Jack Watts dropped to Casey

Remove this Banner Ad

The point is that the #1 tag carries with it massive expectation and the burden of having to become a star player. Whether they were picked by Melbourne or another club.

By outsiders maybe. Good coaches treat all players on the list equally. Watts will be a good player. He will take longer than many others but he will get there.

By outsiders maybe. Good coaches treat all players on the list equally. Watts will be a good player. He will take longer than many others but he will get there.

That is what I meant. I'd also prefer coaches to treat them as another player and not the second coming of Jesus, but as we know the footballing world place a heap more expectations on their shoulders.

For what its worth I thought Neeld singling out Watts this year was not acceptable and placed undue pressure on him to perform.

Not so, I remember specifically saying last year I'd rather lose Scully.
I remember you wearing out your keyboard last year and telling us how you weren't going to lose Scully but lets not get the truth get in a way of a good yarn.

In any case its fairly easy to have a preference for losing someone who's in danger of leaving than someone no other club had expressed any interest in.

The point is that the #1 tag carries with it massive expectation and the burden of having to become a star player. Whether they were picked by Melbourne or another club.

Yes that true but its unfair on him thats all, he he should be judged just as anonther player imo. anyway i'm off to watch the dees pump the cats.

I agree with the Melbourne supporters that this doesn't warrant a thread but I also think it is absolutely absurd to suggest Watts has shown as much as Hurley.

One guy is rated in the top couple of players at a club sitting just outside the top 4. The other guy is struggling to crack a game at a cellar dweller club.

One guy has had a number of high finishes in club B&F's and most likely would have snagged one if he could stay on the park. How has the other guy gone?

One guy does well in the AFLCA player awards. The other guy doesn't rate a mention.

One guy has shown the ability to hold down a KP post at both ends of the ground, beating the best forwards in the game on a consistent basis, as well as being arguably the most important player on his list in terms of forward structure. The other guy can't hold down a KP post and has been smashed when tried in defence.

The myth of the AFL draft system: Stephen Reilly
"Jack has scope to play in a number of positions," Neeld said yesterday. "He's tall enough to play as a key forward, there is no doubting that. Can we put some muscle mass on him to enable him to wrestle with those big defenders? Yeah, I think we can.

"But he's also got that athletic ability and agility to play through the midfield, which is hard to match up on, so I think he'll spend his career being able to play in a number of positions."

It is a curious thing, expectation. Watts, by comparison with most others in his draft year, does not suffer greatly, if at all, and yet his reputation has and continues to do so.

Watts, it is often forgotten, was held back from senior football in his first season so he could complete his Year 12 studies and yet he has played as many games or thereabouts as Essendon's Michael Hurley (pick five), Carlton's Chris Yarran (six), Richmond's Tyrone Vickery (eight) or North Melbourne's Jack Ziebell (nine). His record at this point bears comparison with that of Hurley, seen to be the future of Essendon's attack for the next decade. Watts averages 5.1 marks a game and has kicked, in six fewer games and a poorer side, 37 goals to Hurley's 55. The Essendon man hauls in an average of 5.4 marks per game.

"Jack Watts is 196cm and is 21 years of age. He can play multiple roles," Neeld said.

"We want him to play this way, and he has a bit of improvement to do that. He's receptive to it. We've had some really good chats, productive chats during the week. He's on the training track confronting the things we want him to confront and we will see how he goes at VFL level."

Must be a slow news week for an Essendon supporter to write that article.

Players drafted in 2008 who I believe will have better careers than Jack Watts (there are some others who I have left off this list who could move to this list as well):

Nic Naitanui*
Stephen Hill*
Hamish Hartlett*
Michael Hurley*
Chris Yarran*
Daniel Rich*
Tyrone Vickery
Jack Ziebell*
Phil Davis*
Steele Sidebottom*
Luke Shuey*
Hayden Ballantyne*
Jackson Trengove
David Zaharakis*
Jack Redden*
Dayne Beams
Daniel Hannebery*
Mitch Robinson
Liam Anthony
Rory Sloane
Rhys Stanley
Samuel Jacobs*
Liam Picken
Greg Broughton
Matthew Suckling
Liam Jarrah
Tom Rockliff*
What on earth has Rhys Stanley done?

Jacobs was a top age selection in the 2006 rookie draft.

Watts was in our top ten.

This thread is as bad Mr.X's/Mr. X's 2011 Carlton thread where he asked if Andy Walker would ever deliver.

Vickery has taken less marks and had less of the ball than Watts. That's in spite of Vickery playing for a better team and getting more time up the ground by relieving Maric in the ruck. Vickery has kicked fewer goals than Hampson this year.

Must be a slow news week for an Essendon supporter to write that article.

What on earth has Rhys Stanley done?

Jacobs was a top age selection in the 2006 rookie draft.

Watts was in our top ten.

This thread is as bad Mr.X's/Mr. X's 2011 Carlton thread where he asked if Andy Walker would ever deliver.

Vickery has taken less marks and had less of the ball than Watts. That's in spite of Vickery playing for a better team and getting more time up the ground by relieving Maric in the ruck. Vickery has kicked fewer goals than Hampson this year.

Its my opinion, I see massive upside in Rhys Stanley.

Don't know why everyone is obsessed with what the draft pick was. It definitely implies pressure to succeed. Being picked earlier definitely adds pressure and some players cope whilst others don't. I think it was Purple on MMM last night in Melbourne who was defending Watts. I agree that he's had way too much pressure and expectation to succeed and he hasn't been able to mentally handle it.

Apparently he did pretty well in his last match, kicked 4 goals in Casey's 46 point win against Geelong's 2nds.

I remember you wearing out your keyboard last year and telling us how you weren't going to lose Scully but lets not get the truth get in a way of a good yarn.

In any case its fairly easy to have a preference for losing someone who's in danger of leaving than someone no other club had expressed any interest in.

Yep, I firmly believed he would stay for 3/4's of the year.

And I still would've kept Watts ahead of him.

Thanks for confirming my point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt.

I'm a big Ziebell fan as well; vastly different situations in terms of readiness for AFL football though.

Was he physically ready when he first came in? No.

He now stands at 89kgs, heavy enough to put his body into a contest and make a physical impact.

To me, he is far too timid to play as a forward.

Jack Watts (2008 draft)
2009 - 3 games, 5 goals,
2010 - 15 games, 10 goals
2011 - 22 games, 21 goals
2012 - 5 games, 4 goals
45 games, 37 goals

Michael Hurley (2008 draft)
2009 - 10 games, 10 goals
2010 - 19 games, 12 goals
2011 - 18 games, 27 goals
2012 - 4 games, 6 goals
51 games, 55 goals

Tyrone Vickery (2008 draft)
2009 - 9 games, 5 goals
2010 - 14 games, 3 goals
2011 - 22 games, 36 goals
2012 - 5 games, 5 goals
50 games, 49 goals

Jack Riewoldt (2006 draft)
2007 - 8 games, 7 goals
2008 - 18 games, 18 goals
2009 - 20 games, 32 goals
2010 - 22 games, 78 goals, All-Australian, Coleman Medal
68 games, 135 goals

Jarryd Roughead (2004 draft)
2005 - 16 games, 6 goals
2006 - 20 games, 12 goals
2007 - 22 games, 40 goals
2008 - 25 games, 75 goals
81 games, 133 goals

Lance Franklin (2004 draft)
2005 - 22 games, 21 goals
2006 - 14 games, 31 goals
2007 - 22 games, 73 goals
2008 - 25 games, 113 goals, All-Australian, Coleman Medal, best and fairest
83 games, 238 goals

Nick Riewoldt (2000 draft)
2001 - 6 games, 2 goals
2002 - 22 games, 21 goals, best and fairest
2003 - 22 games, 30 goals
2004 - 25 games, 67 goals, All-Australian, MVP, best and fairest
75 games, 120 goals

Matthew Pavlich (1999 draft)
2000 - 18 games, 14 goals
2001 - 21 games, 28 goals
2002 - 22 games, 10 goals, All-Australian FB, best and fairest
2003 - 23 games, 37 goals, All-Australian
84 games, 89 goals

Chris Tarrant (1997 draft)
1998 - 11 games, 13 goals
1999 - 13 games, 15 goals
2000 - 19 games, 28 goals
2001 - 22 games, 53 goals
65 games, 109 goals

Warren Tredrea (1996 Port draft)
1997 - 1 game, 0 goals
1998 - 17 games, 33 goals
1999 - 20 games, 40 goals
2000 - 21 games, 32 goals
59 games, 105 goals

Barry Hall (1995 draft)
1996 - 4 games, 2 goals
1997 - 15 games, 14 goals
1998 - 13 games, 6 goals
1999 - 20 games, 41 goals
52 games, 63 goals

Daniel Bradshaw (1995 draft)
1996 - 3 games, 0 goals
1997 - 16 games, 35 goals
1998 - 16 games, 19 goals
1999 - 19 games, 56 goals
54 games, 100 goals

Matthew Lloyd (1994 supplementary draft)
1995 - 5 games, 7 goals
1996 - 11 games, 18 goals
1997 - 20 games, 63 goals
1998 - 23 games, 70 goals, All-Australian
59 games, 158 goals

Fraser Gehrig (1994 draft)
1995 - 16 games, 21 goals
1996 - 24 games, 12 goals
1997 - 22 games, 31 goals, All-Australian
1998 - 23 games, 42 goals
85 games, 106 goals

Matthew Richardson (1992 draft)
1993 - 14 games, 31 goals
1994 - 19 games, 56 goals
1995 - 9 games, 27 goals
1996 - 22 games, 91 goals, All-Australian
64 games, 205 goals

Chris Grant (1989 draft)
1990 - 20 games, 51 goals
1991 - 15 games, 18 goals
1992 - 24 games, 50 goals
1993 - 17 games, 33 goals
76 games, 151 goals

Wayne Carey
1989 - 4 games, 0 goals
1990 - 21 games, 38 goals
1991 - 14 games, 28 goals
1992 - 21 games, 46 goals, best and fairest
60 games, 112 goals

He was reluctant to nominate for the draft (well as we were to believe)

Clearly his heart is not quite in it, somewhat similar to Nathan Ablett.

NFI why Melbourne didn't take anyone else (Rich or NicNat) at the time.

Garry Lyon just said on MMM that Watts was only "ok" today, and that if you didn't know him he wouldn't stick out as a senior player demanding selection. Said he doesn't get enough of the ball. That's not my words, that's the way Garry saw Jack's game

The SEN commentators doing the pre-game for Geel v Melb weren't that impressed by his game either.

In short, their opinion was: Watts can run around on the wing/flank and get 20 possies and bang a few goals in his sleep, at VFL level. What we wanted to see was some real hardness and inside work and "grunt", and we didn't necessarily see that.

You have to take the good with the bad. Being Pick 1 carries the expectation that you will turn into a star. It also means you are given more chances to play senior football. If Jack Watts was Pick 60 he would be delisted by now. Gumbleton at pick 2 has been given contract extensions and his high draft pick was a major factor in that. Being pick 1 is a relevant factor for Watts.

That's ridiculous, because he isn't that type of player.. ESPECIALLY as a midfielder.

Um, isn't that the knock on Watts even from Dees supporters; he has silky skills when he gets it, just getting it is the problem? That he needs some mongrel and grunt and desire for the contest in him?

That was what the commentators were saying: what's the point of dropping him, only to then let him run around picking up uncontested possies on the wing? Someone of Watts' talent can get 20 touches at VFL level going at half rat power. He's not learning anything.

You have no idea what he's learning, apparently he laid 3 tackles inside the first 10 minutes of the game... I have no idea about the rest of the game but that's a good start.

Getting it is not a problem, he can win the ball at ground level.

Maintaining his intensity is the problem, he actually has gotten 45% of his disposals this year (AFL) in a contested situation... so maybe you've been sucked in by this group think that all he does is rack up cheap stats?

Looks like sTeeL doesn't even know what board he's on, much less knowing anything much about Watts one way or the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Watts dropped to Casey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back