Rumour Jack Luk-no-sius

Remove this Banner Ad

Take away the competition with the mob down the road, and it really is the right move for him, and us. As has been rightfully pointed out, we need elite midfielders, not half forward flankers with question marks for the value to be paid.

Whether it is the right move for Port will require time to assess.

He will be paid as the main banana in that forward line, but he is not the main man, more the support act.

If you compare Luko to Rankine during their time at the Suns, Luko has been a lot better

Rankine became a star since arriving at us, there's a chance Luko will improve as well, as a lot of players do leaving Gold Coast

I'll be pretty annoyed if Port pay less for a contracted Luko with better exposed form than we did for Rankine
Mate this is genuinely trolling your own board and hope (assume) you are joking. Not one sane person on ANY forum or in ANY media report expects Power to pay MORE than we did for Rankine. You think they will pay pick 4 or more? 2 x first rounders perhaps instead for a skilled but soft third tall on 950k per year?

2 simple questions for you?

(1) is he worth 900-950k per year? If not, do you understand this is a partial salary dump and what that means for relative trade value received?
(2) why do you think a triple premiership coach is getting rid of a player at the first available opportunity?

Covid is irrelevant, people may not agree with him being AA, but he was clearly in the top % of his position.
DBJ is not banged up and is 5 years younger than Dixon.

Sorry Covid year is totally relevant.

All the Vic clubs in hubs playing away from home for every single game. Would you rather be in your own bed or a hotel bed for months on end?

It is the flag that Port had wrapped up until they shat the bed against Richmond.

lots of bed wetting here but who is this Key Position player you speak of?

Please dont say Luko as that would be laughable. Just reflecting and wondering why a triple premiership coach is getting rid of Luko at the first opportunity - your thoughts?

'and unlike us they don't have to give up top end picks for him either' - sorry I didnt realise the trade details have been announced. can you please clarify as I cant find this on my news feed. are they only giving up a F2??
Luko is the kpf the guy that kicked 39 goals last year and about to enter his prime. I daresay playing and sharing that forward line as the main target with georgiades points to that.

You can celebrate missing another target all you want to but at some point this club needs to pull its socks up and be competitive again and adding high end talent with high ceilings helps that. And being constantly shit makes it pretty unappealing to attract talent.

And we have high picks because we are shit and finish low on the ladder so when other clubs come to the trade table with us they are well aware they can get better currency from us.

What picks did port give for jhf and rioli? And what picks did we have at the time and what do you think a trade would have looked like with us had jhf chosen us?

Luko is the kpf the guy that kicked 39 goals last year and about to enter his prime. I daresay playing and sharing that forward line as the main target with georgiades points to that.

You can celebrate missing another target all you want to but at some point this club needs to pull its socks up and be competitive again and adding high end talent with high ceilings helps that. And being constantly shit makes it pretty unappealing to attract talent.

And we have high picks because we are shit and finish low on the ladder so when other clubs come to the trade table with us they are well aware they can get better currency from us.

What picks did port give for jhf and rioli? And what picks did we have at the time and what do you think a trade would have looked like with us had jhf chosen us?
He's a good player, maybe even better than that.... but hes not a KPF

Mate this is genuinely trolling your own board and hope (assume) you are joking. Not one sane person on ANY forum or in ANY media report expects Power to pay MORE than we did for Rankine. You think they will pay pick 4 or more? 2 x first rounders perhaps instead for a skilled but soft third tall on 950k per year?

2 simple questions for you?

(1) is he worth 900-950k per year? If not, do you understand this is a partial salary dump and what that means for relative trade value received?
(2) why do you think a triple premiership coach is getting rid of a player at the first available opportunity?

I don't think there is any expectation that Port will pay more than we did for Rankine.

But on face value, Lukosius is worth more based on exposed form than Rankine was at the time we traded for him. And this value should increase because he's contracted. You could even make a case that his position further increases his value (tall forward vs small forward).

I think Crows fans should be annoyed if Gold Coast hand over a contracted, more experienced player to Port for less than we paid for Rankine. It would certainly annoy me if they accept less because it's a salary dump while bleeding us dry for Rankine, where yet again Gold Coast's poor list management benefits everyone but us.

Always a shame to miss out on talent, especially local talent about to enter the prime of their career. However given what it would have likely taken to get the trade done, which is a draft pick at the pointy end of the draft, and the fact that Luko would likely play in a role we're already flush for talent, this isn't a huge loss. We can now target a young player in an area of greater need with that pick.

At least, we can in theory - despite what history says about how we spend our first round draft picks...

Nice rant but very off topic. My point is Luko is not a KPF, he ain’t the guy in the last quarter of a big final that will stand in front of a big pack and clunk marks, or outbody decent defenders one on one (he may beat the BZT types but there aren’t many such soft duds in the league).

They needed a Dixon replacement but have got a soft third tall who is the cream, not the cake. I would have taken him at the crows - assuming not overpaying pick wise - as a hff/wing or perhaps third tall forwards AT BEST

NOT A KPF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice rant but very off topic. My point is Luko is not a KPF, he ain’t the guy in the last quarter of a big final that will stand in front of a big pack and clunk marks, or outbody decent defenders one on one (he may beat the BZT types but there aren’t many such soft duds in the league).

They needed a Dixon replacement but have got a soft third tall who is the cream, not the cake. I would have taken him at the crows - assuming not overpaying pick wise - as a hff/wing or perhaps third tall forwards AT BEST

NOT A KPF

I don't know why people are suggesting Lukosius can't play as a key position forward, when he did in 2023 for Gold Coast and finished with 39 goals (1 goal behind Ben King) in a side that finished 15th

I don't think there is any expectation that Port will pay more than we did for Rankine.

But on face value, Lukosius is worth more based on exposed form than Rankine was at the time we traded for him. And this value should increase because he's contracted. You could even make a case that his position further increases his value (tall forward vs small forward).

I think Crows fans should be annoyed if Gold Coast hand over a contracted, more experienced player to Port for less than we paid for Rankine. It would certainly annoy me if they accept less because it's a salary dump while bleeding us dry for Rankine, where yet again Gold Coast's poor list management benefits everyone but us.
Ok but you would clearly understand “better exposed form” over 6 full years compared to effectively 3 years for Rankine is nothing like apples with apples?

So question:

Would you generally expect a player in their 5th and 6th year to be performing better than in their 2nd and 3rd year?

And the answer to my other 2 questions?

I don't know why people are suggesting Lukosius can't play as a key position forward, when he did in 2023 for Gold Coast and finished with 39 goals (1 goal behind Ben King) in a side that finished 15th
To me he's more of a Tom Ranga Lynch type at his best, which isnt a bad thing

This is not to say he will be bad for them but with how he can play and appear, put this guy on whipping-boy watch with that lot once he's nestled in for a bit.
He is better than Marshall and is a better field kick than most. If they get lucky and Lord can get up to speed, they will have Luko, Georgiades and Lord as their 3 talls. Then if they get a mid they are going for at this draft from the Houston trade, it will eventually be hoped that Rozee can spend more time forward and with SPP and Rioli, that will be quite a serviceable forward line for them

Why is a triple premiership winning coach getting rid of him at the first available opportunity then?

When we hoped he would come to the crows NOBODY was suggesting a KPF. It was third tall at best or more likely “connector” hff or wing. True KPF have the strength, weight or size - like The Fog. Like Tex. like TT. Luko is so not that player

NOT A KPF

Lol at just saying he won't outbody someone late in a finals game whatever makes you feel better. He wants the opportunity to have a shot at that which I am sure was a factor in not choosing us.

He's potentially ideal for finals considering gorillas don't usually dominate finals especially grand finals and ground level forwards can impact especially at his height

This is not to say he will be bad for them but with how he can play and appear, put this guy on whipping-boy watch with that lot once he's nestled in for a bit.
Yep agreed. Ultimate whipping boy on massive coin. See the Power forum and their takedown of already soft players in their team - Captain Courageos, BZT, Burgoyne (before the semi). Power fans hate soft players

Ok but you would clearly understand “better exposed form” over 6 full years compared to effectively 3 years for Rankine is nothing like apples with apples?

So question:

Would you generally expect a player in their 5th and 6th year to be performing better than in their 2nd and 3rd year?

And the answer to my other 2 questions?

Lukosius in his first four years was a much better player than Rankine in his first four years. He backed it up in his 5th season with 39 goals after being shifted forward.

Since shifting Mac Andrew forward and bringing in Jed Walter as a highly rated key position forward, Gold Coast are trying to fit four players into three positions. Hardwick knows this and is choosing which player to move on.

That doesn't necessarily mean that Lukosius is some mega spud, although of course there should be some suspicion that Hardwick doesn't rate him as highly as the others. I think it's a bit of both him being the fourth highest rated, and also Hardwick/GC seeing him as the best player to shed to improve their list position (salary, picks, etc).

I expect that needing to salary dump him reduces his value, but why would that prevent me from being annoyed? Of course I'd be annoyed that the one player we targeted from Gold Coast is the guy they want maximum value for, meanwhile they are salary dumping other players left right and center, letting guys like Elijah Hollands go for 3rd round picks and giving away first rounders for nothing.

He is better than Marshall and is a better field kick than most. If they get lucky and Lord can get up to speed, they will have Luko, Georgiades and Lord as their 3 talls. Then if they get a mid they are going for at this draft from the Houston trade, it will eventually be hoped that Rozee can spend more time forward and with SPP and Rioli, that will be quite a serviceable forward line for them
I said he's not going to be necessarily bad for them.

Yeah, and many of them can't stand Marshall.

None of that changes the way he can appear and play.. and that lending itself (especially with them) to being a whipping-boy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Jack Luk-no-sius

Remove this Banner Ad

Back