Its Official: Our Next Captain Is...........

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be between 3 and have broken it up into 6 categories - Position, State of Birth, Consistency, Discipline, Experience and age (presuming taking over in 2011):

Scott Thompson - Age in 2011: 28
Pros: Midfielder, Experienced and South Australian / Cons: Consistency and can be undisciplined

Nathan van Berlo - Age in 2011: 25
Pros:
Midfielder, Semi Experienced and Disciplined / Cons: Consistency and is a Western Australian - I still think this will play a major part as are the crows and the SA supporters ready to have and interstate captain?

Ben Rutten - Age in 2011: 28
Pros: Consistent, Disciplined, Experienced and South Australian / Cons: Probably the major one to why he mightn't be captain he's a defender and i believe a midfielder or in extreme cases e.g. Jonathon Brown a Forward can only be captain of a club

Outsiders:
Jason Porplyzia - Age in 2011: 27
Brent Reilly - Age in 2011: 28

Scott Thompson, in my opinion has always been our captain in waiting. I will get slammed for saying anything critical about VB, but I am still in the old school mentality of a good captain needs to be a good leader on and off the field and be one of the best players in the side.

Thompson presents well and is an onfield general and would be in our top five players at the club.

Rutten could possibly be too quiet and Van Berlo while being acknowledged as a good leader off the field in my mind has yet to take the next step as a player.

I think as early as possibly next year we should have a new captain.

Has turned himself from a very good player to an elite in the past two years. No doubt at all that he is an elite footballer in this competition. Just needs to perform on the big stage now for him to really put his name forward as a top 20 player.

Still shake my head that we didnt bother chasing him. Ridiculous.

This thread is making me depressed.

I want him back at the dees :mad:

anyway he should be your next captain.

i think we could use him back.

Should Scott Thompson be AFC captain in 2009?

A few years ago some on this board didn't think he was captain material because of his supposed lack of discipline and his poor diposal. However, over the last 2 years he has taken his game and character to another level and lack of discipline is no longer a problem.

He has all the characteristics that we Crow supporters love in our captains ( Bickley, McDermott, Roo) - he's tough, in and under, respected by both his teammates and opposition and leads by example.

As Goody only has one, possibly two years left, at the end of this year he must hand over the reins so we have a leader who can lead our promising youngsters into the next phase of our existence.

Van Berlo may be an option in the future but Thommo is the man for today.

Thoughts.

It will be between 3 and have broken it up into 6 categories - Position, State of Birth, Consistency, Discipline, Experience and age (presuming taking over in 2011):

Pros: Midfielder, Experienced and South Australian / Cons: Consistency and can be undisciplined

Pros:
Midfielder, Semi Experienced and Disciplined / Cons: Consistency and is a Western Australian - I still think this will play a major part as are the crows and the SA supporters ready to have and interstate captain?

Pros: Consistent, Disciplined, Experienced and South Australian / Cons: Probably the major one to why he mightn't be captain he's a defender and i believe a midfielder or in extreme cases e.g. Jonathon Brown a Forward can only be captain of a club

Outsiders:
Why 2011? :confused: You're not assuming that Goody will play another 2 years after this? The guy is 32 later this year and any player that age is a year by year proposition at best. Even if he does end up playing another 2 years I'll be amazed if we haven't appointed a new captain by then. I'd actually like to see a new captain appointed next year. We're going to experience a huge change at the club in the next couple of years with the loss of some all time greats and I think it would be a great move for the new captain to have at least a year while those blokes are still around.

For me it's Thommo and has been for a while. The big question is, is he considered captaincy material within the club? He's certainly playing like one. The next thing is he's not in the leadership group this year. Is it conceivable that a player not in this year's leadership group could be appointed captain the following year? This is where the players alone appointing the leadership group falls down; they are not thinking of succession planning when they pick their preferred leaders. The club needs to oversee this next year and ensure that we have a few more of the younger brigade in the leadership group next year.

Agree.
Still time for the van Berlo camp to come to the table though.
Not sure that a fullback is an ideal choice for kapitan either - despite Ruttens obvious cred.

So yep...
Thommo
Daylight
vB
Rutten

Woops didn't see this thread. IMO Goody should hand over the captaincy to Thompson at the end of this year. As for Rutten, he shouldn't even be an option. Roo has said that the last few years he found it hard to captain the side from predominatley full forward - so shy does anyone think it will ne any easier from full back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has turned himself from a very good player to an elite in the past two years. No doubt at all that he is an elite footballer in this competition. Just needs to perform on the big stage now for him to really put his name forward as a top 20 player.

I think you're right Mac. Which players did you draft with the picks you received for J Carr?

The question was put to Roo a couple of weeks ago, I think after the Essendon game on Triple M who would be the next Captain and would Thompson, Reilly, Rutten, Knights etc be in the mix and Roo was very adament that VB would be the man for the job. The boys put up a case for Thommo but Roo wouldn't hear it and said that he and those at the club believed VB was the man which I found very interesting. Whilst I do think VB has all the leadership qualities necessary I would like to see him step his game up to the next level before he gets the big C next to the name.

Didn't we gt Thompson out of the Stenglein deal? Credence mustgo to our much maligned recruiting team to get him across. Stenglein himself was touted as a future captain, but Thompson has gone past anything he ever did.

Was very keen to play for Power too.

Just a quick fact...

The players (the ones who vote on the captaincy) didnt include Thommo in the leadership group, despite him being our premier midfielder.

Those same players voted a 21 year old Nathan van Berlo into the leadership group.

Thommo may very well be our best player at the moment, he however isnt considered our best leader by those that matter.

vB will get the job.

Pros:

Outsiders:
IMO, AFC will be looking for a new captain in 2010, even if Goodwin prolongs his career longer than expected by playing as a forward.

Thompson & VB are both the front runners. I don't think many supporters hold it against VB for being a Sandgroper. Pavlich is from SA, Kernahan one of Carlton's best from SA too. Irrelevant IMO. Also, why can't a defender be a captain as there have been some great ones too, including the current premiership captain.

Just a quick fact...

The players (the ones who vote on the captaincy) didnt include Thommo in the leadership group, despite him being our premier midfielder.

Those same players voted a 21 year old Nathan van Berlo into the leadership group.

Thommo may very well be our best player at the moment, he however isnt considered our best leader by those that matter.

vB will get the job.
Thommo probably didn't get into the leadership group because of the burnout incident last year. I dout that will affect any leadership aspirations for the future as long as he doesn't do anything similar again.

vB, no. As others have said he's not an imposing enough player to drag the team along with him. Also do we really want to be in the West Coast position of having an interstate skipper who ends up leaving. Yes he's happy here at the moment but things can change pretty quickly.

IMO you are selling Brent (reilly) a bit short... he is a good team player goes about his footy in a no fuss kind of way.....

Also he is easily in our best 22, and has apparantly (crows site) had alot to do with convincing some of the boys to stay in SA, also helped a few to settle in....

The place he is from Gisbourne doesn't have much so he wouldn't miss it!! (couldn't pass up an opportunity to bash the country folk from up the road!)

But having said all of that Thommo is prob a better choice & VB and him (Brent) i would think would be pretty level.

Thommo probably didn't get into the leadership group because of the burnout incident last year. I dout that will affect any leadership aspirations for the future as long as he doesn't do anything similar again.

vB, no. As others have said he's not an imposing enough player to drag the team along with him. Also do we really want to be in the West Coast position of having an interstate skipper who ends up leaving. Yes he's happy here at the moment but things can change pretty quickly.

I highly doubt that the burnout incident was the reason, considering Scotty has never been in the group at all.

As far as van Berlo not being an 'imposing enough player'... hes imposing enough around the club to have the respect of the playing group. You do not need to be the best player to be the best captain. Ever hear of a guy called Mark Bickley?

BTW, being from interstate is not a factor. Its only paranoid fans who keep building this up as a consideration.

As far as van Berlo not being an 'imposing enough player'... hes imposing enough around the club to have the respect of the playing group. You do not need to be the best player to be the best captain. Ever hear of a guy called Mark Bickley?
Bickley had four top ten finishes in the B&F before being named captain, including two top three finishes. VB has had one top ten finish.

Just on the leadership vote system, can the players vote for a player to be in the leadership group without it being a recommendation for him to be captain? Is the voting for captain and leadership group separate or is it all done at once?

Remove this Banner Ad

Its Official: Our Next Captain Is...........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back