably clashes with how our team and coaches operate. I thought his comments regarding not having any ex-players in the coaching ranks who were good shots at goal were fair. He thinks it's technique based so he's obviously noticed something.

For what it's worth, I think it's all between the ears

He's trying to stay relevant

Cam Bruce kicked over 200 goals and was very skilful IIRC

Almost entirely mental imo. No way professional footballers kick as poorly as what we saw on the weekend, or have seen previously unless they're freezing up brain-wise. Now, maybe it might take a technique tweak to get the confidence back and if it works then hallelujah. Wish Haso was around to back me up.

Almost entirely mental imo. No way professional footballers kick as poorly as what we saw on the weekend, or have seen previously unless they're freezing up brain-wise. Now, maybe it might take a technique tweak to get the confidence back and if it works then hallelujah. Wish Haso was around to back me up.
That is as obvious as dogs testicles Mr Rip, well said.

I like this theory - to break a mental tick you just give someone a small change that they think makes the difference - like Dumbo with his magic feather I suppose. If we see Lions players tugging their left ear lobe gently before running in to kick for goal we'll know it's their magic feather solution!

On the sell out crowds and positive impact that’ll have to the bottom line…. I haven’t been able to locate the financial statements for the prior year. I’m a voting member but can’t recall seeing an email with them. Can any shed light on it for me?
Last few years they've released the financial statements with the notice of the annual general meeting in an email in early January.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Behind a paywall unfortunately
His senior teammates have borne the brunt of criticism for the inaccurate goal kicking that cost Brisbane a place in the top four, but young Lion Logan Morris says he is just as much to blame.
The Lions locked in a home elimination final with the win over Essendon on Saturday, however coach Chris Fagan lamented the previous two defeats to Collingwood and GWS as games they could and should have won if not for wayward shots at goal.
A candid Morris told this masthead he was disappointed in his goal kicking after the win over Essendon, which featured two set shot misses that skewed wildly off the boot.
On each occasion Morris was visibly frustrated with himself and that disappointment remained after the match.
“Obviously at the start of the year that was definitely a problem and probably for about two months we had a real emphasis on trying to nail that, so we did a lot of extra craft before training and after training,” Morris said.
“The last couple of weeks we have slipped away a bit – especially myself. I’m definitely disappointed with the way I’m kicking my set shots because I know I’m a pretty good set shot.
“I just have to keep backing myself in and move on. That was the big focus for this week, was that we were going to make mistakes – it’s normal – it’s how we move on and focus on the next moment (that is important).”
Clearly his own harshest critic, Morris conceded the mental side of set shots was a factor – but he was confident both he and his teammates could remedy the issue.
“Yeah definitely a bit of that creeps in,” he said.
“You try your best to go back to your routine and nail the set shot. Obviously (against Essendon) I was pretty poor, but we’ll get to work, have a week off, refresh and go again.”
Morris is one of the feel-good stories of the season.
Certainly the means in which he made his AFL debut against Gold Coast in round 8 will go down in Brisbane folklore.
With a belly full of Maccas and spicy soup from the club doctor, Morris settled into his usual pre-match routine as an emergency – only to be pulled into the team moments before the first bounce after Brandon Starcevich injured his calf in the warm-up.
With Will Ashcroft’s boots on his feet and his pre-match meal churning away, Morris marked a memorable debut with a goal in the 34-point win.
Luckily his family, who had travelled up from Melbourne to watch him play VFL earlier that day, were in the stands to watch their son make the most unlikely of AFL starts.
“That debut game was something I’ll remember forever,” Morris said.
“My Nan is probably the one that brings it up the most. She loves it.
“People still come up to me today and talk to me about that day. It’s unbelievable how that happened – and to now find myself in the team and hopefully playing in my first final, it’s pretty crazy how far I have come this year. I’m super grateful and can’t wait.”
Morris has missed just one game since then and, all going well, will run out for his first AFL final next Saturday against Carlton at the Gabba.
“I never thought I’d be playing a final in my first year, so I’m super stoked,” he said.
“I can’t wait to come into finals and see how far this group can go.
“Obviously I came into this year trying to learn off the experienced players, trying to get as much knowledge as I could.
“I still sit down with the coaches each week. I have a lot of growth to go and I think that’s the most exciting thing, is that I’m still young. I’m in a hurry to get better each week and see where my footy can take me.”

7 News: Two Lions are swapping their playing boots for their coaches hats in the lead up to the finals. Jarryd Lyons and Oscar McInerney are joining forces with Brisbane's women's team, who know a thing or two about winning premierships.

7 News: Two Lions are swapping their playing boots for their coaches hats in the lead up to the finals. Jarryd Lyons and Oscar McInerney are joining forces with Brisbane's women's team, who know a thing or two about winning premierships.
i think JL has traits that a lot of the better modern coaches do... limited player who plugged away and carved a real niche for himself based on his strengths. managed to become an AA squad player based largely on his footy iq. seems to lead well in the vfl and has spoken in the past that hes happy to go down to that level and be a contributor.

im generally opposed to recruiting from inhouse but i wouldnt be opposed to JL transitioning to that skills / development role rich had for 5 minutes with the mens whilst maintaining involvement with the womens + vfl program.

Lloyd, the 2000 Essendon premiership hero and three-time Coleman medallist as the AFL's leading goalkicker, has established himself as one of the footy's sharpest thinkers.
Amazing that they can even seriously write that. Lloyd is nothing short but bias, has many axes to grind and isn't really insightful. Even more beweildering is that he's some how fraudulently forged a career in the media and is on so mediums from afl.com.au programs to practically all channel 9 programs with the exception of Footy Furnace. I'd even go as so far as say he is even less insightful that Cotchin and Selwood on the train wreck that is Talking Footy in which Brayshaw and Watson are even less insightful again. Amaizing how low the bar is for some of these so called éxperts'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back