Is free agency interesting?

Do you find free agency interesting?

• Yes

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 48.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How many All Australian selections has Goddard won at Essendon?

Couldn't give a toss how many. You are welcome to reference my many excellent and informative posts on the exact value of All-Australian selections.

free agency is interesting when the club you support is bringing in a player. its sucks when the club you support loses a player. Overall though, with the salary cap there wont be too much high end movement but alot of average free agents will move clubs. I think it went for a month last year and was extremely boring

Couldn't give a toss how many. You are welcome to reference my many excellent and informative posts on the exact value of All-Australian selections.

So what proof do you have to back up your opinion that Goddard is a better player at Essendon?

None obviously.

So what proof do you have to back up your opinion that Goddard is a better player at Essendon?

None obviously.

Proof?

Can I PROVE that Hird>Voss>Buckley?

Can I PROVE that Riewoldt is the best CHF since Carey?

Such a weak discussion/argument. The go to point of the feeble that simply can't handle the discussion point.

Proof?

Can I PROVE that Hird>Voss>Buckley?

Can I PROVE that Riewoldt is the best CHF since Carey?

Such a weak discussion/argument. The go to point of the feeble that simply can't handle the discussion point.

You're the one that made a statement that you can't back up now that I've called you out on it.

You should probably quit before you embarrass yourself any further.

So far, Hawthorn has lost Lance Franklin, Xavier Ellis, Clinton Young, Tom Murphy and Stephen Gilham to free agency.

In return, we have been 'compensated' pick 19 for all five (whilst Colin Sylvia on his own fetched pick 23).

'Interesting' is not the word I would use.

(Confident the worm will turn though)

LOL goddard better at essendon than he ever was at saints...

that's made my day.

Really?

Maybe its just me, but if I lost my second to best player to a larger club when the loss would most heavily be felt, I'd be pretty upset over it.

Really?

Maybe its just me, but if I lost my second to best player to a larger club when the loss would most heavily be felt, I'd be pretty upset over it.
I wasn't happy with it, but reality was he was never going to be around for our next crack at a flag, and he wanted one for himself. we got a late first rounder compensation, even though he was probably worth a little more. it was a win-win situation for both clubs.

but that doesn't mean he is better now. **** me, he was in discussions as being the #1 player in the league circa 2010, he wouldn't even be our best player now.

It's interesting when someone as Daisy as Thomas gets 700k per year where on current form his worth is around $350K. That's the future of the game though. People stands to make a lot of money from free agency so it is here to stay and it will only become "freer" every year. It doesn't attract as much interest as European football or NBA yet because in those two, there are some serious transactions worth $100s of millions of dollars these days.

I wasn't happy with it, but reality was he was never going to be around for our next crack at a flag, and he wanted one for himself. we got a late first rounder compensation, even though he was probably worth a little more. it was a win-win situation for both clubs.

but that doesn't mean he is better now. **** me, he was in discussions as being the #1 player in the league circa 2010, he wouldn't even be our best player now.

He wasn't your best player then either. Riewoldt is a ****ing gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

truth...

riewoldt was injured most of 2010 with that hammy from memory though.

Yeah his output dropped in 2010.

Doing his legacy no harm at the front of a (lets face it) rather average team at the moment. He's a beast.

So far, Hawthorn has lost Lance Franklin, Xavier Ellis, Clinton Young, Tom Murphy and Stephen Gilham to free agency.

In return, we have been 'compensated' pick 19 for all five (whilst Colin Sylvia on his own fetched pick 23).

'Interesting' is not the word I would use.

(Confident the worm will turn though)
You basically got Lake for such a cheap price because of the threat of FA though.

Really?

Of course I wasn't happy at the time, but that is long past over. Players have left us before and will leave us again. Given our need to rebuild, the loss hasn't been felt as keenly as it might have if we were still up at the top. In fact, he probably would have been moved on anyway before too long.

I dispute that he was our second best player. Top 5 when he could be stuffed putting an effort in, but just barely.

I dispute that he was our second best player. Top 5 when he could be stuffed putting an effort in, but just barely.

That's absolutely absurd IMO.

I can happily concede that Riewoldt (whilst a different player) was your number one guy, you'd have a VERY tough time arguing that any other player was superior - let alone the THREE others you are clearly implying were better.

That's revisionist junk.

Christ you blokes are reaching.

A hanger? So I need to point to a hanger to show he's a better player now??

Admittedly Plugger probably shouldn't have used the hanger to show he was a better player back at the Saints. But certainly Goddard over the last couple of years has lost a yard or two of pace, lost a bit of that athleticism now. Goddard has definitely played more midfield while at the Dons, but his year in 2010 was probably his most damaging off both the HBF and the Wing.

That year he probably could have won a brownlow, but when you have Lenny Hayes, Joey Montagna and Dal Santo stealing votes off him, it gets pretty damn difficult.

Goddard didn't even make the squad of 40 last year for the AA. So he needs to do a lot more for your mob, until you can say that he's become a better player. And you also don't take into consideration that apart from Jobe Watson, last year, you really had no other A-Grade Midfielders (dont yell at me, Heppell and Zaharakis could be A graders eventually but they aren't quite there yet imo). Goddard was more dominant and influential at the Saints (could win a game off his own boot), despite Joey and co being there to help. Good on him for turning his career around, cos he had really stalled after the 2010 GF.

Admittedly Plugger probably shouldn't have used the hanger to show he was a better player back at the Saints. But certainly Goddard over the last couple of years has lost a yard or two of pace, lost a bit of that athleticism now. Goddard has definitely played more midfield while at the Dons, but his year in 2010 was probably his most damaging off both the HBF and the Wing.

That year he probably could have won a brownlow, but when you have Lenny Hayes, Joey Montagna and Dal Santo stealing votes off him, it gets pretty damn difficult.

Goddard didn't even make the squad of 40 last year for the AA. So he needs to do a lot more for your mob, until you can say that he's become a better player. And you also don't take into consideration that apart from Jobe Watson, last year, you really had no other A-Grade Midfielders (dont yell at me, Heppell and Zaharakis could be A graders eventually but they aren't quite there yet imo). Goddard was more dominant and influential at the Saints (could win a game off his own boot), despite Joey and co being there to help. Good on him for turning his career around, cos he had really stalled after the 2010 GF.

Solid post. I concede that Goddard was a ****ing animal in 2010; and as such withdraw my statement that he is 'better at Essendon than he ever was at the Saints'.

I would however, add the caveat that he is certainly better now than he was when he finished at the Saints.

That's absolutely absurd IMO.

I can happily concede that Riewoldt (whilst a different player) was your number one guy, you'd have a VERY tough time arguing that any other player was superior - let alone the THREE others you are clearly implying were better.

That's revisionist junk.
Well, I was the one who watched the team week in and week out for the duration of his career, so I think I have the right to state my case. Regardless of your (obviously less informed) opinion, that case remains made.

I never rated him consistently amongst our best, nor do I think he put 100% effort in every game.

Solid post. I concede that Goddard was a ****ing animal in 2010; and as such withdraw my statement that he is 'better at Essendon than he ever was at the Saints'.

I would however, add the caveat that he is certainly better now than he was when he finished at the Saints.

100% agree. He lost his appetite for the contest in 2012. He was as soft as butter, which was a shame. He really should have stepped up, but he instead stepped back. Good on you guys for getting the most out of him.

Well, I was the one who watched the team week in and week out for the duration of his career, so I think I have the right to state my case. Regardless of your (obviously less informed) opinion, that case remains made.

I never rated him consistently amongst our best, nor do I think he put 100% effort in every game.

Finished third in your B&F in 2010, second in 2009.

I say again, your claim is absolutely absurd.

Finished third in your B&F in 2010, second in 2009.

I say again, your claim is absolutely absurd.
I actually already knew that, and I still stand by what I have said.

Deal with it. Or don't, I actually couldn't care less.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is free agency interesting?

Back