MRP / Trib. Isaac Heeney - High contact on Jimmy Webster

Remove this Banner Ad

No, because your knee isn't usually located on your head.

Im not defending anything BTW. I think it was careless, but the rule states it is intentional.

I am quite OK with heeney getting off. But then they need to re write the rule.
Neither is your chest, which is the area Heeney swatted at with a downward motion.

Heeney got him in the head. If Sydney wanted to challenge that aspect, they needed to do it on Tuesday.
What aspect? We challenged that it wasn't intentional. Which it wasn't.

Here’s that ‘swinging backfist’ for you Essendon boys..

Looks like an attempt to chop an arm to me.

Oh and look, Webster is hanging on and the ball is 30 metres away.

Oh and look, Webster is almost in a full squat.

And oh look, Heeney is looking down aiming for his chest.

and oh look, hardly the USUAL push and shove in the square this was brought in to stop.

0422EA95-9ABC-4659-86D6-62F600B77D98.jpeg

Heeney threw a blind backhand and copped a guy in the face.

Why didn't he do what most forwards do and have done for a hundred years and engaged from front on and attempt to shove Websters chest to increase seperation?
Almost every forward in the game would throw an arm trying to break a jumper hold every game.

Last edited:
Is the argument that they should overturn because the suspension of this act can cause him to lose the potential to win the Brownlow?

If so, I hope they keep him suspended. Imagine thinking it is okay to just hit a player without consequence because you are a Brownlow favourite.
Nope, missed it by a mile.

The argument is ruling this as intentional is wrong -

Heeney did not attempt to strike Webster, it was a clearing action - he did not look at Webster and did not know where his head was.

Webster contributed to the action by grappling illegally.

The Tribunal failed to consider this evidence and in fact made statements contrary to Heeney’s evidence.

This was not the USUAL action that might warrant an intentional finding.

Clued in now?

Well, looking at that I have to say I’m wrong.

I watched that vid on Twitter, much higher def than TV or You Tube, and yes…I can see it was a backhander across the nose.

Up until this I’d believed it was more incidental than anythjng, part of Webster falling forward.
Just to remind you what you conceded yesterday, in case you forgot.

Nope, missed it by a mile.

The argument is ruling this as intentional is wrong -

Heeney did not attempt to strike Webster, it was a clearing action - he did not look at Webster and did not know where his head was.

Webster contributed to the action by grappling illegally.

The Tribunal failed to consider this evidence and in fact made statements contrary to Heeney’s evidence.

This was not the USUAL action that might warrant an intentional finding.

Clued in now?

I just thought it was the case because of some of Longmire's comments

Oldest post of this live blog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here’s that ‘swinging backfist’ for you Essendon boys..

Looks like an attempt to chop an arm to me.

Oh and look, Webster is hanging on and the ball is 30 metres away.

Oh and look, Webster is almost in a full squat.

And oh look, Heeney is looking down aiming for his chest.

and oh look, hardly the USUAL push and shove in the square this was brought in to stop.

View attachment 2045208
Firstly, full squat? Yeah, no. Completely incorrect. He's not even 45 degrees. Basically the same angle as Heeney.
Secondly, there's no proof in that photo that he is holding. You're just guessing.
Thirdly, holding or not, that's no excuse for hitting someone in the face recklessly.
Fourthly, looking down at the chest? lol, that's beyond dumb. You don't need to look at something before pushing there. Ever heard of peripheral vision?

I don't think he meant any of it. But it was reckless and should just cop a fine.

But everyone talking about him missing the Brownlow have completely lost the plot. Since when do people actually value this flawed award? People should use this time as an opportunity to reflect on themselves as a footy supporter and ask themselves why they even care about the midfielders medal awarded by umpires that aren't even focussing on anything outside of umpiring the game.

Firstly, full squat? Yeah, no. Completely incorrect. He's not even 45 degrees. Basically the same angle as Heeney.
Secondly, there's no proof in that photo that he is holding. You're just guessing.
Thirdly, holding or not, that's no excuse for hitting someone in the face recklessly.
Fourthly, looking down at the chest? lol, that's beyond dumb. You don't need to look at something before pushing there. Ever heard of peripheral vision?

I don't think he meant any of it. But it was reckless and should just cop a fine.

But everyone talking about him missing the Brownlow have completely lost the plot. Since when do people actually value this flawed award? People should use this time as an opportunity to reflect on themselves as a footy supporter and ask themselves why they even care about the midfielders medal awarded by umpires that aren't even focussing on anything outside of umpiring the game.
You’re going to argue about a squat now?

They're throwing hail Mary's now
So am I

Pray A League Of Their Own GIF by Laff

MRP / Trib. Isaac Heeney - High contact on Jimmy Webster

Remove this Banner Ad

Back