MRP / Trib. Isaac Heeney - High contact on Jimmy Webster

Remove this Banner Ad

he didn't deliberately do it.

But he still did it.
he absolutely deliberately turned and hit him. you can argue about whether he was aiming for teh face, but the fact is he deliberately struck him and that strike was to the face and caused an injury. it's cut and dry

Heeney confirmed not a good bloke
it's a little bit interesting, because it seems the Swans didn't submit the claim before 11am today which is what the Tribunal guidelines says needs to happen

The Swans argued there were exceptional and compelling circumstances, aka the “good bloke” rule, saying Heeney’s 193 games with two fines were at least close to the “gold standard” of Charlie Cameron escaping a ban for his 207 games of a good record (though he had been fined five times).

The AFL argued the rule did not apply, firstly because the Swans had not raised it before the hearing, but also because Tom Barrass failed with that ruling having played some 70 fewer games, and because Cameron’s case was unusual for several other reasons.

but it seems that the Tribunal listened to it anyway, and then declined it

Then a submission that the act attracts the operation of regulation 19.6(a) two, in that there are exceptional and compelling circumstances which would make it inappropriate to apply the consequences of appendix one to the classification that's been determined by the tribunal for an offence.

We do not find that the circumstances of this strike that has been graded as intentional render it appropriate to apply the appendix A classification.

he absolutely deliberately turned and hit him. you can argue about whether he was aiming for teh face, but the fact is he deliberately struck him and that strike was to the face and caused an injury. it's cut and dry

How do you watch tv whilst being blind? Is there some new Braille tech TVs out there? Amazing times we live in!

Getting my tin foil hat on, the AFLs "betting partners" all just made bank on Heeney for brownlow losses, and now all the major contenders are Victorian, where the weight of consumers is who might have a wager on Bont or Cripps now

Entertainment league, not a sports league.

nah i reckon Heeney deserves the week but i 100% disagree he did it deliberatley

he hasnt even looking when he swung his arm back and hit the head.

There are at least TWO reasons why Heeney’s case should be considered ‘UNUSUAL’.

1 - The rule was AMENDED to ‘intentional’, to catch players who were jostling prior to a lead and making head contact as they grappled. Heeney was neither grappling or jostling.

2 - Heeney was being ILLEGALLY restrained by Webster, had Webster not ‘clung on’ Heeney would not have need to try to clear his arms and thus made contact.

By rights, the Umpire was to blame for not paying holding the man against Webster.

As such, the action DOES NOT fit the intention of the rule, nor would a guilty finding serve the natural justice of the situation.

AND - to throw a wrench in the works, I think Dempsey MAY have collected Heeney’s knee…falling fwd. Lets see what comes up at the hearing.
Reading this jumble of words gave me a headache....wrench in the works lololol

nah i reckon Heeney deserves the week but i 100% disagree he did it deliberatley

he hasnt even looking when he swung his arm back and hit the head.
That's the thing that's hard to fathom out of this. I don't understand how they can uphold it was intentional when he wasn't looking in his opponents direction.

Getting my tin foil hat on, the AFLs "betting partners" all just made bank on Heeney for brownlow losses, and now all the major contenders are Victorian, where the weight of consumers is who might have a wager on Bont or Cripps now

Why post such rubbish?

Anyone can find a vicbias/nonvicbias angle to anything.

Imagine being so daft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you watch tv whilst being blind? Is there some new Braille tech TVs out there? Amazing times we live in!
answer these three qwuestions:

1. did he swing the arm?
2. did he swing knowing webster was there?
3 did the swinging arm strike webster in the face and cause injury?

WHen you answer yes (the only correct response) to all three of those questions, then if you have a modicum of sense, youll reach the natural conclusion that he was lucky to get off with only a week and anyone arguing he should have got off is legit taking the piss almost certainly because their Swans bias is seriously clouding their judgment

If you want to play the Vic Bias angle, Butters got off earlier in the season. So did Cameron.

Fyfe as well a few years ago in 2015 for this incident.

I say this as a supporter that hates Victorian sides.

If you want to play the Vic Bias angle, Butters got off earlier in the season. So did Cameron.

Fyfe as well a few years ago in 2015 for this incident.

I say this as a supporter that hates Victorian sides.

Yeah but Butters escaped because they were able to argue that the impact did not meet the threshold of a Reportable Offence (negligible vs low impact) and Cameron got off using a rare clause that I very much doubt AFL house was happy about

There's no conspiracy here just as there was no conspiracy when Jesse Hogan and Butters got their charges squashed.

What's funny here is, for the all the Essendon and Swans supporters posting and arguing, the suspension this is probably most like from this season is Mason Redman's one. These were both almost perfect examples of what the AFL is trying to stamp out, and they didn't have an escape route like Hogan and Butters did.

Whether the AFL should be trying to crackdown on this is a perfectly reasonable argument, but the way the rule is written, Heeney (& Redman) didn't have much of a chance of getting it thrown out

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Isaac Heeney - High contact on Jimmy Webster

Remove this Banner Ad

Back