Is free agency interesting?

Do you find free agency interesting?

• Yes

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 48.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure free agency is supposed to be interesting. The point of Free Agency is to give greater power to the players. Free agency is the AFL throwing players a bone so the AFLPA doesn't take them to the high court to test them out for restraint of trade.

I'm sure Judd would have made big money if he stayed at West Coast, the main reason he left was to move back to Melbourne for family reasons. He'd already moved back there before he decided to go to Carlton with their Visy deal so money wasn't really a factor in him moving, he was going to get big money wherever he went as he was the no.1 player in the game back then.

Stop speaking sense. The bloke wants to hear fairytales.

Stop speaking sense. The bloke wants to hear fairytales.
You can't blame people for questioning the circumstances behind Judd ending up at Carlton, of all places.

You can't blame people for questioning the circumstances behind Judd ending up at Carlton, of all places.

Sure I can. I mean just look at your post ... "Carlton of all places". Just loaded with suspicion, insinuation and not much rational thinking.

Plugger on the other hand was actually reasoning his way through it. But it seems some prefer the fairytale.

Sure I can. I mean just look at your post ... "Carlton of all places". Just loaded with suspicion, insinuation and not much rational thinking.
Sure. And not at all loaded with the historically true implication that Carlton have no regard for the salary cap, designated to get a reaction out of one of the board's famed Carlton militants.

It almost already happened. Lake, while not a free agent, his transfer to Hawthorn was largely made possible due to free agency.
Glad both sides can walk away happy with that deal. Lake was mentally finished at the Dogs and arguably was the key to Hawthorn winning the flag, and we've acquired two good younger players in Stevens and Hrovat as a result.

Sure. And not at all loaded with the historically true implication that Carlton have no regard for the salary cap ...

What you're talking about is a Carlton administration that isn't even at the club anymore. As I said, Plugger was reasoning his way through it. Some people though want to abandon reason and sign up for the more sensationalist angle and a vibe they have based mostly on nonsense.

What you're talking about is a Carlton administration that isn't even at the club anymore. As I said, Plugger was reasoning his way through it. Some people though want to abandon reason and sign up for the more sensationalist angle and a vibe they have based mostly on nonsense.
This I agree with.

It almost already happened. Lake, while not a free agent, his transfer to Hawthorn was largely made possible due to free agency.

Yeah, as you said, not a free agent. But it's only a matter of time before something similar results from free agency. This whole "you don't buy premierships in modern footy" regarding free agency acquisitions, is ironically set to become the outdated concept itself. The key is going to smart acquisitions like Lake's that add to key areas of weakness in your team, rather than just picking up a player coz he's a star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, as you said, not a free agent. But it's only a matter of time before something similar results from free agency. This whole "you don't buy premierships in modern footy" regarding free agency acquisitions, is ironically set to become the outdated concept itself. The key is going to smart acquisitions like Lake's that add to key areas of weakness in your team, rather than just picking up a player coz he's a star.

With compensation picks in play, it could also be possible to sell your way to a premiership also. On the whole i think it will make the list building and rebuilding side of footy more interesting.

Nope. It's extremely boring.

Doesn't come close to the hype surrounding NFL free agency, NBA free agency and the transfer season in European football.

There are massive changes in these things, unlike the AFL which is always going to be destined to have one or two major moves.

If the coverage was better, I'd probably find it more interesting.

Same as the Draft and the Whole Off-Season. It get's nothing like what the Coverage is OverSeas

Remove this Banner Ad

Is free agency interesting?

Back