Is free agency interesting?

Do you find free agency interesting?

• Yes

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 48.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Judd was a bit different as he wanted to return to Melbourne for family reasons rather than money.

Saints supporters don't hold a grudge against Cripps for returning to Perth for family reasons, Goddard going to Essendon for more money isn't viewed as favourably although personally I don't begrudge him taking a better offer, I still don't like seeing him playing for another club though.

Your original statement was "from a supporter point of view it sucks seeing your favourite players running around for another team." Chris Judd fit the category of favourite players.

A both interesting and enjoyable experience don't buy the loyalty argument so much no shortage of clubs that shaft players when it suits them... Maybe shaft is too strong a word you look at the due diligence issue with Essendon and the Crows off loading Bernie for a draft pick that they thought could be traded to Brisbane for Polac and on the flip side no shortage of players at most clubs that could get better money elsewhere but choose to stay with the clubs they are with. At Power Boak and Westhoff maybe but I think all clubs have a few.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The big thing free agency lacks is full disclosure of contracts. Fans can't properly judge their football departments because we don't know who's getting paid what and that ultimately is what drives free agency.

Hard for clubs to easily free up liquid cash with some creative contracts due to the 95% spend of the cap rule.

Making big plays for FA requires a good accountant and contract foresight more than anything.

I'm sure the players like free agency as it gives them more freedom to move between clubs and maximise their pay but from a supporter point of view it sucks seeing your favourite players running around for another team.

If Dean Cox switched to Freo because they offered him more money I can't imagine West Coast supporters would like it.

we would laugh our arses off. mainly because its freo and the joke is ALWAYS on them.

I hate it, and personally wish the players were treated as assets like in some other big sports, baseball jumps to mind. The fact that individuals can screw a whole team around like that is bullshit IMO. You get paid that much you should do what you are told.

This would also work in making the league more equal as clubs like Brisbane wouldn't have to worry about prima donnas leaving while being paid $80k a year to train and go out with friends (oh no, how horrible that must be!)

League also needs to step up and stop players cheating the draft system like Luke Ball did a few years ago now.

Clubs have never been loyal to their players.
How about clubs that keep paying injured players who will never come back? Clubs that basically spend ridiculous amounts of money to try and help fix up players personal lives (Martin for example).

Clubs do plenty for their players, not all the time but more then most players would do for the clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate it, and personally wish the players were treated as assets like in some other big sports, baseball jumps to mind. The fact that individuals can screw a whole team around like that is bullshit IMO. You get paid that much you should do what you are told.

This would also work in making the league more equal as clubs like Brisbane wouldn't have to worry about prima donnas leaving while being paid $80k a year to train and go out with friends (oh no, how horrible that must be!)

League also needs to step up and stop players cheating the draft system like Luke Ball did a few years ago now.

I'd like to see it go the full circle like it does in the NBA, where a player is just told, "Sorry, tomorrow your suiting up for another franchise across the other side of the country. Thanks, and don't let the door smack you in the rump on your way out". Can you imagine the home sick mummy boys of the AFL putting up with that? Free agency would be dismantled overnight.

At the moment it's all one way, geared towards the player. I'd like to see clubs have some say in the matter.

I'd like to see it go the full circle like it does in the NBA, where a player is just told, "Sorry, tomorrow your suiting up for another franchise across the other side of the country. Thanks, and don't let the door smack you in the rump on your way out". Can you imagine the home sick mummy boys of the AFL putting up with that? Free agency would be dismantled overnight.

At the moment it's all one way, geared towards the player. I'd like to see clubs have some say in the matter.

Big difference between trading a player on 50k and telling them to move interstate compared to someone earning a league minimum 500k in the NBA.

They can easily afford to put themselves up in another state. Earning what some AFL players do and being told to move interstate could simply become financially unaffordable for some.

Big difference between trading a player on 50k and telling them to move interstate compared to someone earning a league minimum 500k in the NBA.

They can easily afford to put themselves up in another state. Earning what some AFL players do and being told to move interstate could simply become financially unaffordable for some.

No difference

Delisted free agency status is a better addition. Allows deserved flexibility and security to player and club.

As for typical free agency, some clubs have/will use it smartly, others will do it to throw money at a problem without fixing the underlying issues.

Interesting?

276966-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Why yes. Yes it is.
Looking forward to seeing him line up against his old club this week?

Oh wait..............

Will you now please tell us the one about goldilocks and the three bears?

I'm sure Judd would have made big money if he stayed at West Coast, the main reason he left was to move back to Melbourne for family reasons. He'd already moved back there before he decided to go to Carlton with their Visy deal so money wasn't really a factor in him moving, he was going to get big money wherever he went as he was the no.1 player in the game back then.

Looking forward to seeing him line up against his old club this week?

Oh wait..............

Not quite sure how you think that's a wicked burn. Bloke is a better player now than he ever was at the Saints.

And the margin would just be greater.....

Not quite sure how you think that's a wicked burn. Bloke is a better player now than he ever was at the Saints.

And the margin would just be greater.....

No he isn't, he was playing better footy back in 2009/10 when he was All Australian.

When have you seen Goddard take a hanger on someone's shoulders at Essendon like he did at St Kilda? He's still a good player but doesn't have the athleticism and leap that he had when he was younger.

No he isn't, he was playing better footy back in 2009/10 when he was All Australian.

When have you seen Goddard take a hanger on someone's shoulders at Essendon like he did at St Kilda? He's still a good player but doesn't have the athleticism and leap that he had when he was younger.

Christ you blokes are reaching.

A hanger? So I need to point to a hanger to show he's a better player now??

Back