Speculation Jack Lukosius [RFA 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

What an interesting twist of events. He must genuinely be torn because if he was truly keen to leave then a trade request would have already been reported after his exit interview. I get the feeling Dimma would ideally like to keep him, but knows his output isn't where it needs to be to justify that kind of salary cap commitment. A pay cut could very well change Dimma's mind, though.

$1.75m over the next two years is what I read. Smooth it over three years and you're looking at around $580k per year for a 24 year old who should theoretically be entering his prime years over the duration of that contract. That's a pretty good outcome for the Suns. Even if it's a bit more around the $600k a year mark then that's still a fairly good outcome considering his potential.

Regardless of whether he stays or leaves, his contract is going to be extended beyond two years to smooth the salary over a longer period. So he's taking a pay cut no matter what. It's just whether he wants a pay cut on the Gold Coast or elsewhere.

Sorry the way you explain that it indicates he is playing an extra year for nothing?

$1.75m smoothed over 3 @ $580k?
He might not be getting the $875k for the third year but let’s say he takes a cut down to $600k

So $2.35m over 3 years still puts him @$785k for the span, not $580k

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So the talk from GC supporters here that it had nothing to do with his salary are now accepting that it is?
IMO, primary reason to look around is that Luko struggles to fit into Dimma's best 22. In a couple of years, if Read and Walter develop properly, I can't see fitting King, Andrew, Read, Walter, Luko on the same team.

If you believe Ralph and others, Luko loves it on GC and is very close to Rowell, King, Anderson, Ballard. Considering a pay cut to stay with them? What can I say. Great environment when players want to stay for less while not winning. Ultimate accomplishment :cool:

Get better Luko if you want to stay 😂 . It looks like some players got home truth feedback in their exit interviews.
Gold Coast football boss Wayne Campbell has confirmed the club is happy for Jack Lukosius to speak with rivals about a possible trade – but only if the price is right.
“Jack is at a really important stage of his career and it’s important for him to know what’s best for his footy as well,” Campbell told this masthead.

“Whilst we want the best for our club we also want what’s best for Jack.

“He’s spoken to a few other clubs – we’re aware of that and we’re OK with him doing that. If he decides that his future is elsewhere, whilst we would be sad we would understand.

“But we also would be more than happy for him to come back and play at the Gold Coast Suns.”

“He wants to have a look around and we’re OK for him to have a look around but ultimately there is a business transaction that has to take place as well,” Campbell said.

“It feels like we’re at a reasonable position where it’s a mature discussion between club and player. There are no bridges that cannot be mended.”

Campbell also confirmed that small forward Malcolm Rosas and utility Jy Farrar had been given permission to speak with rival clubs ahead of the trade period.
“They’ve each got a year to go on their contracts and we’ve said to them that they are welcome to have a look around – but again, same as Jack, if it ends up that they remain at the club in 2025, then we’ll get to work and make them better players.”

Last edited:

IMO, primary reason to look around is that Luko struggles to fit into Dimma's best 22. In a couple of years, if Read and Walter develop properly, I can't see fitting King, Andrew, Read, Walter, Luko on the same team.

If you believe Ralph and others, Luko loves it on GC and is very close to Rowell, King, Anderson, Ballard. Considering a pay cut to stay with them? What can I say. Great environment when players want to stay for less while not winning. Ultimate accomplishment :cool:

Get better Luko if you want to stay 😂 .

If Luko was on 400k a year, they would be more than happy to have him. Why wouldn't you want a depth player of his quality? Every club needs them. The issue is you don't want to be paying that guy just under a million a year, especially when you know you need cap space to pay for players coming in and out over the next couple of years.
If his salary wasn't an issue, it wouldn't be one of the things be discussed if he stays now would it.
I would be pissed if I was him. They asked him to back end his contract for their list strategy, so he does, and then when it comes time to pay the back end, they want him to go, or cut his wage.

If Luko was on 400k a year, they would be more than happy to have him. Why wouldn't you want a depth player of his quality? Every club needs them. The issue is you don't want to be paying that guy just under a million a year, especially when you know you need cap space to pay for players coming in and out over the next couple of years.
If his salary wasn't an issue, it wouldn't be one of the things be discussed if he stays now would it.
I would be pissed if I was him. They asked him to back end his contract for their list strategy, so he does, and then when it comes time to pay the back end, they want him to go, or cut his wage.
The club did not ask Luko to cut his wage. Where did you see that info?

All I can see in Campbell interview that the club will be sad if he leaves and would be happy to welcome Luko back. Just work harder, Luko.

Cap issue? Luko has only 2 years left. Suns cleared up a lot of money recently. Bloody hell, cap goes up 3.2M. No need to re-sign anybody this off-season. Plenty of players leave/can leave this off-season and next one.

Last edited:
Don’t thinks it’s a salary cap squeeze like many suggested, rather an individual player not playing to the level of his contract. Different things

It’s probably not a squeeze but a tactical removal. Free up space now to help with big contracts in the future. You might trade him for unders but you’ll still get a return.

We've seen this before but at least GC are treating Luko with respect. Let's all remember the appalling way Treloar was treated by Collingwood and the dreadful lies they told, just because he'd been amenable to back ending his salary so the Pies could manage their cap incompetence.

GC in list pain now that the AFL has (rightly) cut their five additional Cat A rookie spots. Luko will be heading home, to the Crows, we have plenty of cap space to help out GC, should get a nice deal favouring us

We've seen this before but at least GC are treating Luko with respect. Let's all remember the appalling way Treloar was treated by Collingwood and the dreadful lies they told, just because he'd been amenable to back ending his salary so the Pies could manage their cap incompetence.

GC in list pain now that the AFL has (rightly) cut their five additional Cat A rookie spots. Luko will be heading home, to the Crows, we have plenty of cap space to help out GC, should get a nice deal favouring us
What list pain? Do your home work. Right now Suns have 5 senior list spots available.

I doubt there is any trading up to get top 4-5 picks this year
There looks to be an even top 7 maybe 8 at this stage with different clubs having different player's different order
I personally wouldn't want to trap up the 1-10 picks

The only time he shows any effort or motivation is when he can sniff a disposal coming his way. Doesn’t hit the packs hard enough to bring it to ground when he’s not in optimum position.

I’ve seen him referred to as an elite kick. I would say he’s a great kick who overrates his own abilities. Will often ignore team mates that are free inside forward 50 so he can have a ping from outside 50. Will always be that guy that plays 3 or 4 good games every season and have clubs thinking they can be the ones that turn him into an A Grader.

You can really tell who in the media and this board actually watches Suns games. “He’s 6’5, an elite kick and can play both ends of the ground”. That’s like me saying I look like Ryan Gosling because we are both white.

Maybe he is waiting for the team he wishes to join to complete it's season 👌

Definitely one of the primary reasons for delaying an announcement. Another is that the clubs are miles apart in terms of trade capital required. Gut feel at present is that Suns are expecting full value for an ex pick 2 that's contracted and hitting his prime years. But waiting a couple of weekends for Port's season to conclude could be where it's at. Just jokes, outside of the loss of the 2 legs off half back, I'm pretty confident you'll be playing a home prelim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club did not ask Luko to cut his wage. Where did you see that info?

All I can see in Campbell interview that the club will be sad if he leaves and would be happy to welcome Luko back. Just work harder, Luko.

Cap issue? Luko has only 2 years left. Suns cleared up a lot of money recently. Bloody hell, cap goes up 3.2M. No need to re-sign anybody this off-season. Plenty of players leave/can leave this off-season and next one.
Oh please. If the club had no issue with his wage, WTF would he be looking at taking a cut???????

What list pain? Do your home work. Right now Suns have 5 senior list spots available.
You can have 10, doesn't mean you arnt close to your limit lol.
You think everyone gets a certain amount?
Every club has around that after they have done their delistings. Good grief man

You have Rioli coming in who will be on 800k. In 2026 Mac Andrews is going to go from 150k a year to 1.5 mill a year. Matt Rowell is going to get a bump in his contract as well.
You think that you have a lazy 2.3 mill in your cap spare?

You can have 10, doesn't mean you arnt close to your limit lol.
You think everyone gets a certain amount?
Every club has around that after they have done their delistings. Good grief man

You have Rioli coming in who will be on 800k. In 2026 Mac Andrews is going to go from 150k a year to 1.5 mill a year. Matt Rowell is going to get a bump in his contract as well.
You think that you have a lazy 2.3 mill in your cap spare?
So you agree that Suns don't have list spots pain?

Oh please. If the club had no issue with his wage, WTF would he be looking at taking a cut???????
So, you got no media info that the club asked Luko to take pay cut. I thought so. You just speculate to fit your narrative as usual.

Talk to Luko. For some reason he wants to stay. Hard to understand, huh?

Last edited:

Home to the Crows?

You do know Luco was in Rozee's wedding party and they speak on the phone each day

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jack Lukosius [RFA 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back