Opinion Is father-son access going to heavily dictate the next decade of premiers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely it’s a mini-industry in and of itself which is a great point and as you say it will never be gotten rid of. And I’m not saying it should as such I just don’t really agree with the fundamental principle of it.

In advertising there is a saying.

A bad ad can be the best ad.

Because it gets people's attention and reactions.

The AFL draft process is a diabolical steaming pile of shite.

But the AFL doesn't agree nor care. What shite for some clubs isn't bad for the AFL. They get teams they want playing finals and grand finals. And the crap draft and trade system gets plenty of clicks and coverage for the AFL.

They are laughing all the way to the bank and their personal bonuses going up.

Last edited:
I don't follow a specific club.

Regarding the rest of your post....It felt wrong to me that Geelong didn't win the flag in 1989. It felt wrong to me that St Kilda didn't win the flag in 2009.
It felt wrong to me that Greg Williams didn't win the Brownlow in 1993 or whenever it was that Wanganeen won it.

But the thought that the AFL would introduce rules to appease my notions of romance is just utterly unthinkable for a professional sporting code.
If you don't follow a club you wouldn't get it.

Are you saying if the daicos brothers weren’t drafted to Collingwood they d never have the chance to play for their dads club ever again??

That’s some real next level ignorant bizarreness going on right there…

Oh and btw you want to know just how much the rule should remain for such noble reasons like the “romanticism” of it and maintaining the fabric is ?

There’s a young player at your club atm, one of your most promising, his dad was freos inaugural captain , coached the club , been board member for 15+ years , vice president and only play 47 games for the club due to a degenerative knee condition .

Has his NAME on medal in honour of his football club for the BOF in the derby

His family on his dads side had Fremantle football heritage running through their veins through south Fremantle

Truly FFC royalty…

but guess what ?,just because he couldn’t play another couple seasons he goes into the draft to be ironically picked up gleefully by a club that’s one of the staunchest in defending the so called “integrity “ and rights of the f/s rule

Yeah that rule sure is sacred and would surely destroy the “fabric” of the competition if it was scrapped !
So you'd prefer a scenario where a Daicos or a Silvagni is drafted by force to a club, and then leaves that club to return to their fathers club (which as you say is an option and is likely a driving factor for those players to play at the club their father played at and they likely grew up supporting) after their two year contract? Where that club would just then complain that the player they spent a high pick on forced their way out of the club. We'd have minnows whinging "its not fair that this player wants to go to Collingwood and Collingwood aren't giving us fair value because they player is out of contract and has nominated them" wah wah.

So you'd prefer a scenario where a Daicos or a Silvagni is drafted by force to a club, and then leaves that club to return to their fathers club (which as you say is an option and is likely a driving factor for those players to play at the club their father played at and they likely grew up supporting) after their two year contract? Where that club would just then complain that the player they spent a high pick on forced their way out of the club. We'd have minnows whinging "its not fair that this player wants to go to Collingwood and Collingwood aren't giving us fair value because they player is out of contract and has nominated them" wah wah.
1. Every player is drafted by force. That's the way rules work.

2. In your scenario, the club that had drafted the Daicos or Silvagni would be compensated. Richmond will receive no compensation for Ashcroft. North Melbourne did receive compensation for Horne-Francis. There is also the possibility that the Daicos or Silvagni likes their new club and decides to stay. Either way it would be fairer than the current situation where Richmond have no access to the best player in the draft despite finishing last.

1. Every player is drafted by force. That's the way rules work.

2. In your scenario, the club that had drafted the Daicos or Silvagni would be compensated. Richmond will receive no compensation for Ashcroft. North Melbourne did receive compensation for Horne-Francis. There is also the possibility that the Daicos or Silvagni likes their new club and decides to stay. Either way it would be fairer than the current situation where Richmond have no access to the best player in the draft despite finishing last.
You won't be saying this when Riewoldt's sons are available.

Just focus on what your club can control and stop asking for hand outs from the rest of the competition.

You won't be saying this when Riewoldt's sons are available.

Just focus on what your club can control and stop asking for hand outs from the rest of the competition.

Know our place. Right.

I am on the record on Riewoldt's sons: my joy at watching St Kilda players succeed does not change due to their parentage.

I am a realist, so know that the most money is made from big drawing games on Friday nights, but also that to a certain extent, it it a self-fulfilling prophesy, where the rich get richer from those games. So while St Kilda are ensuring the TV rights are where they need to be by guaranteeing that ninth game of the weekend on a Sunday twilight at Docklands against a non-Victorian team, I think a little equalisation cash is more than fair.

But we will continue to control what we can control: winning games where we have nothing to play for against teams with everything to play for. You are only as good as your last game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is father-son access going to heavily dictate the next decade of premiers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back