Irving Mosquito, we hardly knew ye: Essendon bid and Hawthorn passes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets get this straight we pulled out of the Shiel deal. The price was too high for us we wanted to retain our first rounder next year
Yeah thats why Shiel had to ring you blokes to say he was coming to Essendon. Coz you'd already pulled out.
Hawks don’t do sentiment. Dodoro tried to milk us going early like he did with SOS’ boy a couple years ago. We didn’t blink.

Good luck to Mosquito. He has the coolest name in the football and seems a great kid.
Its been said in this thread he knew before hand you wouldn't match. He didn't pull one over the Hawks and you didn't call his bluff.

Simply we rated him higher then you.

i dont want to pot the kid, but i went to see him live a few times and was not very impressed, i wish him all the best at Essendon and im glad our recruiting team has a spine...

btw the media beat up caused Essendon to pull the trigger, im glad we dont fall for the media BS like other clubs.

Essendon list manager Adrian Dodoro said they were determined to not let Carlton recruit Silvagni with a later draft pick.

“I just want to keep the opposition down the road honest, that’s all,”
“We weren’t going to let them get away with murder."
He did a great Job against the Swans

Yeah thats why Shiel had to ring you blokes to say he was coming to Essendon. Coz you'd already pulled out.
We'd already pulled out, it's fact, he was likely just doing the polite thing after having so many discussions with Clarkson over a period of months. Just ask grizzlym.

I know the draft is crammed full of kids with unknown potential, but I feel this one's gonna bite us. Good luck Irv.

Who cares mate, we didn’t pick him, he plays for someone else.

We have our own players to support.

and why would dodo throw a surprise fist pump if he knew we werent matching

I heard Dodoro say on the radio last night that Graham Wright told him they wouldn’t match an early bid, but his take was that with everything that goes on with draft day, the player or players that the Hawks may have wanted ahead of Irving could have been taken by other clubs. Consequently, we may have gone back to Irving with our NGA pick. He said Essendon rated Irving the best small forward in the draft for this year and on potential talent inside the top 20. Their plan is to have a forward line of Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Irving Mosquito.

I think it shows what a class act Graham Wright is; he is not someone who wastes time dicking people around, trying to be to clever with B.S. and useless subterfuge. When you look at the lies the Port List Manager went on with Burton, where he outright lied and tried to pin it on us that it was HFC that suggested Burton it was laughable. After the trade was done he said straight out that they had been into him for a few years. It worked out this time, well done, but I know who will still be working in this industry in 10 years time - Graham Wright.

So it’s sad for us he didn’t make it to the Hawks, but a fantastic result that he fulfilled a childhood dream to play with the Bombers. That video is really fantastic, thank you so much for sharing Gold Member.

Last edited:
We'd already pulled out, it's fact, he was likely just doing the polite thing after having so many discussions with Clarkson over a period of months. Just ask grizzlym.
We've had discussions about what defines the word fact before. It appears you didn't listen. ;)

We've had discussions about what defines the word fact before. It appears you didn't listen. ;)
No winks or special emojis needed here.

Fact, Hawthorn had already pulled out. We know this because Carlton staffers were in celebration mode.

No winks or special emojis needed here.

Fact, Hawthorn had already pulled out. We know this because Carlton staffers were in celebration mode.
Ok. :)

Believe what Abasi is writing or not. Fact is you're on Hawthorn board. If you don't want to accept it then refrain from posting further on this board.

Seems most of the excitement over on the Essendon board is centred around thinking they finally got one over us for a change. They seem to be overlooking the fact that we had the ability to match their bid but chose not to. And by doing so allowed us to get a good sized key defender who had slid from top 30 estimations.

We got who we wanted and needed. And from my understanding they were in need of small forwards so they got who they wanted and needed. But only one of us had to use a pick much earlier than what was expected from many pre-draft player rankings.

Seems most of the excitement over on the Essendon board is centred around thinking they finally got one over us for a change. They seem to be overlooking the fact that we had the ability to match their bid but chose not to. And by doing so allowed us to get a good sized key defender who had slid from top 30 estimations.

We got who we wanted and needed. And from my understanding they were in need of small forwards so they got who they wanted and needed. But only one of us had to use a pick much earlier than what was expected from many pre-draft player rankings.

We told Dodoro we’d pass. He thought we were bluffing. Have it on good authority.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i dont want to pot the kid, but i went to see him live a few times and was not very impressed, i wish him all the best at Essendon and im glad our recruiting team has a spine...

btw the media beat up caused Essendon to pull the trigger, im glad we dont fall for the media BS like other clubs.
I think Essendon recruiting department’s assessment of Mosquito’s talent and potential probably caused them to “pull the trigger”, as opposed to any online media articles being written.....

They were trying to make us pay.

Let’s see how it works out.

So they were bidding more than they actually think he’s worth just to make sure Hawthorn - largely a non-threat in the current draft - pay more to get him?

It’s not out of the question, given it’s essendon, but still ...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So they were bidding more than they actually think he’s worth just to make sure Hawthorn - largely a non-threat in the current draft - pay more to get him?

It’s not out of the question, given it’s essendon, but still ...

Have you read his quotes around the Jack Silvagni bid years ago? It’s what he does. He’s a fn flog.

Have you read his quotes around the Jack Silvagni bid years ago? It’s what he does. He’s a fn flog.

No disputing that, though I don’t have much faith in anything he says being true, including around Silvagni.

Surely essendon were happy to get Mosquito (and Silvagni) for the price they bid. It’s a no risk strategy - unless they are doing it solely to make Hawthorn pay more than they want, then it’s a f**cking stupid plan. I just doubt that’s the case.

I'm surprised someone with such good intel on Adrian's thoughts is seemingly unaware of the relationship he has with the Slivagni's.

No disputing that, though I don’t have much faith in anything he says being true, including around Silvagni.

Surely essendon were happy to get Mosquito (and Silvagni) for the price they bid. It’s a no risk strategy - unless they are doing it solely to make Hawthorn pay more than they want, then it’s a f**cking stupid plan. I just doubt that’s the case.

Would be a mixture of both.

Would’ve thought they need inside mids. Outside of Shiel and Merrett, their midfield is rubbish.

I'm surprised someone with such good intel on Adrian's thoughts is seemingly unaware of the relationship he has with the Slivagni's.

He admitted to the media at the time, he bid to keep them honest. Turns out the kid was a bust anyway.

I never reveal my sources here , but let’s just say your mate Dodo is a dickhead, with little respect in the industry. I’ll leave it at that.

He admitted to the media at the time, he bid to keep them honest. Turns out the kid was a bust anyway.

I never reveal my sources here , but let’s just say your mate Dodo is a dickhead, with little respect in the industry. I’ll leave it at that.
Of course he had told the Silvagnis at dinner at their house 2 nights before the draft that he would be bidding if Jack was still available at that pick. But you probably know that already?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back