Is Josh Kennedy the best tall forward in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

I will base this off of the top 11 teams - teams who are finalists or in contention to make the finals.
For teams who are top 11 I haven't included the 12th team on the ladder.

35/59 Daniher goals against top 11 ~ 3.18 average a game from 11 matches vs top 11 sides
36/51 Brown goals against top 11 ~ 2.76 average a game from 13 matches vs top 11 sides
25/60 Kennedy goals against top 11 ~ 3.12 average a game from 8 matches vs top 11 sides
32/56 Franklin goals against top 11 ~ 2.90 average a game from 11 matches vs top 11 sides
Context is a wonderful thing though. Four of the five games JK missed were top 11 sides. He can't kick goals if he ain't playing.

I don't know how many times in the last few years, in the other JK thread someone has posted right now, no one really thinks Kennedy has had a better career than Franklin.

But it's kind of silly to doubt Kennedy hasn't been the best forward of the last 2-3 years.
So right now is the last 2-3 years. Seems pretty convinient to claim that after what you've said.

Franklin is a better forward than Kennedy, even if we solely look at goals. Kennedy has outperformed franklin the past few years, but on current pace won't be better over his career.

You were 5th last year. Around where you finished on the ladder. Just as you are this year.
If Kennedy played a full year and still had a 4.0 average you would be 5th this year. (That's a stretch)
You have the best current single forward in the game
You are not even close to the top forward lines. You're mid table.
I get that you've gone all cheer squad nuffie, but please be slightly impartial
You were 5th last year. Around where you finished on the ladder. Just as you are this year.
If Kennedy played a full year and still had a 4.0 average you would be 5th this year. (That's a stretch)
You have the best current single forward in the game
You are not even close to the top forward lines. You're mid table.
I get that you've gone all cheer squad nuffie, but please be slightly impartial
** one of the best. I didn't say best

20/46 Hawkins goals against top 11 ~ 2.22 average a game from 9 matches vs top 11 sides
Thought he might of had a few more then that. You guys seems to get a more even spread mind you and those weeks out have hurt his tally.

So right now is the last 2-3 years. Seems pretty convinient to claim that after what you've said.

Franklin is a better forward than Kennedy, even if we solely look at goals. Kennedy has outperformed franklin the past few years, but on current pace won't be better over his career.
smi20.gif

So effectively the man who the Swans kick it to most of the time has more score involvements then a man who is not the sole big (adept) target up forward.

Whodathunkit :drunk::p

It has to be a chain. Gaff had 24 touches tonight and only 2 score involvements, Vardy had 12 touches and 7. Nobody thinks of Vardy as a guy who sets up goals.

Josh Kennedy is a gun player. If I wanted a forward to purely kick goals, he is the best in the competition and has been for the past 3 or so years.
In the modern game I don't think that's the only job of a forward and looking at the stats:
upload_2017-8-12_22-54-52.png

I still think Josh Kennedy is going extremely well this season. Unfortunately, his injuries for me would suggest that Franklin has been more valuable this season. Over the course of their career, I'd undoubtedly take Franklin, but I think the calls for Kennedy being a better forward this season aren't as farfetched as some may think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We get it, buddy left, you dislike this. It's okay mate, no need for the triggering
Just because I think someone that's kicking more goals than Buddy is better, doesn't mean I dislike him.

I let all my anger go about 2:30pm on the 27th September 2014.

Thought he might of had a few more then that. You guys seems to get a more even spread mind you and those weeks out have hurt his tally.
Yeah that sounds about right however I do believe he is in the second echelon of forwards with Jack Riewoldt and Taylor Walker.

Thought I'd do Taylor Walker because he has more goals than Hawkins

35/48 which is average of 3.18 from 11 matches vs top 11 sides. Same as Joe Daniher which isn't bad at all since most state that Taylor Walker hasn't lived up to the hype.

It has to be a chain. Gaff had 24 touches tonight and only 2 score involvements, Vardy had 12 touches and 7. Nobody thinks of Vardy as a guy who sets up goals.

Bit hard to win an argument though when some on here proclaim Buddy as better than Carey I suppose :drunk:

Though frankly I could have sworn Duck could mark above his head better then most not worse :D

Yeah that sounds about right however I do believe he is in the second echelon of forwards with Jack Riewoldt and Taylor Walker.

Thought I'd do Taylor Walker because he has more goals than Hawkins

35/48 which is average of 3.18 from 11 matches vs top 11 sides. Same as Joe Daniher which isn't bad at all since most state that Taylor Walker hasn't lived up to the hype.
Walker is a bit under the radar frankly. Crows are dominant right now and I believe Walker also has a massive raft of goal assists.

What are Jack Riewoldt stats vs top 11 sides?

Last edited:
24/43 J Riewoldt goals against top 11 ~ 2.18 average a game from 11 matches vs top 11 sides

Not too bad. He plays a bit up the ground these days and Richmond have gone away from being totally reliant on him

Jack still goes ok for a forward I reckon.

Buddy had 13 scoring involvements today , could piss the coleman in if he wanted, no one would take kennedy ahead of him surely

Kennedy is great , especially at home v dud teams
We won by less that three goals tonight. Kennedy kicked 6. May not have won without him. If we didn't have him we'd be worse than Carlton. Dudder than dud. Must be some player eh! ;)

I just laugh at some of these comments.

"He can't kick goals against top 8 sides"

Yes he can. He gets about 2 goals a game against them, which is what alot of forwards average against the best sides. If he kicked as many goals against the best teams as he did the bottom, and didnt miss 5 weeks of footy. Hed be leaning the coleman by 40 odd goals. Honestly, how high a bar you going to set the man?

Guy is straight up the best goal kick in the game. I wouldnt be surprised if he wins 4 colemans in a row with a fit 2018. He'll be in very rare company then.

Josh Kennedy is a gun player. If I wanted a forward to purely kick goals, he is the best in the competition and has been for the past 3 or so years.
In the modern game I don't think that's the only job of a forward and looking at the stats:
View attachment 403044

I still think Josh Kennedy is going extremely well this season. Unfortunately, his injuries for me would suggest that Franklin has been more valuable this season. Over the course of their career, I'd undoubtedly take Franklin, but I think the calls for Kennedy being a better forward this season aren't as farfetched as some may think.
So Franklin gets an extra 5 touches per game, with 2 of those being clangers?

Factor in an extra free against, as well.

Sweet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Josh Kennedy the best tall forward in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back