Is Nick Reiwoldt a great player?

Remove this Banner Ad

And Coventry doesnt play either but does that stop him from being a great FF?

The Saints do not have a great CHF. They have a very good one. I think Bruce should bring back his "Carey would have kicked that" phrase and apply it to Riewoldt.

Oh so passionate about the man who ruined your club.

Oh so passionate about the man who ruined your club.

Ruined the club? Please explain.

More like passionate about the greatest CHF ever and one of the games greatest players.

Ruined the club? Please explain.

More like passionate about the greatest CHF ever and one of the games greatest players.

Yes he was a great player, one of the greatest ever. But he set the Kangas back 10 years, destroyed the fabric of the club, destroyed the brand. They may never recover.

Yes he was a great player, one of the greatest ever. But he set the Kangas back 10 years, destroyed the fabric of the club, destroyed the brand. They may never recover.

Who gives a shit about the brand?!:mad:

He destroyed the fabric of the club so bad that we have finished bottom each year since he left. Oh hang on we have made the finals 3 years since his departure. Silly me.

We got the No 2 pick in the draft for him and picked up a very good player in the process. Something we wouldnt have got if he stayed and just retired in a year or 2.

Of course he's a great player. Noone pretends he's some sort of all time great or should be compared to Carey et al...the bloke is what 25 ish ?..best yrs for a KP fwd in the modern game seem to be about 27-30 but he'll probably be playing closer to goal by then coz i cannot see any way he can sustain the workload he puts in most games.

There was a game he played v Freo at Subi early-mid season which was bizzarre to watch...classic butchering of a fwd. He did enough work to have a dozen marks and 4 goals by halftime but everything was fired over his head, to his fingertips, to the defenders advantage etc. Poor work by his mids musta frustrated the hell out of him but he kept it going. Thats what u need from your CHF. I remember almost feeling sorry for the bimbo.

The TRUE great plaers going around dont need to be compared to Ablett's and Carey's coz that idiotic. You just know each has their own strength and recognise them as stars that may end up greats of the game if they can sustain it over the yrs.

Saw an article in here from an WA interview with Ashley Hansen where he said he was modelling his game off him...long searching leads and high workrate. Travis Cloke is starting to look the goods in 07 and looks his best playing a similar role. Its a much more old fashioned CHF marking target role combined with huge workrate. You need a big KP forward behind you at the coalface to be able to do it.

Very good numbers when played close to goal and probably the best wet weather tall in the game from what i saw here in Sydney. Would have been an absolute killer >10 yrs ago on suburban grounds.

Dont see any part of his game worth criticising. Doesnt get a mention when he kicks 4-1 or 3-0 but cops a spray when he kicks 2-4. We all hate the bloke but there's not much point pretending he's not a great player.

11 pages for this? :rolleyes:

There's no doubt he's a current star of the game no matter how you look at it. Whether that makes him "great" is in the eye of the beholder, and is ultimately semantics. He's nowhere near an "all time great" yet, and may or may not ever be considered one. That's pretty rarified atmosphere ...

IMO he's in the Pavlich/Hall/Lucas bracket, just behind Brown (who I rate as the best of the CHFs). His numbers stack up with those guys, including (perhaps surprisingly) goal kicking accuracy. And AA selection for 2007 or not, he's a mile in front of Cam Mooney ... :rolleyes:

11 pages for this?

Change your settings, it's only 4 pages on my PC.

There was a game he played v Freo at Subi early-mid season which was bizzarre to watch...classic butchering of a fwd. He did enough work to have a dozen marks and 4 goals by halftime but everything was fired over his head, to his fingertips, to the defenders advantage etc. Poor work by his mids musta frustrated the hell out of him but he kept it going. Thats what u need from your CHF. I remember almost feeling sorry for the bimbo.

Haha, welcome to the world of Richo.

Luke McPharlin is the best on him i've seen by a longshot...has the perfect game suited to play on him and the tank to keep it going.

Interesting observation, and agree that is a good match-up. Dodd was played on him last season at Subi, and it looked to me like his role was purely to ensure that Reiwoldt got his touches (often very dubious free kicks) as far from the forward line as possible.

Roo is definately a great player. A monty top 20 player in the AFL means you are great in my book. The only reason he takes so many uncontested chest marks out wide is that he works his butt off. Is damaging and has won many games off his own boot.
I rate him on par with Pavlich, who i also think is a great player.

I think "great" is overused too. Top 20 means you make the team of the year. Top 20 from a ten year period means that of your peers, assuming a ten year career, you are in the best. I would probably only have greats from the best 10 from a decade. I don't think either Reiwoldt or Pavlich have achieved that yet, though Brown probably has on the back of his Premiership medals.

Interesting observation, and agree that is a good match-up. Dodd was played on him last season at Subi, and it looked to me like his role was purely to ensure that Reiwoldt got his touches (often very dubious free kicks) as far from the forward line as possible.

I;ve seen McPharlin do well on him...right size/speed/spring/tank etc. to go with him and he competes in the air well...the only problem is McPharlin himself not playing well enough sometimes...or the coach trying to get cute with matchups.

Simply saying that he's the best matchup for the job if u dont complicate it and just leave him one out. Assuming McPharlin is having one of his "good days" he can match up on all the power fwds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who gives a shit about the brand?!:mad:

He destroyed the fabric of the club so bad that we have finished bottom each year since he left. Oh hang on we have made the finals 3 years since his departure. Silly me.

We got the No 2 pick in the draft for him and picked up a very good player in the process. Something we wouldnt have got if he stayed and just retired in a year or 2.

Not caring about the brand, maybe that is why the Kangaroos are in financial disarray and may cease to exist as a club. The brand unfortunately is incredibily important. Advertising, marketing, membership and Sponsorship are what enables clubs to survive. It is something the Kangaroos have done very very poorly. No brand, No Club. You can have all the draft picks you want but it doesn't mean much if you don't have a club. Just ask the real Fitzroy fans.

You saying he's popular ?
To say he is hated by all is a but unusual.

Sometimes there's a "trying to be sensible and honest" hat and sometimes a "useless ugly alpaca that cant kick for shit no talent fat soapy shagging bimbo" hat

I try hard to make sure i dont resemble a Carlton or Hawthorn fan.
:D Failed ;)

Nick Riewoldt has always strugled with his goal kicking but he is a proven match winner

Over the last five seasons Riewoldt has a better conversion rate than Ottens and Fevola, who are regarded as very good kicks. He's only had one poor year statistically (2005, 33.36).

Based on observation I'd agree that he misses quite a few he's entitled to get, but he must be kicking quite a few difficult ones as well. Players with high workrates are generally more inaccurate than less mobile players.

No doubt riewoldt is a a great player and with youth on his side barring injuries will finish the game a champion.I would love to have him in my side.

A big sook perfect for a little sooky club.

Another typical Carlton supporter comment. Taking every chance to have a swipe at the Saints..

Get over, it's getting rather old. Your club has some half decent players now, time to start focusing on them and not the Saints.

P:S - One of the best CHF's getting round and to make it simple, find me a club who wouldn't want him in their list? None.

Hence, someone who is wanted by all, is a great.

Over the last five seasons Riewoldt has a better conversion rate than Ottens and Fevola, who are regarded as very good kicks. He's only had one poor year statistically (2005, 33.36).

Based on observation I'd agree that he misses quite a few he's entitled to get, but he must be kicking quite a few difficult ones as well. Players with high workrates are generally more inaccurate than less mobile players.

Realistic post...the guy's kicking ratio is pretty similar to Pavlich who has played a lot closer to goal in recent times. Noone says Pavlich is anything but a good kick. Ottens and Fevola are damn good kicks so thats a bit of a surprise.
There was a lot of media talk about him having the yips a cpl of seasons ago but all KPP's get them from time to time. Riewoldt was a damn good kick early in his career but now he seems to be typecast by the media and the wally's that swallow everything they talk about as gospel then never let it go.

As u rightly said the guys with the higher workrate are often less accurate...and also not many take into account that he takes a lot of his kicks from wider out or tough wide angles due to the nature of his role further out. Its a luxury having a dual coleman medallist in the square behind him..it enables them to play the guy as a lead out marking target and link outside the arc...ineveitably tho it means he shouldnt have the best kicking numbers going around.

Jon Brown is a good kick but has gone thru the yips before...noone mentions it though. Pavlich sprays his share too despite looking like being a good kick...goes unmentioned.

Fact is that when he has been forced to play more of a FF role due to injuries his record is pretty damn impressive...that tells me a lot compared to other players who are staying much closer to goal now.

Put it this way...we all know its pretty much the toughest role on the paddock and not many can do it well....but the worst part must be being in papers as having "cost them the game" coz a CHF was supposedly innaccurate for 2-3. Go back awhile and thats not a bad return for a lead up CHF. Occasional bags of 5 and 6 if played closer to goal. 3 or 4 from that type in a game is a sizeable haul.

You run flat out on a decoy plus main lead across the arc covering 80m then try to mark it in front of TWO quality AFL standard defenders at the end of it...then try to catch your breath to take a shot from 55m. Then keep it going for 4 qtrs and not just in spurts when u have your breath back.

Its a freaky workrate some of these KPP's have now days..especially compared to just 10yrs ago.

I think after this season, he has shown what a great player he is. people questioned him early but he has been sensational yet again. great? hell yes.:D

And how!

But i'm happy to have people not rate him... do it at your own peril

I still find it funny that people don't think he 'wins game off his own boot'...

Ask the roos and hawks and freo what they think about that!

I'm past the point of having to defend players from St kilda. Rate em, don't rate em, i hardly think the opinion of a keyboard warrior counts for much anyways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Nick Reiwoldt a great player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back