Toast Jack Lonie the resurrection

Remove this Banner Ad

A quintessential example of my point made elsewhere: we can't ditch young players who've shown glimpses of potential until we improve our coaching.

Made that point too. The majority of our 3/4/5 yr players should be untouchable at this stage.
Billings, Steele, Paddy, Sincs, Lonie, DMac, Acres, Long should be going nowhere.
Obviously the newbies in Battle, Marshall, the Coff and Clark etc stay too.

Last edited:

2018 averages before the GWS game:

13.3 disposals
2.5 tackles (13 of which came in 2/6 games)
3.6 marks
0.8 goals
55.6 ranking points

Since the GWS game:

17.7 disposals
1.75 tackles (at least 1 in every game. Still not great but an improvement)
5.5 marks
2.5 goals
79.2 ranking points

Has shown very good improvement and if he can consistently pull those numbers or even improve, that should be enough to have him lock down a best 22 spot in the forward pocket along with Long and allow players like Billings and Gresham to play further up the ground more, which is exactly what we need. Would like to see him lift his average tackles by a couple every week but if he can do that, I'd be quite happy with his output. Good on him.

Like most have said he has always had the courage, endeavour and skill but lost his way in trying too hard. Now he has the smarts to use his talent to its best advantage.
Interesting point.

One of the things he was told to work on was his transition from defence to attack.

This was almost a year ago, but he seems to have got it right.

Ripping kid. So good luck to him.

Let this be a lesson ( yet again) to all of us who just write these young players off at the drop of a hat.
Absolutely Diehard......that's why I don't get involved in the trade Acres and Billings debate.

I'd like to see what these 2 can give us in the correct football structure/environment at the club before I entertain any trade talk.

And I have to admit....I just never thought Lonie had it in him.....he showed flashes in 2015 and I thought that year was about his ceiling.

I have constantly queried his selection.....I get the forward pressure angle but he just didn't deliver consistently.

Good on him.....hope he keeps it coming......be great for the side going forward.

The important thing is, like with most of our younger brigade, that they get to play blocks of games. I think guys like Phillips, White and Coff etc, need minimum four to six in a row regardless of form (good or bad), then maybe a couple back. Then reset for another 4-6. Rinse and repeat for the season.

Consistency of game time will prove whether the player is up to it - not so much skewed opinions from the outer.

Well done young man , you sure put me back in my box and its amazing what some confidence does in a kid . 6-8 weeks ago he couldn't hardly kick the ball 40 mtrs .
Talking of confidence how come even though we have been playing crap Jack has been good , maybe he is a lot tougher mentally than a few of the other boys down there ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate to burst the love lonie bubble, but the feeling I got from listening to ep6 of the Lethlean podcast is that Jack's papers have been stamped and he's happy that he's giving himself every chance to be traded.

Hope I'm wrong. I've always liked Jack Lonie, always given him a chance right up until I got a bit ruthless earlier this year and decided to delist him.

Lethlean is pretty ruthless too so I've heard so I wouldn't be surprised if Jack Lonie will be in new colours next year playing much better that he had for us. Could be the next Tom Lynch.

Or we could give him a new deal and he could be the goal sneak we've been hoping he could become for us.

Hope it's the latter.

Or we could give him a new deal and he could be the goal sneak we've been hoping he could become for us.
austinnn…...I'd be amazed if the above doesn't happen(a new contract).....thru my eyes giving Lonie the bullet would absolutely make no sense.....no way I would have said that 3 months ago.

There's several in the "papers to be stamped" queue in front of Lonie IMO.

Hate to burst the love lonie bubble, but the feeling I got from listening to ep6 of the Lethlean podcast is that Jack's papers have been stamped and he's happy that he's giving himself every chance to be traded.

Hope I'm wrong. I've always liked Jack Lonie, always given him a chance right up until I got a bit ruthless earlier this year and decided to delist him.

Lethlean is pretty ruthless too so I've heard so I wouldn't be surprised if Jack Lonie will be in new colours next year playing much better that he had for us. Could be the next Tom Lynch.

Hope it's the latter.

Yeah it was interesting as he chose his words carefully.. it wasn't the best response four him staying, although he may have been trying to be impartial.

Hope it's the latter.
Not sure what gave you that impression. Was just a standard cliche answer for a guy out of contract.

Not sure what gave you that impression. Was just a standard cliche answer for a guy out of contract.
He was asked directly about Lonie and his form and said something like it's great that he's put himself back into our calculations and that he's taken the initiative to put himself in the shop window. Maybe he's trying to send a "you're not home yet, buddy" type message or something, but I thought it was instructive that the second part got a mention.

I've been super critical of him over the last couple of seasons. He looked cooked. But gee what a turn around. He's up there with Membrey as our most effective forward now.

I suspect he's been very selfless and uncompromising in his fight back too. Just goes to show it doesn't matter how you start or any dips you have. It's how you get back that matters.

How do we get him to rub off on others like acres and billings.

So should he be recontracted and for how many years?

My personal opinion is give him two years and not on bargain basement price either. Look after him.

I have always been a fan of him.
Always applies a lot of pressure and loves playing for the club

austinnn…...I'd be amazed if the above doesn't happen(a new contract).....thru my eyes giving Lonie the bullet would absolutely make no sense.....no way I would have said that 3 months ago.

There's several in the "papers to be stamped" queue in front of Lonie IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lethlean does some shock trades. He's desperate to make himself look like a doer, I have a feeling this will go like our last few few messiahs where we all jump in behind him and then 5 years down the track we'll be hating all his stuff ups.

I've always seen/believed in the talent and smarts he has (he wasn't MVP for Vic Country at the champs for no reason) and I always thought he would have gone top 10 in that draft had he been 10cm taller and had the same skills/output and so-on (just as Caleb Daniel would have, had he likewise been 180cm+, in the same draft), and we all saw that talent on show in yr 1, but I'd been pretty mystified as to what the hell happened to him between his 2nd preseason and 6 weeks ago, where he just seemed to have lost his spark/mojo and so-on, and I thought he was a goner as a result of that.

Maybe he'd just become too dour and defensive focused, but whatever it is I'm glad he's back, as not too many have the smarts he has, or the ability to pull off some of the kicks he does. He has natural footy ability and skill.

As I've said previously, I also don't see why he couldn't play some good footy on the wing, given he's meant to have good endurance and is proven in the midfield at VFL level, and also was in the U18's.

Schneider did so at times at just 1cm taller than him and Daniel does at about 7cm shorter, so I don't see why Jack couldn't.

Let's just hope he's back in business for good!

Last edited:
I think he has approached the way he tackles/chases opposition players.

Previously he has been full steam ahead trying to tackle front on and was either getting brushed aside/failing to stick or side stepped past him. Now he is more so corraling the player and letting them run at him hence tackles numbers being down but pressure being more effective.

I've always seen/believed in the talent and smarts he has (he wasn't MVP for Vic Country at the champs for no reason) and I always thought he would have gone top 10 in that draft had he been 10cm taller and had the same skills/output and so-on (just as Caleb Daniel would have, had he likewise been 180cm+, in the same draft), and we all saw that talent on show in yr 1, but I'd been pretty mystified as to what the hell happened to him between his 2nd preseason and 6 weeks ago, where he just seemed to have lost his spark/mojo and so-on, and I thought he was a goner as a result of that.

Maybe he'd just become too dour and defensive focused, but whatever it is I'm glad he's back, as not too many have the smarts he has, or the ability to pull off some of the kicks he does. He has natural footy ability and skill.

As I've said previously, I also don't see why he couldn't play some very good footy on the wing, given he's meant to have good endurance and is proven in the midfield at VFL level, and also was in the U18's.

Schneider did so at times at just 1cm taller than him and Daniel does at about 7cm shorter, so I don't see why Jack couldn't.

Let's just hope he's back for good!

Had to become more accountable. Probs went too far?

I'd be happy to give him one year with the promise to extend it mid year if he performs.

We all got excited about Luke end of last year as well.

Would like to see Jack carry that form into 2019 before making along term commitment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Jack Lonie the resurrection

Remove this Banner Ad

Back