Is Josh Kennedy the best tall forward in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was right. I am always right.

Nickelback Is Underrated... And Here's Why
Discussion in 'Music' started by Always Ballin, Aug 1, 2017.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/nickelback-is-underrated-and-heres-why.1172938/

whiguyblink.gif

So Franklin gets an extra 5 touches per game, with 2 of those being clangers?

Factor in an extra free against, as well.

Sweet.

Factor in 5.3 Inside 50s, more disposals, double metres gained, more effective disposals as well?

Looking at the totals for this season here:
upload_2017-8-13_0-9-15.png
Buddy from a statistical perspective is far more dominant when looking at totals. If Kennedy stayed on the track and had equal games to Franklin, I reckon the claim that he has had a better season would be extremely hard to dispute. But part of being the best also includes staying on the park, which Kennedy hasn't done for 25% of the season.

Factor in 5.3 Inside 50s, more disposals, double metres gained, more effective disposals as well?

Looking at the totals for this season here:
View attachment 403058
Buddy from a statistical perspective is far more dominant when looking at totals. If Kennedy stayed on the track and had equal games to Franklin, I reckon the claim that he has had a better season would be extremely hard to dispute. But part of being the best also includes staying on the park, which Kennedy hasn't done for 25% of the season.
And still kicked more goals, thus making him the better forward. He'd probably be 20 goals ahead if he had actually stayed on the park. No one's disputing who the better player is, merely the better forward right now, which Buddy isn't.

Argument is right there

You don't make it when he kicks 6 goals at home against a possible wooden spoon team however.

He had 9 scoring shots from 46 inside 50's for the side. Of those 46 inside 50's 5 from memory were directly free kicks to carlton. So really it's 9 scoring shots from 41 inside 50's. Not bad when you consider Jamie Cripps kicked 3.1 and darling kicked 2.2 as well so not like he was the target of everything and a direct goal assist which provided the sealer.

In a team that is 14th for inside 50's per game. Oh and our other 3 main forwards have scored 38, 28 and 21 goals each for the season. If Kennedy had a decent midfield kicking the ball to him he would be scoring at the very least an extra goal a game. Top midfields as a general rule not only produce more inside 50's but better quality ones as well. We are 14th for inside 50's and 14th for least inside 50's conceded. Pretty easy to see our midfield is shithouse without nicnat papering over the cracks.

Buddy is the better player but you can't build a forward line around his play style. This is why the hawks became a better side once he left. His brilliance and ability as a player is unmatched in the league but it doesn't provide consistent results play to play. Discounting 2012 where Kennedy was injured most of the season since the start of 2011 his seasons have run as 59, 60, 61, 80, 82 and now 60 goals from 15 games this season. In a side that ran 4th, 13th, 9th, 2nd, 7th and at this stage 7th. So when west coast are shit he's great and when west coast are great he is great. Pure consistancy and workrate. His goal average has also improved every single season so as he gets older he's become a better player. Buddy started playing great footy at a young age, Kennedy had to grow into his body and become a man before he could provide great results but it's very hard to argue that Kennedy hasn't been the best performed forward of the last 3 years and consistency wise as good as buddy since 2011 in far worse sides for most of it.

Just because I think someone that's kicking more goals than Buddy is better, doesn't mean I dislike him.

I let all my anger go about 2:30pm on the 27th September 2014.
So you do think he's overall better?

Buddy led sydney to victory a month ago at spotless, lets see kennedy do it this week for the eagles

Buddy is an all time great, kennedy is a very good player
His rating as a great is based on his time before the Swans. Since moving Buddy has just been a very good player. Kennedy has had him covered.

I think JJK is the best KPF atm. I also think he is part of the most KPF-centric team in the AFL atm - not that there may be too much wrong with that.

Buddy probably still the best individual talent, Joey D on his way there but still some development left.

Tom Lynch in a much better team could surpass the lot.

Hogan, Cameron + Patton probably a step behind Joey atm but a lot of room to grow yet.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddy led sydney to victory a month ago at spotless, lets see kennedy do it this week for the eagles

If Kennedy gets a third Coleman that immediately puts him into all time great even if Buddy had a much better career.

3 Coleman's isn't easy no matter what era you're in. More so when they're all back to back.

Dick Lee 8
Gordon Coventry 6
John Coleman 5
Fred Fanning 4
Doug Wade 4
Peter Hudson 4
Tony Lockett 4
John Peck 3
Jason Dunstall 3
Gary Ablett Sr 3
Matthew Lloyd 3
Lance Franklin 3

That's illustrious company.

Only Dick Lee (1907-1910), Gordon Coventry (1926-1930), John Coleman (1949-1953), Fred Fanning (1943-1945), John Peck (1963-1965), Gary Ablett Sr (1993-1995) threepeated or more.

Hopefully JK gets a third straight to add to some nice history.

blame coaches and stupid tactics for key forwards not kicking more goals these days....most waste pointless energy running around as far as half back and are not closer to goal to add to their tally. Coaches have made the game harder than it actually has to be

You're 7th for points for, and just above melbourne...
That's some primary school level analysis right there. Far more factors into points for scores than quality of the forwardline. You know mids and backs can kick goals too? The midfield determines how many times the ball goes i50 and how good the delivery is, plus teams with a harder draw will generally have less points for. That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure theres another 10 factors.

That's some primary school level analysis right there. Far more factors into points for scores than quality of the forwardline. You know mids and backs can kick goals too? The midfield determines how many times the ball goes i50 and how good the delivery is, plus teams with a harder draw will generally have less points for. That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure theres another 10 factors.
I'm aware, but scoring is of major importance pretty obviously.
I was disputing that you have one of the best forward lines. As said you're mid table (and yes you're better than melbournes before someone jumps in)

I'm aware, but scoring is of major importance pretty obviously.
I was disputing that you have one of the best forward lines. As said you're mid table (and yes you're better than melbournes before someone jumps in)
You're better off considering that West Coast quite often seem to lose I50s yet win matches. That's a better indicator of West Coast's forward line strength.

14th in inside 50s yet 7th (or whatever you said) in scoring, while Melbourne are 6th in inside 50s. Looking at efficiency is probably a better indicator.

You're better off considering that West Coast quite often seem to lose I50s yet win matches. That's a better indicator of West Coast's forward line strength.

14th in inside 50s yet 7th (or whatever you said) in scoring, while Melbourne are 6th in inside 50s. Looking at efficiency is probably a better indicator.
Our forward entries and conversion are garbage. I wouldn't compare to us.

I still consider your forward line mid table (with one very very good target)

Our forward entries and conversion are garbage. I wouldn't compare to us.

I still consider your forward line mid table (with one very very good target)
West Coast's forward entries are no better. A bunch of ball butchers kicking forward.

That West Coast's forward line has been quite good over the past few years is a testament to their quality. They've had no favours from one of the competition's weakest midfields.

I don't think anyone disagrees with this.

Matt Priddis won the Brownlow in 2014 ahead of Fyfe, Ablett, Franklin and Dangerfield.

I don't think Priddis himself would lose any sleep at the suggestion he is the 5th best player in that group, but he was (in the eyes of the on field umpires) the best player that season.

Kennedy can be better than Franklin for a season or seasons while not having the superior career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Josh Kennedy the best tall forward in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back